Dont mind 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Dislike 28%  28%  [ 42 ]
Hate 45%  45%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 150

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:37 pm

Dunno, trousers don't look easy for the amateur to create. Shirts maybe. I've always wanted to unpick an old shirt that fits well, and clone it. But trousers - have you seen the number of pieces and the complexity of the zip?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 4:45 pm

Actually, I had a business partner who agreed to take apart a much-loved old pair of jeans and copy them in leather. (That's where I saw sewing being done, while I pounded metal.) Nobody noticed that the old seams did a 1/6 twist or so on the way to the cuffs until the new pants were presented. We got sued, but won.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 10:01 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Dunno, trousers don't look easy for the amateur to create. Shirts maybe. I've always wanted to unpick an old shirt that fits well, and clone it. But trousers - have you seen the number of pieces and the complexity of the zip?

Amen to this. I always get confused ironing pants.

Recently, though, (Hate to obsess over them but they are SO comfortable) okay, you guessed it--high-waisted trousers. They are cut on an 1890s-1920s pattern before men wore belts...very simple to put together. I can't find patterns for them easily but would like to try making a few pairs.

There's no zipper either--it's a button fly, much more easily repaired. No pleats, no fancy stuff like jeans have, very simple bag pockets, and absolute pants paradise. (Overstatement.)

My first BIG project is going to be making an eight-panel cap out of some old wool suit and whatnot--I want to do a real one, with the satin lining up top (from inside the old suit) and leather sweatband.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:33 am

I used to hate clothes shopping, but now I love it. I like to have a choice of different clothes in my wardrobe, so I tend to buy new clothes often.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:36 am

I don’t like the “shopping experience”—I like buying clothes online.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 8:01 am

ToughDiamond wrote:

Actually, a basic pair of trousers/slacks is easier to make than a shirt (at least for me). Learning how to make the fly/put in the zipper is not harder than making a good collar, and making pockets is even easier. It took me 3 tries to get it just right and these days the net is full of tutorials and tips.

Setting a sleeve right, on the other hand... now that's really something. Shirtmaking is truly an art form.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:25 am

I can't stand the feeling of changing clothes, the feeling of clothes on my body is not pleasant but the taking off and putting on of new ones is unbearable . Only got diagnosed aspie 3 years ago aged 37 and had no idea a lifetime of clothing difficulties could have indicated it.

online shopping is great too. I am another Threadless user.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 2:20 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Actually, a basic pair of trousers/slacks is easier to make than a shirt (at least for me). Learning how to make the fly/put in the zipper is not harder than making a good collar, and making pockets is even easier. It took me 3 tries to get it just right and these days the net is full of tutorials and tips.

Setting a sleeve right, on the other hand... now that's really something. Shirtmaking is truly an art form.

You may be right. I've not actually tried yet, all I've done is to take a look and feel daunted. But most things I do that are worth doing begin like that.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 2:23 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Recently, though, (Hate to obsess over them but they are SO comfortable) okay, you guessed it--high-waisted trousers. They are cut on an 1890s-1920s pattern before men wore belts...very simple to put together. I can't find patterns for them easily but would like to try making a few pairs.
There's no zipper either--it's a button fly, much more easily repaired. No pleats, no fancy stuff like jeans have, very simple bag pockets, and absolute pants paradise. (Overstatement.)

I prefer the look of Victorian clothes to modern, in general, though some of the 1960s and 70s styles weren't bad either. I've never seen anything to beat those elegant frock coats they used to wear, at least from a looks point of view. I once had a huge library book full of examples of clothing through the ages, and that had a lot of scaled-down patterns in it. Unfortunately I had to return the book before document scanners were commonplace, or I'd have copied the lot.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 2:41 pm

It's not my favorite that is for sure. I also hate how expensive stuff is, I mean even at wal-mart they charge like 20 bucks for cheap clothes that should cost no more than 5-10 dollars in my opinion.

Anymore I prefer to just get clothes at the thrift store, its reusing and you can find nice stuff for significantly cheaper than it would cost at a store new. Also its easier to use the dressing room...since you can just go in one, I find it akward at stores where they have an attendant and they gotta go unlock one for you or whatever.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 11:57 am

Wal-Mart does not run sales to spoil their image. Instead, they send shirts that don't sell to Value Village, at least in Canada.
I avoid polyester, as it makes me stink much sooner than other fabrics.
I don't have a sewing machine now, so replacing a coat zipper took me 4 hours, but I do most alterations and repair with hot glue. If that would show, I use Jiffy Sew glue.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 3:54 am

I love shopping for clothes most of the time. I mostly shop at thrift stores and all the clothes I choose are aspie-friendly: :) Right material, texture, being washable and breathable. I only go to regular stores when buying gifts. I love having a large selection of clothes that are comfortable, good looking and cheap. I do get tired of them easily and donate a lot after a year or two, but they're so cheap it hardly matter anyway. I'm good at sewing so a little bit of flaw don't bother me. I like fixing and restoring things, and rescuing them from the dump.

If we don't have so many thrift stores around I might not like shopping so much. :o I do buy shoes, socks and underwear new, of course.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 3:57 am

i don't donate clothes [usually back to the goodwill, a convenient and profitable thing for THEM in any case :oops: ] unless they don't fit my expanding girth anymore.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2019, 4:30 am

My mum used to take me shopping (general shopping that is, not just for clothes) regularly on Saturdays, probably up until I was around 13 or 14. My least favourite shops were the clothes shops; I just found clothes to be boring necessities in general. My favourite shops were DVD/VHS/gaming ones and book shops.

Since then I've gained more appreciation for clothes and styles of clothing that suit my tastes, but it's still not exactly a 'passion' of mine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 6:04 am

I'm desperate to go clothes shopping right now, but I don't have the money. :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2019, 6:22 am

I like online shopping. I hate going to stores.