Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 5:06 am

Difficulty in recognizing (and then decoding) subtext is probably my main weakness in 'social' communication.

I emphasize the word social because in a business setting, I seem to do much better!

I think there are 2 main reasons why I do better in a business setting.

1. My livelihood depends on it - so I literally put in the work required to listen - I am interested in the content and the meaning of the information I am receiving.

2. In business settings there is at least some element of analytical communication (quite a lot in my line of work). This means that the dialogue coming from the other person is likely to be wrapped in less ornamentation and decoration. With less subtext it is much easier to recognize and hopefully decode - made easier by the fact that analytical dialogue is permitted as part of the 'rules' of business dialogue.
- Try asking for an analytical explanation to social subtext next time you are at a social gathering and see what happens :lol:

What's your experience with social subtext?

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 5:24 am

I see "Work related socializing" totally different to "Normal Socializing". Probably because work related socializing is about work, I am totally fine with people when it's only to do with work. Might be also because your not trying to work out what’s going on & they not normally using social rules.

Normal socializing you need to use more body language & taking in all the other information.

But then if it was a open office & I was stuck next to someone who needed to chat. I would be sending a email to the boss to have me moved, like moving a printer in the office to make the office more efficient.

Edit:- ( Also add reason have a problem getting a job in this country. Is because it is based on "Social Communication" hence why if the interview was about the work & not based on social it would be easier. Or to do a practical one instead. But since that service is not there. )

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

Subtext is everywhere. It's in movies, in books and in social communication. It's something you have to "get" at the same time while you are trying to make sense of the "actual" topic.

I usually do not get what someone else already expects me to know about. Because I do not recognize a certain pattern. I cannot think of several things at the same time.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Repent
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

I don't get subtext either. The recent escalation of Western conflict with Iran as an example.

The west is worried Iran will obtain nuclear capabilities. This statement omits the fact that the US has 10's of thousands of nuclear weapons themselves, as do a host of other countries; Russia, China, Britian, France, Israel, Pakastan, and India. Yet none of these listed countries are a threat to Western interests. What is the subtext??

The west is worried that Iran is building a nuclear power plant. However, this ignores the fact that dozens of other countries already have nuclear power plants, including the United States. What is the subtext of the problem?

Iran has fully complied with all international nuclear treaties, and is a signitory of the nuclear non-prolification pact and has made no aggressions against the US or any other country. Israel did not sign the nuclear non-prolification act, and has (recently) committed war crimes by using caustic prohibited white phosporous against the palestinians. George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney of the US are wanted war crimiinals in many countries throughout the world; subject to arrest upon entry into those countries. Yet Iran is the threat? What is the subtext??

I can't read subtext at all.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/