Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

Aspies are supposed to be good with animals, but I have sensory issues around them. In fact, some of my most severe sensory issues are animal-related. I hate dogs barking, unless they are big dogs in the distance (like what is happening at this moment), but little dogs barking annoys me to no end and big dogs barking just startles me and makes me jump a mile when it near by.

I also really don't like the feeling of animal paws on me.

The smell of dogs is bothersome as well, once, my friend had to borrow her neighbour's car and it smelled like dog in there and I gagged. The neighbour wasn't in the car at the time.

Also, I don't really like how dog lick feels, especially on my face. It used to happens sometimes when I little.

I also can't stand animals noses being close to me. I sometimes will put my hand out for my cat to smell and once she gets too close, I have to move it away.

Is there anyone else with sensory issues related to animals?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

I think it really depends on species. I'm not a dog or a cat person. I'm more of a non traditional pet person. Dogs make me nervous. I could never explain this aspect without getting into new age mumbo jumbo, but I'm going to try anyway. I could always feel an "energy" or a "static" or "vibe" whenever someone or something came into physical contact with me. Is this an aura? I've never seen physicaly but I automaticaly associate color to how it feels. When I was a kid, purple was the worst color to look. It seemed to change with a person's mood. If angry or excited, it was super dense and "purple", but if a person was super pissed off at me, it was black. I try to keep a good distance from most people these days to avoid this sensation so I don't really know what people's "energy" feels like to me anymore. But I've noticed I expirence it with animals as well. Next to what I remember from people, dogs have to be the worst. Espicaly if a dog is super hyper and excitable. The color I get from them is yellow. Aside from dogs, I've never felt anything negative from animals. Birds have a VERY noticable "energy" that I seem to be able to "read". I would describe the color as green or sky blue. But the "energy" of a bird isn't painful or annoying like a dog or person's. I don't hate dogs, or even dislike them really. I just HATE going into Petsmart on their adoption events and seeing NOTHING BUT dogs up for adoption. It's also very hypocrytical because they are against selling dogs but they have no problem selling other species and have even gotten in trouble for buying from the other species equlivent of a "puppy mill".