Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:43 am

Is there?

I may be wrong, I assumed a "Adult ADHD" was a label created for marketing purposes.

Still ADHD but a way to catch all of the missed-diagnoses.

Also I don't think Adult ADHD is in the DSM but again, may be wrong.

I do remember hearing the phrase on commercials for non-stimulant medication years ago.

HDTV...

Whatever.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 1:05 pm

I have a comorbid and in childhood I took Ritalin which I have a suspicion caused as much excess energy as the 'hyperkinesis' did. Over time I realized that I wasn't too far off track from how some of my unmedicated peers were. My mind now asks what if I stayed on the ADD meds, I may not have gone dead-in-the-water in my high school years. When I started Adderall I wasn't that thrilled with the idea but I began to regain SOME organization and productivity, and a lot of suppressed aspie traits :D

I saw that commercial myself, at the time I felt that pill probably would be wasted on me, it was more for people who already had their stuff together.

I read what the post about emotionally stunted adults is saying to be that America can be an uptight culture and adults that take issue with kids being kids look for something to blame it on and will cry 'ADHD' where there is none. I sense some of that being the case with my upbringing. No denying I always have been an aspie as I come to understand it but for me, what might be observed as ADHD signs could easily arise when I hyperfocus

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Quote:
What's the difference between them, really?

Age?

princesslukey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2012, 6:57 am

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I think the inattentive type or maybe I just presumed this lol this since I'm not hyper. I have Aspergers as well and the Psychiatrist didn't change my diagnoses of this. A question is why the DSM - IV doesn't allow a dual diagnoses of ASD and ADHD? I live in Australia so it really isn't relevant to me, but it seems odd to deny someone help. I can see a lot of similarities in the diagnosis of ASD or ADHD. But time shows all - I mean certain symptoms and the such turn up over time, with me its focus, inattention, distraction etc classic ADHD stuff but yeah - Stuff that can be related to ASD - but can be treated if ADHD. Also does anyone else with Aspergers get frustrated with the stigma, like u can't function, are stupid, angry and snap like violently easily, also randomly not just related to Aspergers is people talking really loud and slowly to high functioning "disabled" people (I hate the term disabled). There is a lot more stigma about ASD but yeah you would have experienced it.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 7:15 am

I have ADD. I am not hyperactive, and never was, which is probably a major contributing factor to the fact that no one noticed that I had it when I was a kid (well, that and the fact that back then, ADHD was a "boy's" issue and many saw it as synonymous with delinquency...being a well-behaved girl kind of threw everyone).

My son was diagnosed with ADHD with predominant hyperactivity at 7. Now at age 11, he still has severe ADD, but the hyperactivity is no longer prevalent. So it doesn't just disappear during adulthood.

I think "Adult ADHD" is pretty much the same as "Adult Autism." It's the same thing, only most lay people think of it as a "kid's issue" so throwing "adult" in front of it reminds people that it doesn't magically go away once you hit 18.

I would say the biggest difference between me as a kid and me now is that I have learned coping mechanisms. But I do not think the root of the issues has changed much, only my ability to compensate and cope.