Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

Thomas Hobbes.

He is wildly unpopular on both the left and the right, because his theory of human nature is all too accurate and flies in the face of what so many people in this world so desperately want to believe. He is the antithesis of religionists, traditionalists, and secular humanists.

You can draw a fine line between fact and being accurate some times things that seem accurate but later turn out to be not true or fact based with no evidence to back up such claims.

His ideas where dismissed at the time. But centuries later, especially during the 20th century, many of his ideas about human behavior have been proven right by modern science. To say that there is no evidence to back up his claims is a flat out lie.

Nietzsche, on the other hand, is very much the father of post-modernism. He appeals very much to hipsters and the modern american left due to his elitist beliefs and his postulation that truth is relative.

Proove it if in fact his ideas are accurate.

And Nietzshe also appeals to the right as well such as fascists like me.

30 Mar 2012, 3:46 pm

Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Thomas Hobbes.

He is wildly unpopular on both the left and the right, because his theory of human nature is all too accurate and flies in the face of what so many people in this world so desperately want to believe. He is the antithesis of religionists, traditionalists, and secular humanists.

You can draw a fine line between fact and being accurate some times things that seem accurate but later turn out to be not true or fact based with no evidence to back up such claims.

His ideas where dismissed at the time. But centuries later, especially during the 20th century, many of his ideas about human behavior have been proven right by modern science. To say that there is no evidence to back up his claims is a flat out lie.

Nietzsche, on the other hand, is very much the father of post-modernism. He appeals very much to hipsters and the modern american left due to his elitist beliefs and his postulation that truth is relative.

Even so, who he appeals to isn't as important as the fact that his ideas are about the relativism of truth are simply wrong. And this was demonstrated long before him by Sokratis back in ancient greece. Much of philosophy is involves generating ideas that have very little to no basis in reality. And yet, these ideas are exploited by people with an agenda to push because if others believe in them, they can be manipulated to behave in ways that suit their interests.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 3:50 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

Thomas Hobbes.

Even so, who he appeals to isn't as important as the fact that his ideas are about the relativism of truth are simply wrong. And this was demonstrated long before him by Sokratis back in ancient greece. Much of philosophy is involves generating ideas that have very little to no basis in reality. And yet, these ideas are exploited by people with an agenda to push because if others believe in them, they can be manipulated to behave in ways that suit their interests.

So you don't have any actual data or source to back up your state that it's a fact then.

30 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

Thomas Hobbes.

So you don't have any actual data or source to back up your state that it's a fact then.

The destructive behavior of people in the absence of a government, or central authority, even the temporary lapse of it, serve as fine examples of what Thomas Hobbes predicted about human nature. Nations without governments are some of the most violent and dangerous places in the world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

The destructive behavior of people in the absence of a government, or central authority, even the temporary lapse of it, serve as fine examples of what Thomas Hobbes predicted about human nature. Nations without governments are some of the most violent and dangerous places in the world.

How about the destructive behavior of people the -presence- of government? Look at what governed nations have done to the world in time of war. Nations with government are positively scary.

ruveyn

30 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

How about the destructive behavior of people the -presence- of government? Look at what governed nations have done to the world in time of war. Nations with government are positively scary.

ruveyn

So move to Somalia. If that's too much, you could also consider the Georgian Republic which AFAIK had a very weak, unstable government and in certain areas banditry is the law. Imagine no roads, no power grid, no public utilities, and not police of any sort to assist you when heavily armed thugs show up and outgun you. NOT MY CUP OF TEA.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

So move to Somalia. If that's too much, you could also consider the Georgian Republic which AFAIK had a very weak, unstable government and in certain areas banditry is the law. Imagine no roads, no power grid, no public utilities, and not police of any sort to assist you when heavily armed thugs show up and outgun you. NOT MY CUP OF TEA.

I merely point out that having a government is no guarantee of good behavior. Humans are fundamentally a nasty lot whether or not they have a government.

ruveyn

30 Mar 2012, 5:36 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

I merely point out that having a government is no guarantee of good behavior. Humans are fundamentally a nasty lot whether or not they have a government.

ruveyn

Unfortunately, this is true. I guess one could say that a government is a necessary evil.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:12 pm

See people will be violtent with or with out a government its human nature.

30 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

Joker wrote:

Yet without a government, the level of violence becomes so extreme that society cannot function. The reason is that there is no state to punish people who commit violence and the result is endless blood feuds and warlordship. Just look at Afghanistan after the Soviet withdrawal, or the eastern Congo.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:28 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:

Yet without a government, the level of violence becomes so extreme that society cannot function. The reason is that there is no state to punish people who commit violence and the result is endless blood feuds and warlordship. Just look at Afghanistan after the Soviet withdrawal, or the eastern Congo.

Two good examples Afganistan is the most corrupt government on the planet and the Soviet union had little militiary experience and really counld't handle Afganistan when America gave them assistance in fighting off the Soviets.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

Unfortunately, this is true. I guess one could say that a government is a necessary evil.

That it is, which mans that government is an evil.

ruveyn

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

I do admire many philosophers, and he is one of them. See my signiture^^

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

metaphysics wrote:
I do admire many philosophers, and he is one of them. See my signiture^^

Wunderbar :D

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

What do you admire of him? I am rather curious about the reason.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm