Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

geezer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2006, 1:34 am

The first story...

Here is one of my most vivid memories of school: I am standing in a corner of the playground as usual, as far away as possible from people who might bump into me or shout, gazing into the sky and absorbed in my own thoughts. I am eight or nine years old and have begun to realize that I am different in some nameless but all-pervasive way.

I think that I might be an alien who has been put on this planet by mistake; I hope that this is so, because this means that there might be other people out there in the universe like me. I dream that one day a spaceship will fall from the sky onto the tarmac in front of me, and the people who step out of the spaceship will tell me, “It’s all been a dreadful mistake. You were never meant to be here. We are your people and now we’ve come to take you home.”

In the next few years, I would work out that the spaceship was never going to come and rescue me, but it wasn’t until I was twenty that I finally found a name for my differences, when I was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, a mild form of autism.
--Sainsbury, C. (2000). The Martian in the playground: Understanding the schoolchild with Asperger’s syndrome. London, UK: The Book Factory, pp. 8-9.

The second story...

At a conference, a man in his late 20s asks to speak with me. He has something important he wants to tell me. We go to a corner and sit down to talk. [He said,] “When I was a little boy, I felt I had been born into the wrong planet. Then I was told that if I prayed I would get what I prayed for. I used to stand by the window and look out at the night sky praying for the space ship that would come to take me to the planet where I belonged. None ever came. At college, I was given a questionnaire called the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. When I went to the counselor for the results, he said, ‘Sit down, I have something important to tell you.’ He explained that there was something called an INTP, described the personality, and it was me. He said this preference type often felt out of place, that it was natural and perfectly OK to be that kind of person, that like all types there were advantages and disadvantages, and that there were other people like me in the world, and I could learn to spot them.” The young man closed the conversation by saying this session with his counselor saved his life. (p. 48)
--Myers, K. D. (2002). Eminent interview. Journal of Psychological Type, 61, pp. 43-50.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Nov 2006, 5:22 pm

i have seen one ufo and really wished i had a camera to capture it or a video camera, it was late in the evening and i was out for my usual walk, the sun sets in the west and my area seems to be like right under the sun because the elevation is so high, anyways when the sun sets in the sky here it illuminates anything flying in the sky, now this thing i saw was moving at a pretty good clip whatever it was, and strangly enough it had no form, that is i couldn't tell if it was round square etc.. i did not see no wings on it so i don't know what it was i watched it for a good 5 minutes untill i couldn't see it anymore. and it didn't look like it was flying, it looked more like it was skipping through the air or bouncing off of something. it was pretty wierd and now i carry a camera with me at all times, just incase.