Free Sterilizations Must be Offered to All College Women(HHS

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

CloudLayer wrote:
I say this sincerely: I think you are failing to differentiate between your desires and motivations and others' desires and motivations. Not everyone has kids. Lots of people are very happy not ever having kids, or do not have biological offspring but adopt and their kids are equally their kids. They definitely have not given up on life just because one of their gametes didn't combine with someone else's.

Still, it's not beneficial to your genetics to adopt someone else's kids in liu of having your own. I will have my own first before adopting anyone elses. But I see advantages for my family in adopting someone elses once I have my own.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

CloudLayer wrote:
Basically this thread is about sterilization and other forms of birth control, and in a paragraph above you stated that you just have to "use methods of birth control," while also saying you don't want your tax dollars paid towards sterilization (a permanent form of birth control).

The difference being permanence. I don't want to get my GF right this very second, but I want her to be able to have kids with me if we go down that path together. Right now though, we just aren't ready financially unless we plan to use state money to help us get our family started.

Non-sterilization measures of birth control won't keep you from ever having kids, but if I was offered the opportunity to be able to have sex without getting anyone pregnant no matter what some time ago and under the right coercion and/or circumstances, I might have done it and I'd be feeling pretty bad right now.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 8:34 pm

abacacus wrote:
webcam wrote:
abacacus wrote:
webcam wrote:
It would be my problem because 1) my tax dollars paid for it, 2) someone in my world is suffering because someone taught them something would disgust me and told them it was ok.

It's a very unjust scenario. There are better options. Just keep track of your cycle and use methods of birth control. I fully advocate for safer forms of "the pill" that would not cause an embryo to be destroyed.

WOOOOOAH there. Slow down. YOUR world? Do you have the deed? How much did it cost? Being the king of the planet must be a very taxing job...

This is not your world. It never has been, it never will be. Whether something disgusts you or not, you have to deal with it. I don't approve of my tax dollars going towards many things in my country. Doesn't mean I am somehow exempt from paying them.

The sooner you learn that "your" world is a myth, the better off you'll be.

My world isn't a myth, I've stepped out of myth based realities and into life. I'm not saying that I own the world or that I'm the world's king, I'm saying that this is world I live in. I'm choosing against apathy, and I'm choosing for life.

Your Atheism is yet weak my friend.

There you go, YOU'RE choosing. For yourself. You. Not anyone else.

Or, to put it more bluntly, what right do you have to control other peoples lives? Or crap on their opinions (like you're doing to puddingmouse)? What makes you so f***ing special?

I'm defending possibility, an untold number of potential people that might kids and grandkids might someday have to opportunity to have as friends, wives, husbands or even friends w/ benefits.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 9:21 pm

I'd also like to add, in case it wasn't clear from the sum of my argument, that wanting a sterilization very likely comes from being depressed. Depression and other social impediments can harm one's worldview and it is necessary to change that world view in order to escape depression, but to get sterilized would very likely cement one's depression in place as it is a permanent choice.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:33 pm

webcam wrote:
I'd also like to add, in case it wasn't clear from the sum of my argument, that wanting a sterilization very likely comes from being depressed. Depression and other social impediments can harm one's worldview and it is necessary to change that world view in order to escape depression, but to get sterilized would very likely cement one's depression in place as it is a permanent choice.

I don't want kids for many reasons. I'm not patient enough to deal young children for one, and many of my habits would be detrimental to children (smoke like a chimney, curse like a sailor, get high all the time, get drunk, etc). Why would you want a kid born to me to go through that? I have no intention of changing my ways, I enjoy my habits.

Why would you even bother to defend possibilities when the chance is there that the child will lead a horrid life? What if they're born with a major genetic disease? Still born? A major deformity? What if they grow up only to kill themselves from depression for some reasons? Or become a serial killer? Or a paedophile? Those are all possibilities you seem to be ignoring completely aside from you trampling over every ones rights because your panties are in a twist.

You will reap what you've sown.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 5:30 am

webcam wrote:
PM wrote:
I consider this a social advancement, but unfortunately, politics is probably going to mess it up.

So being among a population that people would very likely abort if given the chance and the statisticly similar cases, you would think this is a social advancement? Letting people get sterilized? You're handing the rights of a genotype to people who don't want you to exist!

This is not about abortion or eugenics, so.....

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

Why does this only cover free female sterilization?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

webcam wrote:
It should be illegal to have a sterilization... It's genocide... they aren't even giving these kids the chance to breed and continue their lineage... it's f***ing ridiculous... Time for an overthrow of Government... Can we really put up with this? College is too early to be making those decisions and they should never be made in any case... It simply can't be justified. It is the exact opposite of Justice. It's coercive genocide. This sh** needs to stop... Being human used to be an honorable thing... now it's genocidal... I almost don't want to count myself among humans if they are going to do sh** like this!

Tell that to my uterus. I've had five pregnancies; my fourth child is due in June. When they asked me if I wanted my tubes tied, I said, and I quote, "YES, PLEASE!! !"

We've tried everything. Due to neurological sensitivities, I can't use any kind of hormone, in any amount. Diaphragms don't fit right-- my cervix is shaped funny, but it sure doesn't keep the old oven from crankin' out the buns. We'd had good luck with condoms-- until the last two pregnancies (one of which part of me was actually GRATEFUL to lose at 12 weeks).

