People with milder forms of autism struggle as adults

Page 11 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:45 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
^^^
well it only sounds mildly intresting to me because I want a night job.

If your not a dr what other options are their ?

I don't know...fast food, but screw that, I would rather clean toilets.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
^^^

Yeah I feel the same .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
^^^

Yeah I feel the same .

at least one does not have to sell their soul for that, but I am pretty sure I would need to sell my soul to satan in exchange for the ability to deal with being stuck in fast food place for more than an hour if I took a job like that.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
at least one does not have to sell their soul for that, but I am pretty sure I would need to sell my soul to satan in exchange for the ability to deal with being stuck in fast food place for more than an hour if I took a job like that.

I worked in fast food. I got in trouble for taking too many restroom breaks (single occupancy lockable restrooms) to get away from the overload.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm

^^^

Yeah well it's time like this that remind me that I'm not a completely emotionless freak. 8)

I felt like (curiosity) I had sold my soul to the devil after watching 5 minutes of "McDonald's Grilled" on tv recently a documentary funded by well McDonald's! oh it was" produced " by an independent production company.(whatever that means)

Worse yet groan one of the "contestants" a lawyer at the start of the show claimed she "does not suffer fools well" oh it's so reassuring to know some one so learned has no qualms with McDonald's and in fact gets AAA+ rating for nutrition, labor practices , animal welfare etc etc.

What a sad world we live in :(

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I worked in fast food. I got in trouble for taking too many restroom breaks (single occupancy lockable restrooms) to get away from the overload.

well I don't think that job would be on a "suitable jobs for people with autism" list.

Deadly .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
^^^

Yeah well it's time like this that remind me that I'm not a completely emotionless freak. 8)

I felt like (curiosity) I had sold my soul to the devil after watching 5 minutes of "McDonald's Grilled" on tv recently a documentary funded by well McDonald's! oh it was" produced " by an independent production company.(whatever that means)

Worse yet groan one of the "contestants" a lawyer at the start of the show claimed she "does not suffer fools well" oh it's so reassuring to know some one so learned has no qualms with McDonald's and in fact gets AAA+ rating for nutrition, labor practices , animal welfare etc etc.

What a sad world we live in :(

I should just sell my soul for rock & roll and metal I mean what the hell else is there in life other then that its one of the few things that has not been ruined in over 60 years...maybe the devil could give me awesome guitar abilities or something. But that's not very likely so toilet scrubbing it is.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
well I don't think that job would be on a "suitable jobs for people with autism" list.

Deadly .

I didn't know I was autistic at the time, and it was the only kind of job I could find. It was also a mistake.

I did pick up a lot of social scripts from it, though.

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2012, 7:18 am

arko5 wrote:
If you're using crutches people don't expect you to run, they'll hold doors open for you and treat you with respect. The same consideration should be given to those with invisible disabilities. When I was unemployed I had to do weekly one-to-one interviews where I was matched up to possible jobs, and I couldn't explain why I'd find store jobs or telephone jobs unbearable (I didn't have the diagnosis at that point, just suspected) so I just had to mutter some vague agreements when they suggested applying. A week later and I'd be interrogated as to why I hadn't applied (I think they thought I was just being lazy or cheating the system).

Thankfully I'm at university again now so I don't have to deal with that (yet), but I'm dreading graduation when I'll have to face the employment market. Anxiety about change/new situations makes it hard enough to apply for jobs but with the current jobs market I just feel that I stand no chance compared to the thousands of others who don't have social difficulties. Even now I'm noticing people building up contacts and getting work experience in my course, they're not necessarily the best in the subject but they're 'proactive' (I hate that word) and approach the lecturers whereas I'm not even comfortable approaching my supervisor if there's something I need to discuss. Through school I always thought 'good grades = good prospects', but it seems more and more that the world is built on social foundations and I'm not sure I can deal with that.

/rant over :D

I remember when I was at university back in the 1980s and really hating it, because I dreaded graduation and having to go out to work. So I can understand your feelings only too well. The other students all seemed so happy and were really excited about having a career after leaving, and people used to tell me how lucky I was, and what a great future I would have etc . I just felt terrified the whole time.