Any other aspies that really like performing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BrooklynWoodwork
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

I seem to have a hard time holding a conversation and approaching most people, but I really like playing gigs. I play bass in an Industrial band right now and we have a big show this Saturday. And I'm really excited about it. Something about performing really gets me like nothing else quite does. It doesn't matter to me that there's a crowd, even a large one, because I just allow myself to be a part of the music. It's like the presence of the performance itself trumps the whole social thing. I get to be something greater than myself. Anybody else feel this way? With any kind of performance, I suppose.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

I haven't performed that many times in my life, but I did fairly well - even won first place twice in my life. :D

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 6:16 am

if it is a planned performance, yes, indeed i do.
i'm a brass band member, and i enjoy solo playing solos, especially in counter-melody, but i need to get 'in the zone' first.
getting there usually takes time, although i automatically slip into it during performances, provided i am practiced enough to be comfortable with the piece.

for other performances, it is harder to prepare, now i mean like karaoke or a singstar-singoff, or perhaps giving a speach or presentation, but i have learned methods to mentally prepare me for that. if i get the time needed (a minute or 5, usually) i can be quite comfortable, even better then an NT at times...

maddy43
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2012, 8:37 am

My daughter is 23 and is a singersongwriter with aspergers - she loves loves performing and feels completely free when shes performing -she rarely gets nervous but what she does find difficult sometimes is when a rush of people come up to her - she is though getting over it . She will be performing her own songs at a festival thisJune and will be on one of the main stages - it will be the biggest audience she has ever performed to - but she is really excited about it .

Radio is her favourite she loves going on local radio and performing live - she finds it alot of fun ! They dont always know she has aspergers so her answers can be really random and funny .

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

Yes, performing is probably the most awesome thing there is.
I feel free on stage. I'm totally pushed. Normally I feel uncomfortable, I don't know if people want to talk about the things I want to talk about. But on stage I can do anything I want. And the other people have to listen to me. and they like what I do, no matter how totally mindfucked it is! That feels great!

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:49 pm

I think music, especially the classical music that I love, is a great way to communicate emotionally between people who understand the music, and it is especially healthy for people on the spectrum who have a hard time expressing themselves emotionally.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 5:27 am

I'm an actor*, so yep, I totally get it. I've never understood how people could be anxious while public speaking or performing. It's very freeing and I feel the least subconscious of myself in front of a camera or on the stage.

I know an aspie girl (very very obviously aspie) who is quiet as a mouse and completely socially inept, which is why she blew us all away when she was able to step onto a stage and play a loud, domineering yet hilariously funny character in an amateur production. She earned a lot of respect after that.

awes wrote:
Yes, performing is probably the most awesome thing there is.
I feel free on stage. I'm totally pushed. Normally I feel uncomfortable, I don't know if people want to talk about the things I want to talk about. But on stage I can do anything I want. And the other people have to listen to me. and they like what I do, no matter how totally f**** it is! That feels great!

^This.

(* - I can finally say that legitimately.)

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

charles52
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

Just to echo what others have said - while I can be nervous about performing, in general I'm pretty good in that situation. As a songwriter, I think the thing is that I've had plenty of time to think out what it is that I want to say and I've been able to take the time to pick just the right words... so instead of having to figure out what to say on the spot, I've worked out all the words and I just have to deliver them... "per form," or "according to the way they're supposed to be delivered."

CantSwitchOff
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

I've been a Professional Wrestler for the past 10 years and absolutely love performing to an audience. It's never been easy, but the feeling it gives me makes it all worth it. Even after all this time I still get really nervous before going out and get that huge surge of adrenaline, but it's such a familiar feeling now that it's weirdly comforting, and take it as a sign I obviously still care.

There's something about the wall between myself and the audience, who would normally terrify me, that makes it all ok, and for 20 minutes I get to experience being a completely different person. I find I take quite an analytical approach to performing, constantly trying to monitor the audience while recalling long sequences in my head, as well as improving things as the time feels right, which I think gives me just enough to think about that I'm too busy to be nervous, and I just get on with my job.

Nikoru
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

the stage seems to be home to me. i get nervous getting up there past the people and then getting off the stage. but when i am there it seems very natural to be engulfed in the music. i love the harmonics, vibrations, when it all comes together.

i have not been performing for some time. i gradually shut down. i am in the process of breaking up with a hypercritical bully (didn't start out that way). i am now living in my new sanctuary, setting up my studio and decompressing & defrosting from that 10 year live in experience. i need a new job as i currently work for him. but that will surely come and then it's back to playing and writing.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

I hate being in front of crowds, but if I could go up and "get in the zone" playing an instrument, then I could see myself liking it. I don't actually have enough proficiency in any instrument though.