Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjeHeAzZZM[/youtube]

And there's also a petition to bring the movie's "R" rating down to PG-13 so that the kids can see it:
http://www.change.org/petitions/mpaa-do ... n-r-rating

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

why is it R rated?

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
why is it R rated?

Because the MPAA are, among other things, hardliners on just how many f-bombs you can have in a film regardless of the context. (see also The King's Speech)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

Having your child committing suicide is every parent's worst nightmare.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

I listened to an interview with the filmmaker. he said the "R" rating was because of language but he was against bleeping because it would detract from the brutal reality of bullying and would be just another way of telling a victim of bullying that "it's not that bad". The MMPG noted that a parent could still take their under 17 child to see it. The interview also included Kelby (I think) one of the featured kids in the film. It was an interview on The Diane Rhem Show on NPR and probably available on podcast.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:25 am

Most people I know now, including my kids, rarely go see movies in theaters. They may go to one when it first comes out if they have waited for it forever, like Harry Potter or Twilight, etc. I'm sure they will for the Hunger Games too. Most of the time they watch things on Netflix or online. I've never ever been one to worry about ratings. I don't care about the ratings of a movie or anything. Watching something isn't going to hurt them and I really think they should just abolish the rules about who can or can't see what. They can keep the ratings system in place for parents who are so terrified of their kids getting exposed to real life, and those parents can forbid their kids from seeing the movie, but otherwise, I'd say drop the rating system completely.

Plus, it's not that hard to get into an R rated movie if you have a fake ID or look 17 or have someone over 17 buy the tickets. Most people don't check.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

Yeah, I don't restrict my son in what he sees. My mother recently mentioned a forensics show on TV she thought I'd enjoy but said it wasn't appropriate for my son. I didn't tell her about the gore he finds on the internet and shows me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Aimless wrote:
Yeah, I don't restrict my son in what he sees. My mother recently mentioned a forensics show on TV she thought I'd enjoy but said it wasn't appropriate for my son. I didn't tell her about the gore he finds on the internet and shows me.

My daughter is pretty inured to TV and movie gore these days.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:32 am

i try to be a good person, and the one thing i am most proud of is bullying the bullys. i never could stand seeing it(and hated being bullyed) when i saw it in school i would verbaly attack them wial they where doing it, and a few times had to fight them. but it made me strong and also changed our school for the better. it is eazy to cut down a bully once you know that the reason they do it cus of there own insacuritys(SP). i've always had a gift of being able to see into peoples feelings and i fell bad about the times i used it incorrectly, but shuting up all the bullys in my school was worth the road i had to travel to get there. because of my middle school explotions most people were afraid of me in high school, the rest could be verbaly attacked.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:42 pm

Here's an update about the rating fight:

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/weins ... 12117.html

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2012, 8:50 pm

Why isn't school R-rated? :P

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

I'm glad Weinstein told the MPAA to go screw itself with this move. What worries me, however, is that earlier in this fight, the National Association Of Theater Owners threatened Weinstein by giving all his future releases the NC-17 minimal distribution treatment if he turned down the R rating. While I'm glad that Weinstein and the filmmakers had the guts to call their bluff, I certainly hope that's all it was: a bluff.

Last edited by crmoore on 28 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

it looks like this movie will be seen mostly by people outside of america. every day makes me more ashamed to be an american. the pro-bully powers-that-be have won. and the american-only-censored version of the king's speech was a ludicrous embarrassment.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

crmoore wrote:

I'm glad Weinstein told the MPAA to go screw itself with this move. What worries me, however, is that earlier in this fight, the National Association Of Theater Owners threatened Weinstein by giving all his future releases the NC-17 minimal distribution treatment if he turned down the R rating. While I'm glad that Weinstein and the filmmakers had the guts to call their bluff, I certainly hope that's all it was: a bluff.

I agree.

Here's a question about bullied children; Do bullied children become bullies themselves?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

crmoore wrote:

I agree.

Here's a question about bullied children; Do bullied children become bullies themselves?

I didn't. But for some time, I drew even deeper into my shell.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it looks like this movie will be seen mostly by people outside of america. every day makes me more ashamed to be an american. the pro-bully powers-that-be have won. and the american-only-censored version of the king's speech was a ludicrous embarrassment.

The land of the freedom illusion :roll:

Anyway.. Suppose someone tricked the system to send the movie.. :idea:

Yet another reason why the bay of skulls with bones beneath and black flags are so nice. There ought to be ways to screw the system.

Maybe this helps to identify the enemy?