Do you like to bring something with you anywhere you go?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

I like to bring my kindle, and ipod with headphones. there have been too many times where I am stuck with a parent being bored while they shop or other things like that. I usually bring them in a drawstring bag. I don't care if We are just driving 2 minutes to the restaurant, I will sometimes leave my stuff in the car but I like to know that I can go get it if need be. I was thinking about buying a laptop carrying case, with a shoulder strap since it would be more socially acceptable to have that with me a lot of the time I think, even if I did not have my laptop with me. I could not have a purse or something like that since I am a guy.

edit: my mom got bothered when I went to bring my kindle into a restaurant "TRY to leave it in the car". Which doesn't even make sense, I could leave it if I wanted to.

Last edited by Alexender on 14 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:24 pm

A book. Being stuck somewhere without something to read is a nightmare.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

I purchased this bag. Bag -

I carry my epaper kindle, a DSLR, extra lenses + batteries, a usb flash stick and multiple connectors and such. A Galaxy Tab 10.1, and usually other stuff. The bag fits a lot..

What you might want to look into is something similar, laptop bags tend to be annoying but a messenger bag isn't unusual to see and no one really pays any attention to it. Laptop bags on the other hand get a lot of looks. The inside of this bag is setup for camera gear (you can see on the website).

But I used to carry a PDA some 10 years ago now. An ipaq 4155.. I just always need something on me, otherwise I feel lost in the real world.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

i tend to take a travel pack of sarcasm along on my journeys

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:34 pm

Nim wrote:
I purchased this bag. Bag -

I carry my epaper kindle, a DSLR, extra lenses + batteries, a usb flash stick and multiple connectors and such. A Galaxy Tab 10.1, and usually other stuff. The bag fits a lot..

What you might want to look into is something similar, laptop bags tend to be annoying but a messenger bag isn't unusual to see and no one really pays any attention to it. Laptop bags on the other hand get a lot of looks. The inside of this bag is setup for camera gear (you can see on the website).

But I used to carry a PDA some 10 years ago now. An ipaq 4155.. I just always need something on me, otherwise I feel lost in the real world.

Where do you live (country)? I live in the us, and I haven't seen those very much, at least that i can think of. I think as someone who is college age I would be "allowed" to use a draw string bag or a backpack. but after age 25 or so I thought it seemed more okay for a laptop carrier.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

I'm unsure, and I live in Arizona. Most people don't really carry them I suppose. But you have to weigh out what you want in a bag to fit your needs. I didn't want a large clumsy backpack that tells people "look at this guy carrying a backpack". Or a drawstring bag...

Just google "Messenger bag" and look at the images tab. Usually you see college people with these, a laptop bag is literally just too professional in my case. I can drop things in it as it hangs about arm length - and pull things out quickly also.

Edit : Now that I think of it, you may be calling a messenger bag a laptop bag. And what is meant by guy with a backpack - that usually signifies homeless, young, or stuffing things inside of it at the store.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

I was thinking laptops case something that looks similar to this:

I have lived in the midwest mainly

Yeah, backpack I hadn't thought of the homeless person but the other 2 I agree with what you said.

edit: Nim I put messenger bags into google and those are pretty much the same things :)

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Yes. Sounds silly, but I like to take a beanie baby I've had since I was like 5 with me when I go out, especially when going somewhere I've never been before. I don't always take it with me wherever I go, it's just when I'm feeling uneasy about something. Silly? :P

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

Alexender wrote:
I was thinking laptops case something that looks similar to this:

I have lived in the midwest mainly

Yeah, backpack I hadn't thought of the homeless person but the other 2 I agree with what you said.

Hai, perhaps messenger and laptop bags are beginning to get intertwined too much. I'd consider a laptop bag something large (to fit a 15 inch laptop). As well as something flat, and skinny inside. These I have found are very unusable for anything but a laptop. As they are padded for a laptop/don't have much flexibility. If your simply carrying a kindle a different bag may be easier. The one I carry has a pocket on the back about big enough to fit my galaxy tab, and a pocket in front where I leave my kindle.

But when someone hands me a can of cream of mushroom (exaggerated example), I can find a place for it, without having to deform the bag.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2012, 6:12 pm

My coat.

Not just because its cold outside, its soft, smells nice and I keep all my cards/keys/phone in the pockets.

And when it was new everyone said it was a lovely coat so I know I look good in it.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 6:33 pm

I like to bring along a stick of deodorant, and baby powder. Baby powder to keep my face from getting too shiny, and deodorant in case I feel stinky.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

Mainly my little Parasaurolophus figure with a blue streak along his back, he's called Aqua. Also either my Son or Daughter (Ronkey and Mabbit - they are little Voodoo doll style (ex)keyrings. It depends who I'm taking care of at the time.

I just like to keep them in my pocket as a sort of comforter.

I also went through a phase for about a year or so of taking a Colorado Avalanche hockey puck with me everywhere I went, this was until about 10 months ago.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Last edited by rabbitears on 14 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

I was waiting for you to post here. :lol:
I like to make sure I have a drink available when I go out, so I take a bottle of water with me. I get nervous if I don't have one because I don't want to dehydrate and get a headache.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

My wristwatch. If I ever go out without it I have to go back for it.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

My phone. I've grown too attached to it. xD

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 3:07 am

Jory wrote:
A book. Being stuck somewhere without something to read is a nightmare.

this. no matter where you go you should always bring a book. it's a rule of life.
also my watch because i would be lost without it and my phone because if anyone else found it they would go through the messages and i dont want that.