Have you ever met any arrogant aspies?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 701

22 Mar 2012, 10:42 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Arrogance has it's purpose at times. I have not been around many individuals who have not displayed arrogance(at one time or another) YET i don't consider them arrogant. I find THAT if you place anyone under a microscope and analyze their behavior, chances are you're going to find a host of consistent and inconsistent character traits.

I liken it to alcohol. There is a difference between one who drinks alcohol occasionally and an alcoholic.

TheSunAlsoRises


This is true. If I met an arrogant person who had no achievements to speak of or no reason to think they were better than anyone else I'd just think they were crazy.

IME many arrogant people are high achievers. This does not make their arrogance any less annoying, mind you, but we do need people in society who are so convinced of their own ability (combined with natural talent) that they will carry on with their own will and easily dismiss the concerns of others.

I can see that being an evolutionary advantage.


_________________
AD/HD BAP.

HDTV...

Whatever.


MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,760
Location: New England

22 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

Surfman wrote:
absolute nonsense! :roll: :roll: :roll:


:?:

Are you saying my interpretation of what you said is incorrect? What is nonsense?


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,143
Location: New Orleans, LA

22 Mar 2012, 12:03 pm

I have found that, in many cases, that the aspie need for a conversation to be accurate, we can be overbearing... And since we are insisting on a specific set of facts, it is misinterpreted.

Often, NTs feel that the aspie is saying "I am right, you are wrong." While there is some credence to that, they do not realize that it's a case of "That FACT is wrong, and THIS fact is right." and that it doesn't matter that we don't care who is right as long as the facts are correct. (I speak for the aspies I know and myself here)... They interpret it as arrogant...

Ironically enough... being too quiet makes them think you are arrogant as well...

I don't get it.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,608
Location: Ireland

22 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

My dad is off the charts Aspie and doesn't know it. He's the most arrogant creature in the world.



Brony2011
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 131
Location: Oklahoma

22 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

Uprising wrote:
Now this is what concerns kids, but has anyone ever dealt with arrogant aspie adults?


Me. Just kidding. I don't think I'm actually Asperger's, though I do consider myself on the autistic spectrum now that I've learned enough, but only on the border. I can be an arrogant jerk, though, but try not to be. I've always known that I'm intelligent and talented, and I generally have a higher I.Q. and more formal education than most people around me (except when I'm around professors or geniuses), and yet, I've always been talked down to and treated like I'm stupid, so I developed a giant self-image as a defense mechanism.



EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 701

22 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

Feralucce wrote:
I have found that, in many cases, that the aspie need for a conversation to be accurate, we can be overbearing... And since we are insisting on a specific set of facts, it is misinterpreted.

Often, NTs feel that the aspie is saying "I am right, you are wrong." While there is some credence to that, they do not realize that it's a case of "That FACT is wrong, and THIS fact is right." and that it doesn't matter that we don't care who is right as long as the facts are correct.


I have this experience with many people. Sometimes I'll just tone myself down if I actually want to get along with someone and really like them. I won't correct them or obsess about facts.

But in casual interaction my conversations are based mostly on facts and people do interpret those facts as YOUR views, whether they agree or disagree.

Very interesting because it shows yo the way most people think. Let's say I state a fact that is pleasing to liberals (OR republicans, I'm not trying to send a cryptic message about liberals here) and makes them look good. They in turn like ME for that and interpret it as my view.

If I, as the exact same person with same personality, had instead stated a fact that made them look bad, they would most likely dislike me based on what I had said alone and ignore all other aspects of my personality (which shows you that they never really liked me in the first place, they just liked me because I shared the "right" view).

So you can see that most people will ignore facts in favor of staying loyal to whichever group they identify with and that they perceive other people as thinking the same way, having "views" based on things other than facts or observations.


_________________
AD/HD BAP.

HDTV...

Whatever.


Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,143
Location: New Orleans, LA

22 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm

I agree whole heartedly... It is not about truth... it never is.


_________________
Yeah. I'm done. Don't bother messaging and expecting a response - i've left WP permanently.


Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,539
Location: Reading, PA

22 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

Confession is good for the soul. I can be arrogant, no very arrogant when talking in an area that I am familiar with, especially when speaking with some cognitively challenged NT.



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,418
Location: Ontario, Canada

22 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

My ex-boyfriend's brother was a little bit arrogant but he wasn't too bad. I know he didn't mean it, he was a very nice person. I've bumped into the odd person on this site who sometimes come off as a bit arrogant, not too many mind you because most people on this site are incredibly nice but I try not to let it get to me because I know people with Asperger's Syndrome usually don't mean it. I think there's a level as well, some people have Asperger's milder than others. People have different symptoms and quirks as well.

Personally, I think I can come off as arrogant some times but I try not to be.



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

22 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

I'm thinking of starting a 12 step recovery program for arrogance...

'I came to realise that I was hopelessly arrogant, and sought help from a higher power'

'I made amends to all those i had been arrogant to'...........

hi my name is Surfman and I am an arrogant aspie



MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,760
Location: New England

24 Mar 2012, 8:03 am

:lol:


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,364
Location: Planet Earth

24 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

Uprising wrote:
I used to work as a volunteer in a special school for a few weeks where there was one class that consisted out of autistic/aspie children only, I got put off by one of them acting like such a pain in the ass while I had to teach him that it made me stop liking the job, he was totally unhandleable I had to call the regular teacher with me to help me get out of this situation. The other children were all shy and nice-ish but I got the feeling jobs like these are really not meant for me in any way at all, socializing was never my fetish.

Now this is what concerns kids, but has anyone ever dealt with arrogant aspie adults?


Was it in the Netherlands between 2004 and 2009? Might have been me - I was known and somewhat notorious for being, as the Dutch call it, onhandelbaar.

As for my daily moment of being serious: I've met plenty of people who came across as being arrogant, but I usually managed to have the upper hand.
Usually, when they make a remark apparently making them superior or making fun of me, I have frighteningly accurate and proper responses ready to make them look silly instead.



justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 433

24 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

I think arrogance sucks. The post prior to this one sums it up very well.