Have you ever met any arrogant aspies?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

I used to work as a volunteer in a special school for a few weeks where there was one class that consisted out of autistic/aspie children only, I got put off by one of them acting like such a pain in the ass while I had to teach him that it made me stop liking the job, he was totally unhandleable I had to call the regular teacher with me to help me get out of this situation. The other children were all shy and nice-ish but I got the feeling jobs like these are really not meant for me in any way at all, socializing was never my fetish.

Now this is what concerns kids, but has anyone ever dealt with arrogant aspie adults?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

I knew someone who could be extremely arrogant, but we got on okay for the most part. He was off the charts intelligent, successfully ran his business concerns, and was extremely private. Sometimes he was arrogant to cover his insecurity, and sometimes because he was just too damn smart, and financially successful.

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Yeah, I think I have experienced what you are talking about (with aspie adults)..

There's a guy that sometimes comes to an aspie meetup I'm part of. He is completely insufferable. He is one of those kind that not only takes everything way too literally, and corrects everything you say, but actually gets angry about it. You can't hold a one minute conversation with him without him getting pissed off/snapping at you(while correcting you)..
Because he's like this, and he is a really big guy, we simply call him "The Hulk".

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm

Quote:
"It's not arrogance if you really are better than everyone else."

:roll: Don't have to look far.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

Yes, anyone that goes "You didn't know about it, you didn't know about it?" or "You don't remember, how can you not remember?" My ex was like this and one of my aspie friends is too. Plus my ex seemed to be arrogant about himself like how he can do things himself and because I didn't I "lacked self help skills"and he thought because I didn't go to Spokane by myself in high school, it was because I "lacked self help skills." I didn't have the fricken money then and he wouldn't take that as a reason why I didn't go. I was not going to use up all my allowance for going there by myself.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:03 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Quote:

If they can put their money where their mouth is, then it's all good :D

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:03 pm

Lol it isn't uncommon, I used to be pretty arrogant, don't think I am now. Way to feel better about yourself

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

There are some on here that's for sure.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Generally, aspies who are proud to be aspies due to their own abilities are more likely to lean towards the confident side of the spectrum.
If you haven't met one, then hello! :D

Although I wouldn't call myself arrogant, more proud of myself as an aspie.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

I can be arrogant, but I have every right to be. When you know s***, you can do that every once in a while.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

Check out the PPR forum. Plenty of it there.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

Arrogance has it's purpose at times. I have not been around many individuals who have not displayed arrogance(at one time or another) YET i don't consider them arrogant. I find THAT if you place anyone under a microscope and analyze their behavior, chances are you're going to find a host of consistent and inconsistent character traits.

I liken it to alcohol. There is a difference between one who drinks alcohol occasionally and an alcoholic.

TheSunAlsoRises

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

I think people thought I was arrogant as a child. I think people today think I'm arrogant and I probably am. I try very hard not to be but if the shoe fits I'll wear it and I've discovered that no matter how hard I try, I just can't please everyone. I think I am smarter than some people, or better at doing something,but not that I am better than them as a person. We were all created in God's image and Jesus Himself even said that all people were created equl.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

People come in all shapes and sizes including aspies

Some are quiet like a house mouse, some arrogant, and everything in between. Its a spectrum, and we all on it, sliding up and down as our moods change.

I think the most arrogant entity around here is a charitable organisation supposed to help aspies

Some christians, muslims, and any other gang members of any kind, strike me as more arrogant than most.....

They are saved and you are not :roll: repent sinner or die in hell

The kid the OP mentions is a child, probably with poor parenting

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Quote:

If they can put their money where their mouth is, then it's all good :D

I don't much care if they can. It's still arrogance. Arrogance is a lack of humility. Nobody is "better" than everyone else. Putting your money where your mouth is proves nothing to me other than that you're good. I don't like attitudes of superiority. Never have and never will.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:01 pm

Do you measure excessive arrogance in others by cultural standards?

Arrogance to an NT, is normal and fine for most aspies....

Is this thread trying to make us NT????