Does anybody remember reading these book as a kid?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 9:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Men

i was looking at a vintage t-shirt website and one of the shirts was one of the little misses...i remember being forced to read these in elementary school.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 9:14 pm

Ummmm, no. It was so long ago for me, that we read stories off Cuneiform clay tablets.

Sixela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2006, 9:22 pm

Heh, yes they made me read those too. I used to like Mr. Topsy-Turvy, but I thought the rest of them were crap. That's funny. I hadn't thought of those in years and years, but as soon as I saw the two cover pics on that Wiki page, I thought 'Those ones suck, where's Topsy-Turvy?'.

Last edited by Sixela on 05 Nov 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lizmcg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2006, 9:44 pm

Is that a British/Canadian series? I never heard of it, for myself or my daughter.

Prof: Ha! In MY day, writing hadn't been invented yet. I'm still pretty good at memorizing and reciting epic poetry and geneological lists, though. Notch a mean stick, too.

Wake up, America, and smell the dictatorship!

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 9:52 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Ummmm, no. It was so long ago for me, that we read stories off Cuneiform clay tablets.

At least in your time they had upgraded to a portable format! :D

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 9:56 pm

Those are way too old to have been read by me. I remember reading books by Roald Dahl when I was very young. And I read a few by Stephen King. And I read every book about Greek mythology I could find. I also read a lot of books about Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sikhism. I couldn't find any books about other religions. I also started reading some FFVII fanfiction. But I stopped after all but one of them was about how Cloud was Sephiroth's boyfriend. I also have a picture in which Kuja is his boyfriend. I can find it and post it if anybody wants me to. ShadesOfMe already has the picture. She could probably post it.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 10:34 pm

i wonder if my elementary school has them...it's only been about 5 years or so. *wants to go back to elementary school*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 11:35 pm

I do. My favourite was Mr. Skinny.

fujikochan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2006, 3:32 am

They were around during my time, but I can't remember them. I had a lot of books pushed in front of me as a child because my preschool teachers were like, "Whoa, she can read! Make her!" Of course, in first grade, my teacher felt intimidated by my reading knowledge and thus used it as a reason to berate me.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 10:06 am

fujikochan wrote:
They were around during my time, but I can't remember them. I had a lot of books pushed in front of me as a child because my preschool teachers were like, "Whoa, she can read! Make her!" Of course, in first grade, my teacher felt intimidated by my reading knowledge and thus used it as a reason to berate me.

They probably wonder why you have an attitude.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 10:54 am

They look familiar but my recollection is vague.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 12:18 pm

i think if you're a member of amazon.com then, you can look at some of the pages in the book. sometimes amazon let's me use the free preview and other times it doesn't. i'm looking mr. grumpy right now. i think it's the first time you see part of the book then you're not allowed to view it again. oooh...mr. noisy

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Grumpy-Men-Lit ... 0843174773

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 1:11 pm

I remember those very clearly. I had to draw lots of posters with their names in French during the lessons I was in French instead of R.E. I couldn't even draw them very well, and I wrote their names far too small to be read at any distance ... you'd have thought she's learn after the first year, but oh no, I had to draw them again each year. I did them four times in total. But despite that, I still love the Mr Men :D just haven't read them for ages.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 1:41 pm

Oh my goodness, i adore Mr Men and Little miss, i had Little miss Contrary and Little Miss Chatterbox, very appropriate.

Dead Ringers did a great spoof of Mr Men where Mr Happy is on the wrong side of the tracks, genius.