Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

I think having a professional who is familiar with special education rights and law, whether that be a lawyer or a therapist, at the table during the IEP meetings, is helpful just so you have a third party there. Lawsuits are a whole other matter (If I decided I was going to sue the district, I would have exhausted my resources with them - with an advocate by my side - and my kid would be out of there first. I don't see that happening at this point.)

The sad truth is that, despite how carefully the laws are written, there isn't a whole lot of accountability especially when it's just between you and the school; everything winds up being your word against theirs unless it winds up on paper. Just having a third party there, an outsider, helps.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I was surprised, btw, on what they told you about the aid. I would definitely try to verify that statement before accepting it. They could be interpreting state law incorrectly, especially since it is to their financial advantage to do so.

I was practically speechless. If what I was told is true, it is flat out discriminatory practice and it is apparently happening statewide. I will be doing everything I can to verify this. I mean you could argue one way or the other about what the least restrictive environment is; in the regular classroom with an aid vs in the resource room with a smaller group of kids, e.g. but for them to only offer aids for kids who's parents are in a financial situation which requires that their kids be on medicaid is absurd.

I believe Medicaid reimburses the schools for some speech and OT for kids who have it-- I wonder if they also pay for aids in those cases?

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 5:57 pm

zette wrote:
Bombaloo wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I was surprised, btw, on what they told you about the aid. I would definitely try to verify that statement before accepting it. They could be interpreting state law incorrectly, especially since it is to their financial advantage to do so.

I was practically speechless. If what I was told is true, it is flat out discriminatory practice and it is apparently happening statewide. I will be doing everything I can to verify this. I mean you could argue one way or the other about what the least restrictive environment is; in the regular classroom with an aid vs in the resource room with a smaller group of kids, e.g. but for them to only offer aids for kids who's parents are in a financial situation which requires that their kids be on medicaid is absurd.

I believe Medicaid reimburses the schools for some speech and OT for kids who have it-- I wonder if they also pay for aids in those cases?

This is my understanding based on what I was told by one of the members of our IEP team. Medicaid is paying for aids for 2 kids at our school but those are the ONLY children who can get an aid. There are NO aids available for children who don't qualify for Medicaid. AND, if I wanted to pay a similar person out of my own pocket to be my child's aid, the school district would not necessarily let that person work at our school (this is the part I really need to research more). I could personally volunteer my time because they cannot by law prevent me from being there but I find that rather counter-productive.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

Bombaloo wrote:
zette wrote:
Bombaloo wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

This is my understanding based on what I was told by one of the members of our IEP team. Medicaid is paying for aids for 2 kids at our school but those are the ONLY children who can get an aid. There are NO aids available for children who don't qualify for Medicaid. AND, if I wanted to pay a similar person out of my own pocket to be my child's aid, the school district would not necessarily let that person work at our school (this is the part I really need to research more). I could personally volunteer my time because they cannot by law prevent me from being there but I find that rather counter-productive.

You need to call the central office of your school district and threaten legal action. There may even be a law firm in your area that specializes in special ed advocates--I would contact your local Autism Society and see about this. I think your child's legal rights and the practicality of the school budget are in conflict, so they are leaning on you to lay off.

The same thing has happened to me at my son's school; he used to have an aid in kindergarten, but the aid was taken away at the end of the school year for trumped up reasons at the same time that there were a lot of district budget cuts. I dug deep into my own pocket for private ABA therapy between kindergarten and first grade in order to facilitate his being in first grade without an aid and spent all kinds of money on supplies for academic tutoring on the side. He was not at all ready for the step when the aid was taken away.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!