Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

0verload
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

I've been called slow, ret*d, etc., but know I'm an intelligent individual. I come off as emotionally cold, selfish, and wrapped up in my own head. I don't dispute this. I'm not entirely sure if I'm on the spectrum, won't have myself diagnosed, and am trying not to care about labels. I've done quite a bit of research regarding the autistic spectrum and have found many commonalities with my life, and have been indirectly labeled autistic or asperger by a number of people. I'm here to learn more about myself without looking at things as black or white.

Some commonalities for those that may be interested:
-Up until the age of 12 or so, I was afraid to turn the shower on and off. I had a parent do it for me. It all stopped one day when I was yelling for my mother to turn it off for 5 minutes or more. She ignored me, and I ended up doing it myself.

-I used to run into the corners of furniture as a child. My parents taped foam on them to soften the blow.

-I was a premature baby, weighing in at 2 lbs 9 oz

-Predilection for mathematics, science, and computers.

-Verbal expression is difficult. Something is always lost in translation. In text, I'm much more articulate.

-I'm gay, and insecurity probably has a lot to do with some of my symptoms, but I don't think it can account for all of it.

There are others, but I think these are the most significant.

Last edited by 0verload on 17 Mar 2012, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 12:15 am

You certainly sound wierd enough to fit in around here. Welcome.

One question - I'll bet that this doesn't say what you wanted it to:
[quote]Expressing myself with words is much less difficult than with words./quote]

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 12:27 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:40 am

:jester: Welcome!

www.zomgreloaded.com

questor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 2:54 am

Hi Overload! Welcome to Wrong Planet from a fellow non ret*d! Check out the different forums. Some of them deal with Autism/Asperger's Syndrome info, and can point you to some online tests for them.

Wasn't school fun?--NOT!! ! Would not want to go through that again! I always knew I wasn't ret*d, too, but had to deal with the bullying and name calling all through school, because I was different. It took almost 5 decades before I found out why I am different. Although there is no cure, at least now I know what my problem is. Not knowing was very frustrating, so it was a relief when I finally solved the mystery.

A formal diagnosis is helpful for those who are trying to get assistance, or who just plain want an official verdict. However, it isn't absolutely necessary for the rest of us. I do suggest you do some research though, and also take at least one of the online tests.

And remember, you are among friends here at WP. :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

0verload wrote:
-Verbal expression is difficult. Something is always lost in translation. In text, I'm much more articulate.

Story of my life! I can be pretty good sometimes, if I'm into it, but I've always been so much better with writing. It's like somewhere between the words being in my head, and the words coming out my mouth, something gets lost or confused. But between the words being in my head, and being written/typed through my hands, everything stays in-tact. If anything, that's one of the best things about joining an online forum. You can talk the way you really mean to talk, rather than whatever your mouth might clumsily blurt out!

Anyways, welcome to Wrong Planet! I hope you'll read around some threads and get comfortable, especially if you're not sure about having AS. You might be surprised at how much you relate to the stories others tell here (I know I was!) I look forward to reading more from you! :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image