Adults: What are your earliest memories?

Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 9:03 pm

Udinaas wrote:
My earliest memories are of being three. I don't remember my third birthday but I remember my fourth. My mom made me a chocolate cake shaped like a triceratops.

very charming. you only got 12 more before you're @ 1000 posts. :star:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 9:12 pm

I remember the time before I was able to comprehend scale. I tried to climb the ladder on a toy firetruck. One strange early memory was of playing with mother's button collection. There was one which, if scratched, gave off a sweetish odour unlike any other material I've ever found.

Slappy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2021, 9:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^welcome back, Slappy :flower: 14 months is a sign of genius. :study: :star:

Thanks, I see it's been 13 years since my last post here. I got busy since then starting and running a tech business which I sold and can live off now. I did end up graduating from MIT, but I'm no genius and don't know how I got in. I had 740 math on my SAT but only 580 verbal. I ended up with a 'C' to borderline 'D' GPA there, I think it was just because everybody there knew how to study full-time while I got distracted by other pursuits. I've been pretty lucky in retrospect.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 10:15 pm

Slappy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^welcome back, Slappy :flower: 14 months is a sign of genius. :study: :star:

Thanks, I see it's been 13 years since my last post here. I got busy since then starting and running a tech business which I sold and can live off now. I did end up graduating from MIT, but I'm no genius and don't know how I got in. I had 740 math on my SAT but only 580 verbal. I ended up with a 'C' to borderline 'D' GPA there, I think it was just because everybody there knew how to study full-time while I got distracted by other pursuits. I've been pretty lucky in retrospect.

you are among the elect few who know that retired is the best way to live :star:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 3:36 pm

Lying in a cot in the spare room making quiet groaning noises while staring at the pattern (like overlapping graph lines in many different colours) on a mattress leaning against the wall. I assume I was 2 at the time.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2021, 9:29 pm

Sometime in 1989 (I believe), I had a memory of me and my mom spending time together. We would take showers together, and I would accompany her on errands. I also had memories of attending OT, as well as reading my favorite books and watching my favorite TV shows.

I was very fond of Sesame Street, Disney, and Nickelodeon (pre-Nicktoons), and loved to read Dr. Seuss, Berenstain Bears, and Sweet Pickles. I used to spend my early childhood in a suburb in Maine, and loved to play with the animals there. My old neighbor's dog wasn't always friendly, but took a liking to me. There was also a brook nearby that my family would often visit, especially during the summer.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:29 pm

My earliest memories are when I was 3 yrs. Very precious memories of my Mother and. I. She passed away when I was 4yrs. She was an amazing Mother who knew just how to handle me and provided me with amazing experiences(art/craft/music/nature) so I went on to attempt to emulate her as an adult.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 6:47 pm

I have a vague memory of being in a crib in my grandparents' parlour, and trying to make a stuffed penguin move across the room toward me by telekinesis. I was upset and surprised that it didn't work. I felt like it had worked in the past, somehow. I have no idea how old I was but I think I was a toddler as opposed to an infant. After that I have some fleeting, sensory memories of my granddad's outdoor workshop which was full of broken cars and machinery. I used to go there alone and climb on the broken stuff. One time I climbed up on the roof, past broken windows. It all smelled like warm tar, dust, and grease. There were always dust particles in the sunlight. We moved away before I turned five so it had to be age 3 or 4. I have no other memories of that house.

I also remember realising I was just a mind, and that my body felt dissociated. I was about 4.

Then everything goes blank until I was 6 or 7.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have a vague memory of being in a crib in my grandparents' parlour, and trying to make a stuffed penguin move across the room toward me by telekinesis. I was upset and surprised that it didn't work. I felt like it had worked in the past, somehow. I have no idea how old I was but I think I was a toddler as opposed to an infant. After that I have some fleeting, sensory memories of my granddad's outdoor workshop which was full of broken cars and machinery. I used to go there alone and climb on the broken stuff. One time I climbed up on the roof, past broken windows. It all smelled like warm tar, dust, and grease. There were always dust particles in the sunlight. We moved away before I turned five so it had to be age 3 or 4. I have no other memories of that house. I also remember realising I was just a mind, and that my body felt dissociated. I was about 4. Then everything goes blank until I was 6 or 7.

i believe, for whatever it is worth, that your toddler self had fresh memories of the higher realm whence you came fairly freshly, where you COULD employ direct telekinesis to move stuff. :star:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:37 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i believe, for whatever it is worth, that your toddler self had fresh memories of the higher realm whence you came fairly freshly, where you COULD employ direct telekinesis to move stuff. :star:

Thanks! I wouldn't disagree with you!
I remember when I was ten the night I got home from summer camp (a harrowing experience unto itself), there was a show on TV about telekinesis and spontaneous combustion. I stood there thinking "OMG - there's a name for that thing that I used to do, that I couldn't do with the penguin!"

I also thought spontaneous combustion was downright terrifying. Is that really a thing?!

(Off topic, sorry).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 10:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Thanks! I wouldn't disagree with you!
I remember when I was ten the night I got home from summer camp (a harrowing experience unto itself), there was a show on TV about telekinesis and spontaneous combustion. I stood there thinking "OMG - there's a name for that thing that I used to do, that I couldn't do with the penguin!" I also thought spontaneous combustion was downright terrifying. Is that really a thing?! (Off topic, sorry).

much has been written about spontaneous combustion. what many of the victims had in common was a high body fat % and a propensity for tobacco and alky.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2021, 11:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
much has been written about spontaneous combustion. what many of the victims had in common was a high body fat % and a propensity for tobacco and alky.

The physics still don't work. If the alcohol content and water content were close to combustible, life would be long gone, but the stories claim enough heat to burn the surroundings. I suspect foul play, perpetrated on people in an alcoholic stupor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:32 am

Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The physics still don't work. If the alcohol content and water content were close to combustible, life would be long gone, but the stories claim enough heat to burn the surroundings. I suspect foul play, perpetrated on people in an alcoholic stupor.

in many cases, there was little or no damage to the surroundings, how to explain that?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in many cases, there was little or no damage to the surroundings, how to explain that?

Fire management. There are several other possibilities too, but none of them hit 50% odds in my mind.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:38 am

Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Fire management. There are several other possibilities too, but none of them hit 50% odds in my mind.

in the pics i saw there was nobody to manage the fire, it just went out on its own.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
in the pics i saw there was nobody to manage the fire, it just went out on its own.

If you took a picture of my kitchen now, you woudn't see me there, but that would not prove I had not been there.