Offered a tutor at uni... I have no idea how this works.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2012, 7:52 am

I've been told by my uni disability unit that I can have access to a tutor for one or two hours per week. I know that I am struggling to cope with the work, but I'm very confused what it is that I need / how they could possibly help. I can write well and I can research well. My challenges are more like breaking down tasks, reading difficulties, serious attention span issues, and poor stress management. Are these the kind of things that a tutor could help with? I've never been in this situation before. Has anyone else?

Jean_Descole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

I think so. I work as a tutor, except I'm part of the math and science-y unit of the student-run tutoring center. The writing side is also tasked with study skills, as in that's part of their job description. So, yes, from what I understand, that is how it works. I wouldn't know first hand since, being a math tutor, I'm not really tasked with study skills, but more so with analytical skills (in the context of numbers).

AMS
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

It might be an idea to ask when you meet them for the first time. If you don't find out, they might try and help you with things you don't actually have a problem with, wasting both their time and yours!