Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

Ok so I was trying to figure something out earlier....I was thinking about hyperactivity vs. stimming. So anyways when you're stimming are you aware of it when you're doing it? usually the behaviors I consider stims are things I can't control and sometimes am not aware of. For instance when I'm reading a book I tend to ruffle the pages for instance but I am not aware of it when I'm doing it....unless I get distracted or something and become conscious of it. Or I have a tendency to pick up random objects and such without being consciously aware of it.

So I guess I am wondering if that sounds like stimming or not.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

I've often wondered too if I become aware of it, if it is still "stimming"..

I used to think NOT, because I'd notice that I was doing it, and maybe get embarrassed, and stop.. But then I started to realize that I need these things for comfort, and started to let myself.. not so much do them on purpose, but rather allow myself to.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

I catch myself doing it and wonder how long it's been going on.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 8:21 pm

I am always stimming, so I shift in and out of awareness of it. When I am thinking or doing something and somewhat focused, I am not aware of stimming when it is still there. When I stop thinking about or doing one thing and transition to another is when I become aware of stimming. Then, engage in next thing and lose awareness again. When hyperfocused, I don't stim at all. I don't have surveillance video to prove this, but I feel eggstremely stiff afterwards, like I had sat in one position and not moved at all for hours, which I probably have.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

I don't always notice it at first. Like the rocking back and forth.

I'll of course notice when I play with my lip and my ears, but I don't really think of it as stimming while it's happening.

And as for my blinking compulsion, of course I notice it, it's annoying, but I don't control it.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 9:23 pm

I am most always stimming by tapping or moving my leg. Other stimming activity I do is rocking back and forth as I study or concentrate or am VERY stressed. I am not always aware I am doing these actions, my awareness of them will come and go.
I may also do a half twirling motion (my torso twirls and my arms move out, while my feet stay still) while I am standing and waiting (in line or at a fast food restaurant for my food to come etc) and I am not always aware when I do this. I should say I start these activities unconsciously.

If I am super stressed and anxious and feeling like I should run and hide, I will purposely take silly putty out of my purse and tear off a small part and play with it, pulling back and squishing it together again at a fast pace. I am always aware of starting this activity (as it is done purposely to relieve stress) but once initiated I do not maintain a constant awareness of it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I am always stimming, so I shift in and out of awareness of it. When I am thinking or doing something and somewhat focused, I am not aware of stimming when it is still there. When I stop thinking about or doing one thing and transition to another is when I become aware of stimming. Then, engage in next thing and lose awareness again. When hyperfocused, I don't stim at all. I don't have surveillance video to prove this, but I feel eggstremely stiff afterwards, like I had sat in one position and not moved at all for hours, which I probably have.

I seem to stim when I am hyper focused.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Mar 2012, 11:10 pm

I stim frequently - practically all the time - but I am not always aware of it. I become aware of it in a pattern similar to what btbnnyr describes, and if I catch myself I allow myself to continue unless it interferes with something else (like if I want to type, I have to stop moving my hands around).

I think that only a few stims were ever targeted by adults to make me stop, and it kind of amazes me the things people don't admit to noticing.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

I'm really not sure. I guess I could be and I just would not know, especially since nobody ever tells me to stop or that I'm doing something annoying or whatever. But being so self conscious, I think I might be too aware of what I'm doing or anxious around a lot of people(more often strangers than family or friends), so I should know if I'm doing anything odd or repetitive or etc.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

I'm not sure if I stim or not.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

Does biting my lip count as a stim?

It makes me feel comfortable when I bite my lip. I have this particular spot that I bite my lip. It's like....a lump, by the way it isn't a tumor or anything. Back when I was a kid I was walking and fell down the stairs. I bit my lip falling down I guess cause I was bracing for impact. I ended up with a keloid in my lip and I bite the keloid all the time. It comforting.

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:37 pm

There are some stims that I'm not aware of when I start it but like others said I'll catch myself after I started.
There are other stims I'll do just because I enjoy them.

And there are a few more stims I can feel coming but I can suppress if I want to, such as jumping when happy.

Stimming sometimes is the greatest thing in the world!

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
Does biting my lip count as a stim?

I say yes it is a stim. I bit my bottom lip all the time when I was little it helped me from going into a total meltdown... sometimes.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 12:59 am

When I stim I'm unaware of it happening until after it finishes, if I notice at all.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

Ugh, I stim all the time, and I hate it. My mother always notices and hassles me about it, but it's painful to think in all the times I do it in front of someone else, and nobody says anything...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:51 am

I'm not often aware of stimming. Luckily my stims are mostly inconspicuous so I don't get into any trouble with it.