What do you think will be the mayan calendar apocalypse?

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 7:50 pm

I think it's less likely to cause problems than the 32-bit unix epoch.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Alexender wrote:
I think it will be the magnetic poles switching. Supposedly we are 750,000 thousand years over due.

Oh and don't go on here just to say the mayan calendar is just a hoax, I know it is.

The magnetic pole switch will be the least of our problems!

On the date in question the Yellowstone Super Volcanoe will blow ( we are only 600 thousand years overdue for that) burying the whole USA in ash and turning the planet to toast.

Not just the US, most if not all of North America.

Air travel in the northern hemisphere would be shut down for years, the massive amount of ash kicked up would likely drop the planets temperature swing us in to a minor ice age... end of the modern world if it decides to blow.

You will reap what you've sown.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

abacacus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Alexender wrote:
I think it will be the magnetic poles switching. Supposedly we are 750,000 thousand years over due.

Oh and don't go on here just to say the mayan calendar is just a hoax, I know it is.

The magnetic pole switch will be the least of our problems!

On the date in question the Yellowstone Super Volcanoe will blow ( we are only 600 thousand years overdue for that) burying the whole USA in ash and turning the planet to toast.

Not just the US, most if not all of North America.

Air travel in the northern hemisphere would be shut down for years, the massive amount of ash kicked up would likely drop the planets temperature swing us in to a minor ice age... end of the modern world if it decides to blow.

You know, I've heard folks say, 'Why aren't we doing anything about this?!?!?' and all I can think is, '....Like /what/?'. That's gonna be one helluva game-changer when that hammer finally falls.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:

You know, I've heard folks say, 'Why aren't we doing anything about this?!?!?' and all I can think is, '....Like /what/?'. That's gonna be one helluva game-changer when that hammer finally falls.

There is not a bloody thing we can do to stop the Yellowstone Super Volcano from blowing when the magma chamber fills up. The best we can do is get away (only a few will be able to succeed) or find a way to filter the ash out of the air.

ruveyn

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

Honestly, the only even remotely plausible idea I could think of would be to try and release some of the pressure with drilling/explosions to cause lots of little eruptions before the one big one can happen, but I somehow doubt that it's logistically or physically possible.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:28 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Honestly, the only even remotely plausible idea I could think of would be to try and release some of the pressure with drilling/explosions to cause lots of little eruptions before the one big one can happen, but I somehow doubt that it's logistically or physically possible.

The super volcano is much too large for any minor venting to work. When these things blow it releases a mammoth amount of energy. Look up the Toba Volcano which nearly wiped out the human race 75,000 years ago. Also look up the Siberian and Deccan Traps. The Siberian traps were a set of super volcanic eruptions that lasted nearly a million years and lead to the extinction of 95 percent of life on this planet.

If the Yellowstone super goes boom we are toast. Some of the human race will survive, but very few will survive in North America. His name is Super Volcano, prepare to die.

We our completely outclassed by Super Volcanoes. By comparison, the eruption of Vesuvius was a mere hiccup.

ruveyn

slaraka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2012, 8:55 pm

The Mayan calendar didn't account for "leap years". If the world was going to end because of this it would have done so last year.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:57 pm

slaraka wrote:
The Mayan calendar didn't account for "leap years". If the world was going to end because of this it would have done so last year.

Did you read my post where I said don't try to say why it is false?

AdjustedSanity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

I don't have an opinion on this. I do expect to see the world end while I'm alive though.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 2:08 am

A Friday.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 4:06 am

Alexender wrote:
slaraka wrote:

Did you read my post where I said don't try to say why it is false?

so you are the ultimate decider of who posts what?

that said i believe the mayan calender will end in raske penge becoming the rulers of the galaxy.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 6:07 am

AdjustedSanity wrote:
I don't have an opinion on this. I do expect to see the world end while I'm alive though.

Live long and prosper.

\\//

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:10 pm

I'm a-bumping this because the December 21 is three weeks plus 1 day away, and because the thread began less than a year ago.

I expect about one-tenth of one percent of the population to show any concern at all, and an even smaller amount to show any real anxiety. I also expect the Fox News to focus on that tiny fraction of the population that is prone to panic, just to boost their own ratings.

I predict that those who predicted Earth-shattering changes will try to back-spin their stories, claim that the changes are "spiritual" in nature, and that their original predictions were not meant to be taken literally.

I predict that a lot of disaster survival gear and supplies will go on sale just in time for Christmas.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

Just like the year 2000,I got lots of free canned goods from people after that.Maybe I'll score some more after nothing happens Dec 21.My neighbor has a whole "crop" of people hiding out in a cave for the coming "event",he considers them a renewable source of income.Every few years there is an end of the world scenario,they pay him to hide in this cave.
Smart,smart man :lol:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

I predict NASA will announce they've discovered life on Mars and the world will panic thinking we are being invaded by little green men. The religious fundies will go wappy at the news and amid the chaos someone will start throwing nukes about starting WW3. :P