How do I stop eating so much in social gatherings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

northbrbrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2012, 12:29 am

On Monday I attended an acquaintance's graduation party (it was at his home), and there were about 20 attendees. Naturally, the party was centered around food and conversation (as most NT gatherings are). It was not centered around games or an activity to deflect from awkward eye-contact and conversation in general.

Anyway, food was served. Though it was delicious, I could not stop myself from eating one helping after another......not because I was that hungry but because I don't know what to do with my hands when we're all just sitting there talking (or listening)....it is so awkward!! Also, when someone offers a 2nd helping, I have trouble turning them down, simply because I don't know how to say "no" properly. (The times I've said "no" in the past were apparently unusually curt because the person asked "is everything ok?" or something of that sort :?)

So saying "Yes" to everything, even if it is not my first preference keeps the flow better. I just do not know how to say no or duck out of awkward situations.

With eating, it is no different. It is so awkward just sitting there, food at least takes the focus away from eye-contact.

But all of the food is so fattening, and I don't want to gain more weight!! I'm afraid I will balloon just from overeating in awkward situations. :!:

Can anyone relate or have any suggestions? :oops:

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:37 am

I have a different food issue. I don't take enough. I'm so food concious and thinking about the other people that I don't even serve myself enough food. Like recently we had a food pot luck thing for the place I volunteer and they ordered pizza. They were even nice enough to order a non cheese allergy free pizza for those with allergies. Anyway, I grabbed one slice of pizza and some salad. By the time the meeting dinner development thing was done, I was hungry because I never got full.

I have no suggestions for you. But my anxiety is just the opposite. I always think "What if the other people don't get enough?" or "What will they think if I grab another slice?" [even though people grabbed two or three slices]

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:47 am

if "no" seemed curt, try "maybe later" or somesuch comment. i overeat at social events because i'm not busy talking. i try to eat the veggie tray or the least fatenning item when i am just eating because i'm not talking.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:53 am

same problem here.
i have indeed switched to the, often less popular, veggy tray so others will still get enough of the 'good' stuff.
another thing i learned to do, even though it's hard for me and takes a lot of concentration, is taking very small bites, this way the piece of food you have lasts a good deal longer.
aside from that, if you still have something in your hand when the next serving is being brought around, they will usually skip you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:08 am

I'm the opposite to you - I don't eat hardly at all at social situations because I clam up and become too shy to eat.