Wrestling with the Auto-Spell Check program.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

The auto spell checker and I don't always agree on how a word should be spelled. Also, it is apparently a British spell checker program, as it favors the British spelling on some words that Americans spell differently. I am American, and naturally use the American spelling. These disagreements mean I am always wrestling with the darn thing. I don't mind when it catches a typo, or a word that I am not absolutely sure how to spell correctly. But it catches so many other words that I am sure how to spell, or that are spelled differently based on whether one is British or American. I also have trouble sometimes with words I am not sure about. I will sometimes try several different spellings and still the spell checker won't like it, so I end up having to pick my own best guess and ignore the checker. You should be able to configure the language/country of your auto spell checker, not just the language you are using to access the web. It would also be good if you could add new words, or alternate spellings to an auto spell check dictionary--or for word wizards--a lexicon. :lol:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

Which spell checker are you talking about? If you are talking about the spelling in these forums it will be using whatever your browser is set to use. I use the Firefox web browser and it allows you to download and use whatever dictionaries you want. Personally I use British English and the Modern French dictionaries / spell checkers.

You also get spell checkers in word processing software such as Microsoft Word and other application software, each using dictionaries / spell checkers of your choice.

Edit: I'll just add that this site does not do any spell checking, any spelling "mistakes" are being pointed out by your own browser using whatever spell checker language you've set it to or the default spell checker.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

At one point when I was in the process for writing a guide for a game, I noticed that the spell check in my word document kept editing my document by auto correcting words that I had spelled correctly... they were just fictional. So it would screw up my sentences frequently... It made me quite frustrated because I feel I barely need spell check... and no spell or grammar check should be enforced :?. So I went into the settings for the spell check and disabled most all functions :|

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

Wish I could set autocorrect to display suggestions (like it does when there are multiple possibilities), but not change what I've written unless I select one.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Use a simpler text editor program that doesn't have a spell checker. If you know how to spell and how to use a dictionary then you don't need a speck checker.