Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 1:31 pm

Yeah doesnt sound like AS.

ADHD mostly I think though it seems like there may be something else also.. hard to tell we would need more information.

[edit] Im going back in time? Whats up with the posting date and time here?

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 11:58 pm

:?

You are quite old (sorry :wink: ), you have been corrupted by the world for too many years, so diagnosing you is much harder than diagnosing a kid. Looking angry when you are not and fixing computers are good indication of Asperger. I'm not sure yet... I'll be thinking about it...

tortoise
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2006, 12:14 am

First rule of thumb...take everything from a message board with a grain of salt.

After hearing your story, I'd guess that you would be the classic ADHD adult, it all fits.
For background on that disorder try ->http://www.schwablearning.org/articles.asp?r=54
The bottom of the pdf, page 18, entitled a new view on ADHD, is pretty interesting stuff.

scottsmo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2006, 1:37 am

Hi there.

I haven't properly introduced myself, partly 'cause I don't know what to say. I haven't been diagnosed AS, but I have been treated for ADHD and depression several times with limited success. I know that there's something else going on. I'm wary of the medical profession and am frankly not in a position to utilize them anyway (underemployed, underinsured - just not NOT insured, for Medicaid).

I happened upon a website by a guy who described himself as AS. My thing didn't exactly jibe with his, but he had a questionaire that pretty well nailed me. Other than that, I've just been scared to find out. I guess it's time to look under the bed.

Do you guys know of an online diagnostic tool that is accurate? (Or maybe there's one onsite)

Thx

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 2:10 am

Well you can always just describe yourself to us and we'll tell you if you sound aspie or not, many people have done that in this forum, afterall no one knows aspies better than ourselves :)

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

scottsmo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2006, 3:12 am

So, 'community as assessment tool'. WTH

I s'pose diagnostic questionaires would be written by over-educated normal types who I don't trust anyway...

Just turned 50. Was treated for 'hyperactivity' since kindergarten. Little orange pills. Became class clown. Was in trouble every class period of every school day of every year till Jr. in High School. More spankings than anybody I know. More trips to principal than anybody I know. More fights than anybody I know. And I never could tell you WHY. I concluded that I was just bad. But I didn't think I was bad.

I zone off constantly. It's cost me several jobs. And I thought I was doing a good job! With people, I guess I don't avert my eyes. I stare at people (I guess). When they start backing up, I wonder 'what the hell's the matter with me?' Thought about wearing shaded glasses, like Fast Eddie Felson. I been treated for depression a couple of times. Zoloft. Made me feel weird and no sex drive. Screw that! Um, err, -forget it. Counselling? -The SOB would nod off (at $125/hr!) Then told me I'm still ADD and depressed. Duh! Aren't you SUPPOSED to feel crummy when life IS crummy?!?

People say I look angry all the time, even when I'm not. I don't have many friends. At least ones that call. My last jobs (Home Depot and a painting company) were disasters. Two weeks and eight weeks. One the supervisor, kept hounding me to hurry (and I sold more stuff than just about anybody in my dept!) till she fired me. The other boss teased me 'cause I'm a Christian and would't talk about who I'd like to plug. [If YOU'RE a hater, don't EVEN start with me] Pretty typical for the job history. Only job I had for more than a couple of years was PASTORING. I had this great opportunity to explain myself, but it didn't work too well with most people. I like Jesus, but I hate most organized religion.

I am have been married for 27 years. My wife was kind of strange, salutatorian of her class, till I corrupted her. We used to fight all the time. But we made up cause there was no place else to go. Now we're just kind of quiet.

I fix things for people. Computers, cars, electrical, plumbing. (Did phone geeking for Gateway and Actiontec, lasted about 1 yr at each) I can cook-book about anything, if nobody's watching. But most days I don't go out. It just doesn't FEEL good.

So Doc, am I gonna live?