Meeting people "in public places"- does it work fo

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

dustyrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

I'm a 20 year old university student, surrounded by people my own age that I should be socially integrated with, right? Wrong, I've lost (basically) all my friends from first year and I think I'd feel more comfortable starting fresh rather than trying to reintegrate into my old group (hard to explain why so I won't).

However I have only 1 more month left of school and thus it's too late to join a club or something (all that starts at the beginning of the semester) so I'm wondering if any of you have had any luck with meeting people/making friends in random public places? Like stores/libraries, food/drink services or whatnot. I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea of going to a bar/club alone (went once awhile ago with an old friend and even that was uncomfortable) so I'm wondering if there are any alternative (i.e. daytime) places/activities where it is easier/more normal to meet new people?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

Stores, eating places, and bars are too transient a venue to really get to know people.

Try church groups, community sports groups, and community theater groups. Also, local libraries, community centers, and schools (after hours), often serve as meeting places for many groups, check with yours to see what's available.

Another option you might consider is taking up a hobby. You can then link up with others who share your interest.

Not long after I moved here I went to a garden talk at my very small local library, but my health issues make it hard for me to get out, so I haven't been to any other library functions. I do like that such things are available, though. All the libraries around here do stuff like that. Some even have movie nights. One thing that I am pleased with is that my little local library recently bought a double lot about a block from it's current site, where a new, bigger replacement library will be built. It definitely needs a bigger facility, even though this is a very small town. It is currently crammed into part of the small municipal building. I am looking forward to trying out the new library after it is built.

Have fun trying out these different ideas on meeting people. :D

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Only hobbies have worked for me...otherwise people are very difficult to meet. Not that we need them much anyways, you just need a few ones to talk to occasionally.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Brodi56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

I've had good luck with church groups. You have to go at least three times because the first two times everybody will "pounce" on the new person, but by the third time you're no longer new and you get left alone.