Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 11:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

Eugenics is no more a legitimate field of study than homeopathy is

The genetics of breeding is an applied science. Many of our plant and animal products are the result of selective breeding.

ruveyn

But we humans are much more than animals and plants. To selectively breed us may breed out that which makes us not only flawed, but also amazing.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:09 am

ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

The genetics of breeding is an applied science. Many of our plant and animal products are the result of selective breeding.

ruveyn

Absolutely. Unfortunately "eugenics" as practiced throughout history tended to be more racially/socially motivated rather than based on actual genetics

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:13 am

Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

Absolutely. Unfortunately "eugenics" as practiced throughout history tended to be more racially/socially motivated rather than based on actual genetics

You know, that's probably what I've been trying to say all along.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

Social Darwinism/Eugenics seems to be more Lamarckian than Darwinian to me

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:54 am

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

Social Darwinsim is pretty much a fact and yes I have been doing some drinking today but not moonshine its to hard to get in North Carolina :wink:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:37 am

Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

Social Darwinsim is pretty much a fact and yes I have been doing some drinking today but not moonshine its to hard to get in North Carolina :wink:

If by "fact" you mean "it exists" then yes, that is correct. But if you mean "is a credible social paradigm" you are most certainly wrong
Moonshine hard to get in the NC? I find that hard to believe for some reason

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 7:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm sorry, but the whole notion just seems wrong to me...

I hope you realize that this isn't a very strong argument.

Quote:
And if you open a crack in the door with such a scheme, who's to know where it will end?

Who's to know where anything will end? What if there are two possible futures for our species--either a) it all ends in war and bloodshed a hundred years from now, or b) we go another hundred thousand years and achieve greatness unimagined--and the only difference between the two scenarios is that in the former we don't employ this type of program and in the latter we do?

Vigilans wrote:
Unfortunately "eugenics" as practiced throughout history tended to be more racially/socially motivated rather than based on actual genetics

Well, of course it's socially motivated. Is that a bad thing?

This is what I see happening. I don't really think that a hundred thousand years of human achievement depend on our paying women to give up their ability to reproduce. But I do think we're going to reach a point where we look around and say, "We messed up. The boogeyman of Nazism, the dogma of egalitarianism, the guilt-trip of God--they all painted us into a corner where we simply weren't willing to take reasonable, proactive steps to improve our species from the bottom up. And now it's too late."

When something like this is proposed (voluntary sterilization) the reactions basically fall into two categories. People either think it's evil incarnate, an absolutely sickening and horrific notion, or they think it's a really good, practical idea. As I see it, there are two possibilities here. Either the people in the latter category are really, truly evil or the people in the former category have been painted into the corner I described above. Which do you think sounds more reasonable?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Joker wrote:

Social Darwinism (Darwin would have been shocked by the misuse of his name) is an easy to abuse error. It requires taking the concept of natural selection to a place where it was never intended to go.

Social Darwinism was never formulated by Charles Darwin. It was cooked up by Herbert Spencer, the British philosopher.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

If by "fact" you mean "it exists" then yes, that is correct. But if you mean "is a credible social paradigm" you are most certainly wrong

Yeah moonshine is pretty hard to get in North Carolina not to many bootleggers willing to make the trip from West Virginia to North Carolina these days most of the time I just get moonshine at family reunions and Soical darwinism is how the animal kindgom works and pretty much how life works to the strong always rule the weak its a fact of life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

Social Darwinism (Darwin would have been shocked by the misuse of his name) is an easy to abuse error. It requires taking the concept of natural selection to a place where it was never intended to go.

Social Darwinism was never formulated by Charles Darwin. It was cooked up by Herbert Spencer, the British philosopher.

ruveyn

Herbert Spencer - - okay, that's the assmunch who came up with that idiotic idea. I'll make a mental note of that.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

Yeah moonshine is pretty hard to get in North Carolina not to many bootleggers willing to make the trip from West Virginia to North Carolina these days most of the time I just get moonshine at family reunions and Soical darwinism is how the animal kindgom works and pretty much how life works to the strong always rule the weak its a fact of life.

I don't think you know what Social Darwinism is if you think that is how the animal kingdom works. Social Darwinism is a late 19th century pseudotheory promoted by racist eugenicists and Rhodes style colonial advocates

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
[

ruveyn

I don't think you know what Social Darwinism is if you think that is how the animal kingdom works. Social Darwinism is a late 19th century pseudotheory promoted by racist eugenicists and Rhodes style colonial advocates

Oh I know to well what Social Darwinism is I was using the animal kingdom statement as how it works in their world in ares its about race sexism and class warfare social darwinsim was put into action as one of the things to justify the finale solution by the third reich the germans btw im german believed jews to be inferior in every way had them all slaughtered like animals why? did this happen because of their own twisted views of a perfect race the aryan race and how they thought that to be perfect one must be german and attempted to create the perfect race.

You are the Batman to my Joker I like you :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 2:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

But we humans are much more than animals and plants. To selectively breed us may breed out that which makes us not only flawed, but also amazing.

Humans are animals. We are a subset of the primate order of animal life on this planet. And we are more than just primates. We are talking primates who have an overly high opinion of ourselves. We are the smartest baddest primates in the Monkey House.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Humans are animals. We are a subset of the primate order of animal life on this planet. And we are more than just primates. We are talking primates who have an overly high opinion of ourselves. We are the smartest baddest primates in the Monkey House.

ruveyn

yes and their for took over the planet and became it master.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

More than enough reason to respect each and every human life, in my opinion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 2:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

More than enough reason to respect each and every human life, in my opinion.

That is why God hates us and is sorry He ever made us. He is still kicking Himself for letting Noah and the family stay dry.

ruveyn