Tell me about successful aspies you know of.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

Even if it's talking about yourself because you've made yourself successful, give me a list of people on the spectrum who've succeeded. Success can be a great career, lots of money, whatever.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

Uh, Steven Spielberg, bill gates maybe, Einstein, Mozart, Hans asperger himself, etcetera...most of them fit the hallmarks but there wasnt a name for AS then.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

Speaking for myself, I don't want to say I'm so great, but I guess I'm basically successful with high-functioning autism. I'm 45, married happily with the best, most trusting and complete fulfilling relationship anyone could want, and we're self-employed, and do OK on income (despite the terrible economy and terribly anti-success government we currently have).

It took me a long time to figure out where I fit in this world, but I found it, and I'm here.

Charles

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Charles, In my opinion you are most definitely successful.

I enjoy my job (most of the time), earn over the national average wage and have no major problems in my life so I consider myself successful.
I don't have a family and live a pretty solitary life so some would consider me a loser in that respect but I don't care. I am happy the way I am.

IHMO being content with your life is far more important than being rich or living up to any of the other traditional indicators of success. A friend of mine lives in a caravan in a farmer's field and usually has only just enough money to cover his living expenses. However he is happy like that. To him, having money just means extra responsibility which he doesn't want. Who is the more successful, him or the person who works too many hours in a job he hates but earns lots of money?

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

I completely agree with Eddie, Success is subjective and I don't think it can be measured by how much money or material gain someone has. Someone might only earn thirty thousand a year but if they enjoy it and feel passionate about their job and lifestyle, they are successful in my opinion.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 4:01 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
I completely agree with Eddie, Success is subjective and I don't think it can be measured by how much money or material gain someone has. Someone might only earn thirty thousand a year but if they enjoy it and feel passionate about their job and lifestyle, they are successful in my opinion.

That's what I said.[i]

Fraser1990
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2012, 4:05 pm

I don't think success can be measured from income and personal possesions, I think it comes more from being exactly where you want to be in life.

I know road sweepers that consider themselves successful, because they're doing what they want to do and it makes them happy.

I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near a success, i'm quite unhappy with my life as I don't do anything, nor do I have any idea what I want to do.

c0bo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

I would say that Maja Toudal is someone with Asperger Syndrome that is successful.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

I'm unsure of your use of successful...

I'm mildly successful, somewhat "mid-upper" middle class more than likely. Proportionate to the local incomes/lifestyles of the people around me of course. I have lots of bills but also live quite comfortably... I've also hit a career plateau of sorts, since I can no longer learn and/or move forward in my profession. Nor find a job due to being black balled by multiple sources. This is obviously troublesome but it is what it is, since I've made way too many enemy's due to aspie traits which no one seems to understand. I am usually feared rather than liked....

But I have no family or loved ones like many people here, so I wouldn't consider myself very successful. I've just been lucky thus far, and haven't gained anything truly meaningful in my life.

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

Define success....

In my case:
- I've been renting a rather nice and affordable studio for nearly 10 months
- I have a drivers license
- I've been working in customer tech support for nearly 4 years now.
- I earn $17/hr with full benefits and a 401K
- I have a few good friends (a couple NTs and a few with non-AT/AS mental disabilities)
- I have just volunteered for the animal humane society
- I've been reverse engineering the NT social code. Can be a real b***h. I don't have it down as much as I'd like.

But I'm not where I want to be.
I want to be NT.
I want more experience with women.
I want better social skills.
I want more comfort with various social situations.
I want to be at peace in social situations, rather than presuming "nobody likes me".

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm

as408 wrote:
Define success....

In my case:
- I've been renting a rather nice and affordable studio for nearly 10 months
- I have a drivers license
- I've been working in customer tech support for nearly 4 years now.
- I earn $17/hr with full benefits and a 401K
- I have a few good friends (a couple NTs and a few with non-AT/AS mental disabilities)
- I have just volunteered for the animal humane society
- I've been reverse engineering the NT social code. Can be a real b***h. I don't have it down as much as I'd like.

But I'm not where I want to be.
I want to be NT.
I want more experience with women.
I want better social skills.
I want more comfort with various social situations.
I want to be at peace in social situations, rather than presuming "nobody likes me".

As aspies go, you sound pretty well adjusted.

The bottom paragraph is exactly what I want. Even to be NT. I was sitting on break today, drinking a diet soda, and watching a girl pass me up with a nervous apprehensive look on her face, then stop and chat with the workers at the front desk. Who in their right mind wants what I've been through?

It sounds like the secret to success is finding a niche in this world where you fit in nicely and can be competent. That's true for everybody to an extent, but especially people with AS.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 3:13 am

Huge numbers of sports stars, these guys are all ex world champs, or the best of team sport players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Curren

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Anderson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Carter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Lockyer

then there are the scientists, inventors, musicians and and and and

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 3:35 am

I'm moderately successful, though at times had really rough growing pains. I'm in a good place now though, and have been for a few years.

I'm employed doing what I love, making handsome wage, working night hours with autonomy and little/no social interaction at work, benefits and security and an overall sense of being wanted/needed. So work is good.

I've fostered a small but tight nit group of friends. None of them are overly emotionally draining most of the time, all fairly intelligent and rational, but still know how to have fun. So social life is in a good place.

I finished my 3rd degree a few months back and am now debating if I want to go for a fourth in something or just go further in one of the ones I already have...So I'm fairly proud of my academic life.

I'm a father of an incredible 7 year old boy...who is a social butterfly, which takes some keeping up with...but he is bright and fast becoming a rational free thinking human being. So that’s going well, although a bit draining.

I've got misc small issues, random extended family drama, a tad more commute than I like, current world events. Ya know, stuff I can't really fix right now. But I did start writing a book...I'm not sure where that is going to go or if I'll ever be published, but I'm finding it very fulfilling, already, all the same.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 8:04 am

self dx:

I have a good job, at a pretty stable company (although its in a declining industry, but they are adjusting to compensate) and have had that job for about 6 years now. I like what I do for a living (data mining, analysis, problem solving, etc)

I am middle class financially... more importantly I make enough money to support myself, my home, and my expensive hobby (which costs a couple of thousand dollars per year or so)

I have friends who are just close enough, and are friends because of a shared interest (means chit-chat has to do with car's so I can easily talk for days about it)

I have lots of enjoyment online after work and on the weekends :)

So I would say that I am pretty successful ♥

LongLostSelf
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

Paddy Considine is a favorite of mine