Loud/sudden/repetitive noises. 48%  48%  [ 53 ]
Itchy/uncomfortable clothing. 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Overbearing odors. 17%  17%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 110

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 5:39 pm

In a way, all of them, but loud and repetetive noise annoys me the most. With loud noises, I instinctively blink out of habbit I donno... What gets on my nerves is songs that repeat a number of times a day, and hearing the same songs every couple of hours, every single day drives me up the wall. I work with people that insist to play the same radio channel, day in, day out. Oddly I'm totally fine with my own Video Game music on repeat... :?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
In a way, all of them, but loud and repetetive noise annoys me the most. With loud noises, I instinctively blink out of habbit I donno... What gets on my nerves is songs that repeat a number of times a day, and hearing the same songs every couple of hours, every single day drives me up the wall. I work with people that insist to play the same radio channel, day in, day out. Oddly I'm totally fine with my own Video Game music on repeat... :?

I am actually the kind of person who will listen to one song for hours on end. Not exactly sure why. I just go through song-phases.

The kind of repetitive noises I can't stand are tapping noises, loud bangs and snaps, and excessive yelling.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

Loud/sudden/repetitive noises bother me the most.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:41 pm

I would say smells are the worst and bright lights are the least. The worst smell for me is probably washrooms that someone has done "you-know-what" in. My dad is very sensitive to smell too.

Loud noises aren't so bad for me, but repetitive ones can be. I find pencil tapping annoying. I do find that dogs barking can startle me though.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 7:01 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I would say smells are the worst and bright lights are the least. The worst smell for me is probably washrooms that someone has done "you-know-what" in. My dad is very sensitive to smell too.

Loud noises aren't so bad for me, but repetitive ones can be. I find pencil tapping annoying. I do find that dogs barking can startle me though.

I don't get panicky from bad smells, but I do have a very sensitive nose. We have a puppy that's not leash-trained yet so he uses puppy pads by the door (by the door so that when he does get leash trained we'll know when to take him out when he goes over there). The front door is just a hallway and an arched doorway away from the computer I'm currently on. I'll just be sitting here typing away, inhale through my nose and tell my family, "Seamus made a mess. Who's turn is it to clean it up?"

And speaking of him, he's a yapper when he hears anyone approach the apartment. He starts barking so loudly and so repetitively that I've, on multiple occasions, just screamed with frustration. Same thing happened with our old dog, too, though her bark was much less loud.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

The noises.

My parents talk loudly, especially in the car when my mum sits at the back. They both seem deaf. The TV is always on really loudly and I constantly have to ask them to turn it down. They talk loudly when I'm trying to sleep in bed. Just being around them means my eyes squint from how loud they are. Kids playing outside is too loud when I'm inside trying to sleep. I can hear people having conversations around the house and neighbourhood. Everyone just stop shouting! :x

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 9:05 pm

Frankie_J wrote:
The noises.

My parents talk loudly, especially in the car when my mum sits at the back. They both seem deaf. The TV is always on really loudly and I constantly have to ask them to turn it down. They talk loudly when I'm trying to sleep in bed. Just being around them means my eyes squint from how loud they are. Kids playing outside is too loud when I'm inside trying to sleep. I can hear people having conversations around the house and neighbourhood. Everyone just stop shouting! :x

I suggest you talk to your parents about that! If they care about you and understand your syndrome, they should lower their voices.

BearSalad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

Well, I look Chinese in my own house when a Chandelier or a Lamp is turned on.

But I also get really upset when say, a Disc Skips in my stereo, or my Video Stream Freezes for a second, and replays the same sound over and over and over and over and over and over.

Bright Lights>Repetitive Sounds

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

Koi wrote:
Frankie_J wrote:
The noises.

I suggest you talk to your parents about that! If they care about you and understand your syndrome, they should lower their voices.

But then they wouldn't be able to hear each other. Also, if I mention AS they won't really take it on board until we're sitting in front of an expert and I tell them about my hearing and he/she confirms to my parents it's a symptom.

I don't know what it is, but when I'm asleep I feel like I hear things more that are actually happening. I remember being woken up several times in a rage because of how loud things sounded around the house. Why do earplugs never work? Telling people to be quiet just causes them to take some kind of offence.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Oh, definitely bright lights for me. I get dizzy when there's too much light.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I get dizzy when there's too much light.

Me too, but then I get headaches on top of it.

I also realized and maybe forgot, one of the reasons why I had been diagnosed or even noticed I was on the spectrum was with my interactions in school. Crowds of people can be really noisy and really hard for me. It feels like everything is loud, I really dislike "uncomfortable" sounds. That's like crowds of people all talking at the same time; one of the things that bothers me is resteraunts and everyone is talking really loud. It makes me dizzy and the world seems to spin out of control.

abstraction
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2012, 4:42 am

They all bother me horribly, but odors are the hardest to overcome. Lights give me a headache and hurt, but I can wear sunglasses usually. I avoid uncomfortable clothes at all costs, and try to avoid bothersome noises or wear headphones to muffle them when I'm out. I'm not even overly bothered by the usual offensive odors (bathrooms, decomposing animals, etc) but rather things that are usually considered pleasant such as candles, air fresheners, cleaners, many types of food, especially Asian foods. Almonds and a few other types of foods bother me so much that I have never even tried to eat them. I get a horrible headache instantly and am unable to focus. Food textures bother me a lot too, even just the thought! Flat noodles, BLECH :eew:

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 5:27 am

I voted for clothing because it's a constant source of annoyance. Of course it's something I can avoid, but of all the things it annoys me the most.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2012, 5:35 am

mass immigration into my country without the goverment having the manners and decency to ASK the population first. :x :x :x

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

Sounds and smells.. If I had to pick one, I'd have to go with sound, because I've never smelled something so bad it hurt.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

When I was a child I was very sensitive to certain fabrics. These days it is noise that I find bothersome. Lights are only an irritation if they flicker, though long periods under bright artificial lights other than desk or table lamps will make me tired.