Texas myths busted by ME!! ! Semi-Rant :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2012, 8:01 pm

If I receive another message asking if I have a ranch or farm, I'm going to scream!! ! Ok, not really scream, but why does everybody think just because I live in Texas, I own some sort of cattle?

Top 5 Texas Myths:

1. We all live on ranches. People, I live in a regular 4 bedroom home in the suburbs. No ranch and certainly not a farm.

2. We wear 10 gallon hats. I don't own cowboy hats, pants, shirts, nothing!! ! I am into alternative rock and have tattoo's. Nothing cowboy here!

3. We ride horses to work. I own a Ford Explorer and have a Vespa in my garage, no horses.

4. The women have big hair. The days I actually care about my hair, I prefer it straight as hell.

5. Everyone owns an oil well. I WISH!! ! Maybe then I could pay off my Explorer and move out of my Mom's house!! !

Just a few things from a friendly Texan. Now, I say ya'll all the freaking time. Some people think it's cute, I'm here to say it's just necessity, living here in the Lone Star State, you'd be hung if you didn't :)

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:04 pm

Where in Texas do you live?

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

Suburbs of Dallas. Quite nice, actually. City life a half an hour away from where I live.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

So where in your suburban home do you keep your cattle, then? Are 12 gallon hats now in vogue instead of 10 gallon hats? If you don't ride horses to work, what is the point in having so many?

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:40 pm

I heard you all have Hispanic immigrants that tend to your garden.

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

Vigilans wrote:
So where in your suburban home do you keep your cattle, then? Are 12 gallon hats now in vogue instead of 10 gallon hats? If you don't ride horses to work, what is the point in having so many?

Oh, dear...where do I start??? :lmao:

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
I heard you all have Hispanic immigrants that tend to your garden.

I took that too far, sorry.

Last edited by katwithhat on 26 Mar 2012, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

Kat, you don't live far from where I live. I live in Arlington, so thus I'm a lot more accustomed to city life.

I agree with your points. The pervasive notions (most of them, at least) of Texas are not true for a majority of its residents.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

katwithhat wrote:
If I receive another message asking if I have a ranch or farm, I'm going to scream!! ! Ok, not really scream, but why does everybody think just because I live in Texas, I own some sort of cattle?

Top 5 Texas Myths:

1. We all live on ranches. People, I live in a regular 4 bedroom home in the suburbs. No ranch and certainly not a farm.

2. We wear 10 gallon hats. I don't own cowboy hats, pants, shirts, nothing!! ! I am into alternative rock and have tattoo's. Nothing cowboy here!

3. We ride horses to work. I own a Ford Explorer and have a Vespa in my garage, no horses.

4. The women have big hair. The days I actually care about my hair, I prefer it straight as hell.

5. Everyone owns an oil well. I WISH!! ! Maybe then I could pay off my Explorer and move out of my Mom's house!! !

Just a few things from a friendly Texan. Now, I say ya'll all the freaking time. Some people think it's cute, I'm here to say it's just necessity, living here in the Lone Star State, you'd be hung if you didn't :)

1. No ranch here either. I live in a 3-bedroom suburban house (I live just outside of Houston).

2. No 10-gallon hats, but I do collect baseball caps. I am into artsy films and acoustic pop/jazz (but have many other interests as well).

3. No horses. I drive a Ford Focus, but want a Buick Enclave or Subaru Tribeca.

4. I'm a guy, so this one doesn't apply. I usually have my hair very short, often in a buzz cut.

5. Actually that one is true. We have land in north Texas (ancestral homes) that has several producing wells.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

I would post a rant about the misconceptions about new orleanians... but we'd be here all day...

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:09 am

To be honest i never assumed any of that but it was fun to read anyway, it seems a lot of people in the world also assume that dutch people live in windmills etc, but i wont go off topic for that xD

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2012, 8:24 am

Moonhawk wrote:
To be honest i never assumed any of that but it was fun to read anyway, it seems a lot of people in the world also assume that dutch people live in windmills etc, but i wont go off topic for that xD

So, I'm assuming no wooden shoes?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 11:02 am

Moonhawk wrote:

one of my dear friends is from belgium... she gets annoyed when I ask her what makes belgian wallfles so special.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

27 Mar 2012, 12:49 pm

katwithhat wrote:

I can understand what your saying there la, I get to hear alot of misconceptions about my home town Liverpool & its people we Scouses.

A good deal of them misconceptions are based from media bias from London and Manchester (two very jealous cities of my own city's achievements as a global city IMHO, as over the last ten years I had people from both them city's visit Liverpool telling my that my home town is better than theres) based on the 1980s plus the global media view of Liverpool is that we'll only famous for the Merseybeat era of pop music.

I found that peoples attitudes change about my own city and Scouses after people take the time to fully explore my city when visiting it, & research into Liverpool's very rich & 800 years plus history Also I hope that my own city's new marketing campaign (...it's Liverpool/...I'm Liverpool) I feel with with also help to change attitudes.

PS The word Texan has an different meaning in Scouse, Texan is an colloquialism for an idiot with a high opinion of themselves!