Should Puerto Rico even want to be admitted right now?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

Billybones wrote:
I used to work for a mortgage bank, so I do have inside knowledge about how this all worked. I knew it would all collapse - the only surprise was that it took as long as it did. With regard to the rest, that's just a matter of political viewpoint. I'll offer a truce & let's just agree to disagree.

With or without being in the mortgage industry it would take quite a strange person to see that someone could be turned down for an apartment, go across the street, get a mortgage for a house, and not realize that something was seriously wrong.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

They'll never want to join us. too much national pride, but i bet if burmuda attacked them they'd want the united states to defend them because there apart of the country haha

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

I thought this was a reference to Rick Santorum asking them to make English their main language.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:58 am

richardbenson wrote:
They'll never want to join us. too much national pride, but i bet if burmuda attacked them they'd want the united states to defend them because there apart of the country haha

If the P.R. folks couldn't beat Bermuda with one arm tied behind them and one leg up their a**, they deserve to lose.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:33 am

ruveyn wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

If the P.R. folks couldn't beat Bermuda with one arm tied behind them and one leg up their a**, they deserve to lose.

ruveyn

IMO Puerto Rico would own them if that happened.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I thought this was a reference to Rick Santorum asking them to make English their main language.

If he really said that that's f'ing stupid. If we're even thinking about annexing other localities with Spanish culture near 100% we've got no place doing that. English is already pretty common there anyway, and to my knowledge there was no national language set up in the US under the constitution; I could see it being argued that people need to be able to speak English in the other 50 being that the majority are Anglo but somewhere like Puerto Rico I don't really see where anyone would have a place telling them to have it as their first language.

Santorum's a bit of an arsewipe though so this wouldn't shock me. You'd be proud though, I spent a whole two minutes swearing when I found out that he took Alabama and Mississippi on Tuesday.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2012, 3:00 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Seems like I heard there is similar pressure for Iceland to join the European Union.

In both cases it seems like the leaders are for it but locals folks are skeptical.

It seems to me small countries could try to advertise themselves as a haven for people trying to flee faltering nations with the money.

Iceland borrowed Billions of Euros from their European neighbours' governments, then when the sh;t hit the fan they had a referendum on whether they should introduce austerity measures to pay it back, or keep the money and go it alone.

They voted for the latter.

They defaulted and put two fingers up to the European Union.

Its really not on the cards for them to join now.

If Greece defaults its getting kicked out of the Euro zone and its EU status would be very weak, perhaps non-existant, otherwise they would do the same. Many Greeks want to do the same anyway.