Adults: What are your earliest memories?

Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

My earliest memory of my father holding me supine on his lap and looking happy, and then suddenly putting me down and rushing from the room. I might have peed on him, or he may have heard the telephone.
My next memory is of crawling off a blanket, and encountering dew on the grass.

zkg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2021, 2:20 pm

My earliest memory was just before my third birthday, when my father had appendicitis. He was convalescing in a spare room, and I can remember going out to the store with my mother one evening, and then going upstairs and speaking with him as he was about to go to sleep. I distinctly recall telling him what had happened on that day's "Mister Rogers Neighborhood."

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 3:35 am

scubasteve wrote:
Also, what are they mostly of? Places? People? Events?

I ask because we had a discussion on this in class, and many of my classmates were able to recall events in detail from as early as 5 years old. I have some visual memories (buildings and video games) from around 7-8, but I don't really recall anything that happened before 12-13. I'm wondering if others find this unusual or might have a similar experience, and also if anyone has any insight as to whether this could be related to Asperger's or ADHD. Thanks.

one of my earliest memories is building a campfire

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

I remember a lot of things from when I was a baby/toddler and young child. Most of my memories are probably from around 2-7 years old, and I don't really remember much after that until I was 15.

My earliest memory is of me being bathed in the sink, and I was able to sit up but not stand up then. I could recognize some things my parents were saying and when my mom said the bath was over I remember being mad about it.

I remember my 1st, 3rd/4th, and 5th birthdays, and remember collecting rocks and clovers all the time.

I also remember playing Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Super Smash Bros. a bunch, and playing with a Game Boy version of Tamagotchi. I remember what the cartridges for everything looked like and what my room looked like.

All of this was before age 5 and I remember a lot more besides these things. A lot of people say their brains kind of "hit record" more often after 4/5, but I had the opposite experience and my brain stopped "recording" things that often after 4/5.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 3:30 pm

My earliest memory is from when I was four.
But I'm not sure I remember it.
It could be just remembering thinking about the memory.

/Mats

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:51 pm

i think i was between 3 and 4, i drank some red-colored medicinally sweet worm medicine. later on, i remember my mom opened the towel cabinet, saw a bunch of reddened and ate-up towels, the bottle of worm medicine exploded for some reason and its contents turned out to be acidic. ugh.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 4:43 am

A series of big earthquakes when I was 3. From age 3 to 4 was an eventful year and I've written several chapters to cover that period in my memoir. :) It would be too long and dramatic to describe here. Anyway my memory started with a bang, and I have lifelong preference for things that are well built and sturdy (that include people).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2021, 1:00 pm

My earliest memory is listening to the radio in the kitchen and dancing to 'Shangri La' by The Kinks the summer that I was 2.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 8:50 pm

Teething rings … they looked like pretzels and tasted like rubber.

TomBarclay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2021, 10:41 pm

I think I was 3ish, and it was of being in a car port in Alameda ca. I think I was being separated from my 20ish sister. My guess I had bonded with her and not my mother. With that being some 56 years ago I am really not sure.

Cat-q=111

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 10:46 pm

i was probably 4, i remember having to go to the house next door, the housewife put me in her kitchen and fed me tomato soup, i stayed alone in that kitchen until my sister came to get me. this was when my mom was in the hospital.

Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2021, 11:29 pm

I remember riding a toy train with dad when I was about 4. Then I saw a photo of that same toy train for the first time in my 30s, and now that memory is messed up.

The earliest I can remember from where there is no photographic evidence (which should make it a bit less likely it's a false memory) is of going to a candy cane factory at age 4-5.

I'm not the stereotypical memory machine some autistics are portrayed as.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2021, 5:44 pm

I was born premature and spent some time in a humidicrib then. Since that's the only time I spent in such a device, I guess that's how far I remember back, since I remember the box. Next was months later when I was able to stand up by holding onto a chair.

Actually... I remember suddenly entering this bright world. I'm guessing it has something to do with getting hit by the sudden contrast...

That's my story, I'm sticking to it.

Slappy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2021, 8:44 pm

I have a ton of memories of a certain house we lived in when I was age 1 to 4. I asked my mom about a memory of laying in my playpen outdoors at a campground trying to reach up to tree leaves that were swaying in the wind, and my mom back then laughing and saying something about they're way too high to reach. She also remembered that and said I was 14 months old then, which I believe is my earliest memory. Then I remember my brother being brought home from the hospital after being born (17 months younger than me) and my parents showing him to me in an infant carrier.

Then I have plenty of memories after that. I'm always surprised when people say they can't remember their childhood, because mine are still very vivid to me (now age 52).

I also always hated how my mother would say in my adulthood "Do you remember when..." regarding something in my childhood, after I had told her many times "Yes, I remember everything!" I'd tell her to please just say "Remember when..." instead of "Do you remember when..." because the former means "I'm thinking about something in our mutual past" while the latter means "you may not know what I'm about to talk about" which is completely different, and kind of insulting when I've told her many times I remember everything after age 14 months or whatever.

But yea, 14 months is my earliest memory I think.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:51 pm

^^^welcome back, Slappy :flower: 14 months is a sign of genius. :study: :star:

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:57 pm

My earliest memories are of being three. I don't remember my third birthday but I remember my fourth. My mom made me a chocolate cake shaped like a triceratops.