We're down to four options: He gets snipped, I get snipped, we stop having sex, or we keep cranking out kids whether we think we can deal with them or not (and regardless of the fact that there are now 7 billion+ people on this little rock).

Should involuntary sterilization be illegal?? I'd say so. I think it's unethical to strongarm/wheedle/guilt trip/otherwise manipulate someone else into sterilization; I've had it tried on me and I think an individual ought to be able to sue the pants off a medical professional who tries (not to mention take their license).

But make sterilization illegal, period?? Honey, I've got several good childbearing years left, even more possible ones after that. I don't want to find out how many kids we could have if we kept going. BOARD THAT SUCKER UP, DOC!! !!

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

abacacus wrote:
webcam wrote:

I don't want kids for many reasons. I'm not patient enough to deal young children for one, and many of my habits would be detrimental to children (smoke like a chimney, curse like a sailor, get high all the time, get drunk, etc). Why would you want a kid born to me to go through that? I have no intention of changing my ways, I enjoy my habits.

Why would you even bother to defend possibilities when the chance is there that the child will lead a horrid life? What if they're born with a major genetic disease? Still born? A major deformity? What if they grow up only to kill themselves from depression for some reasons? Or become a serial killer? Or a paedophile? Those are all possibilities you seem to be ignoring completely aside from you trampling over every ones rights because your panties are in a twist.

Well, my dad did all that s**t and he was still a damn good father. Best parent I had-- and I've had quite a bit more than the standard two to choose from.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2012, 8:08 pm

abacacus wrote:
webcam wrote:

But you don't know who nature is going to give you. Couldn't you smoke outside? I've known pot smoking parents... as long as they can keep a job it can work out for them. You just have to roll with whatever life throws at you and make sure your kids are happy.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
webcam wrote:
It should be illegal to have a sterilization... It's genocide... they aren't even giving these kids the chance to breed and continue their lineage... it's f***ing ridiculous... Time for an overthrow of Government... Can we really put up with this? College is too early to be making those decisions and they should never be made in any case... It simply can't be justified. It is the exact opposite of Justice. It's coercive genocide. This sh** needs to stop... Being human used to be an honorable thing... now it's genocidal... I almost don't want to count myself among humans if they are going to do sh** like this!

Tell that to my uterus. I've had five pregnancies; my fourth child is due in June. When they asked me if I wanted my tubes tied, I said, and I quote, "YES, PLEASE!! !"

We've tried everything. Due to neurological sensitivities, I can't use any kind of hormone, in any amount. Diaphragms don't fit right-- my cervix is shaped funny, but it sure doesn't keep the old oven from crankin' out the buns. We'd had good luck with condoms-- until the last two pregnancies (one of which part of me was actually GRATEFUL to lose at 12 weeks).

We're down to four options: He gets snipped, I get snipped, we stop having sex, or we keep cranking out kids whether we think we can deal with them or not (and regardless of the fact that there are now 7 billion+ people on this little rock).

Should involuntary sterilization be illegal?? I'd say so. I think it's unethical to strongarm/wheedle/guilt trip/otherwise manipulate someone else into sterilization; I've had it tried on me and I think an individual ought to be able to sue the pants off a medical professional who tries (not to mention take their license).

But make sterilization illegal, period?? Honey, I've got several good childbearing years left, even more possible ones after that. I don't want to find out how many kids we could have if we kept going. BOARD THAT SUCKER UP, DOC!! !!

I can understand your concerns, but I'd make sure you were doing everything you could to prevent pregnancy first and still don't think it should be available as soon as someone turns 18. I'd also want to see it be entirely reversible and have the reverse paid in full at the time of the operation to be redeemed whenever the person desires with no limitations. NFP (natural family planning where a woman charts her cycle and fertility daily in about 3 minutes a day), spermicidal lube, and then condoms and whatever else you can use that doesn't bother you. The NFP stuff is supposed to help you have healthier kids if you do have them and make your reproductive parts function at tip top health too. So it's win-win, everyone should be doing it if they plan to have kids. That's the kind of stuff our tax dollars should really be paying for. Same NFP tests and supplements should be developed for males too, we make up half of the baby.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

webcam wrote:
abacacus wrote:
webcam wrote:

But you don't know who nature is going to give you. Couldn't you smoke outside? I've known pot smoking parents... as long as they can keep a job it can work out for them. You just have to roll with whatever life throws at you and make sure your kids are happy.

I know many pot smoking parents too, like *my* parents. Hippies through and through.

Guess what, you don't know what nature is gonna give you either. Your willing to take that risk. I, for many reasons, am not. It doesn't make logical sense to me for me to have children. You just gotta roll with what life give ya and quit whining about others peoples decisions like you're some kind of god.

You will reap what you've sown.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 7:14 am

I think it's good but a little early to make a permanent decision like that. At that age I already knew I never wanted any kids though and I haven't changed my mind. I don't just want my tubes tied though. I'd want a hysterectomy.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

This is why I'm for a small state and limited taxation. Why should my money go towards something I disapprove? I never signed a social contract. Let the private sector take care of it. In time, I'm sure Wal-mart will start selling $5 sterilization packages. Hell, maybe McDonalds will add them to their burgers too.