Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 12:25 am

the psychiatrist i visited was saying that i suffer from low self esteem
how do i work on my self esteem it has been damaged due to bad childhood
narcissistic mother, bullying brother and alcoholic father plus excessive abuse.

any technique to build self esteem?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

There is no magic "cure" for low self esteem and no one can give it to you. You yourself have to do stuff to effect the change in you. Here are some things you can do that can help.

- Exercise. It releases mood boosting endorphins.

- Eat healthy, and enough food. Starving your self for a diet is not healthy as it deprives the body of needed nutrients, and makes people miserable, and eventually you will compensate by coming off the diet and binging. Besides the skeleton look is dreadful, not cute.

- Get plenty of rest. It is healthy, and will help to improve energy levels and mood.

- Read funny stories and watch funny shows. Humor also releases mood boosting endorphins.

- Volunteer. There are people out there worse off than we are. Helping them will boost your mood and self esteem.

- Take up a hobby and/or join a club. You will meet people who share your interests. Being involved with a hobby can boost the esteem.

- Get involved with community groups, theater groups, sports groups, the local library, fairs, art shows, fund raisers, etc. Being involved with stuff is good for the esteem.

- Take courses, either in person or online. Some online courses are free.

- If you are not working, get a job.

It's up to you to raise your esteem. Some of the above items raise the mood. That's related, as low self esteem has a low mood as a side kick. Raise the mood and you have already won part of the battle.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 1:18 am

I'm not good enough to have low self-esteem.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 1:40 am

questor wrote:
There is no magic "cure" for low self esteem and no one can give it to you. You yourself have to do stuff to effect the change in you. Here are some things you can do that can help.

- Exercise. It releases mood boosting endorphins.
i go for walks

- Eat healthy, and enough food. Starving your self for a diet is not healthy as it deprives the body of needed nutrients, and makes people miserable, and eventually you will compensate by coming off the diet and binging. Besides the skeleton look is dreadful, not cute.
i am vegan and eat nutritious food

- Get plenty of rest. It is healthy, and will help to improve energy levels and mood.
ya i do rest sufficiently

- Read funny stories and watch funny shows. Humor also releases mood boosting endorphins.
i prefer watching horror

- Volunteer. There are people out there worse off than we are. Helping them will boost your mood and self esteem.
exactly i used to read tarot for free but then situation got out of control

- Take up a hobby and/or join a club. You will meet people who share your interests. Being involved with a hobby can boost the esteem.
i had joined music class but felt left out

- Get involved with community groups, theater groups, sports groups, the local library, fairs, art shows, fund raisers, etc. Being involved with stuff is good for the esteem.
i get social phobia at such places will join if i had one friend together

- Take courses, either in person or online. Some online courses are free.
have done many many courses and spend loads of money on them

- If you are not working, get a job.
ya have a part time job, but politics at work is eating me up

It's up to you to raise your esteem. Some of the above items raise the mood. That's related, as low self esteem has a low mood as a side kick. Raise the mood and you have already won part of the battle.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:25 am

One thing that really helped me was coming here and realizing I'm not a freak, that I'm not alone, that I am who I am and there are many others like me. I've made many mistakes in my life, but I forgive myself and choose to move forward not hating myself for failing to meet the status quo. I don't compare myself to others (try not to) because I can't be everyone around me. But I can be me. I'm very good at that.

That doesn't mean I don't want to learn more or try to improve, I just don't want do those things from a spirit of guilt. I want to grow purely because I want to. Something like that lol. Oh and never take myself too seriously.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 5:04 am

Aharon wrote:
One thing that really helped me was coming here and realizing I'm not a freak, that I'm not alone, that I am who I am and there are many others like me. I've made many mistakes in my life, but I forgive myself and choose to move forward not hating myself for failing to meet the status quo. I don't compare myself to others (try not to) because I can't be everyone around me. But I can be me. I'm very good at that.

That doesn't mean I don't want to learn more or try to improve, I just don't want do those things from a spirit of guilt. I want to grow purely because I want to. Something like that lol. Oh and never take myself too seriously.

words of wisdom
i am like the square peg trying hard to fit into a circle