It's not possible to get away from consciousness is it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CloudLayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

If there's another realm/afterlife, in order to experience it you'll need to be conscious in it too. If there's nothingness, we never get to experience that, all we'll ever know is somethingness. This just seems very tiring.

Also it makes me afraid that the last moment before death effectively lasts forever and the last moment before death might not be so pleasant. But hopefully it is.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:32 am

For billions of years I was dead; and for billions more I will be dead again. I don't think it has bothered me all that much

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

My intuitive feeling is that consciousness is not limited to this life, but I won't know until I die. If I die and there is nothing, I'll ever know.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

2 bottles of tequila might do the trick

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

CloudLayer wrote:
If there's another realm/afterlife, in order to experience it you'll need to be conscious in it too. If there's nothingness, we never get to experience that, all we'll ever know is somethingness. This just seems very tiring.

Also it makes me afraid that the last moment before death effectively lasts forever and the last moment before death might not be so pleasant. But hopefully it is.

The entire issue is beyond empirical corroboration or refutation. It is a waste of time to think about it.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 9:16 am

CloudLayer wrote:

Dont understand your logic.

Why would the last of moment of life "last forever"?

It would last a moment (because its "a moment").

Then you would not be conscious -again- forever.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

DMT, Ketamine, Salvia. The world will seem like a whole other place without conscience. You become a bubble.

These chemicals, which obviously change our conscience structure is the process of chemical transformation and our vessel is left to flail. Which means that we're essentially all just particles inside our brain. But don't these particles have to constantly keep alive if they're to be particles? That means that re-incarnation would have to exist because that would mean that we HAVE to take on another life form for our energy to exist.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:17 am

Yah, about the last moment being unpleasant and lasting forever, I think that's what hell and heaven are. I believe that are consciousness is layered, and at the core of us, there's a small still voice that we share with everyone and everything. If someone's been an evil bastard their whole life, they haven't been living in harmony with that inner calm that connects all things. So, when they re-merge with it, there might be an intense dissonance that's extremely unpleasant.

On the other hand, if you do love yourself and love others as yourself and live in harmony with that inner stillness, I don't think death will be so bad. If you die knowing you did everything to reverence the reality you've been apart of and don't have any regrets, I don't think it'll be so bad.

I think consciousness is like a whole dimension of reality, though, and that it'll exist forever. This is just what the universe does, because, "what else would it do?". Were the universe, and its us, and, for better and for worse, we, at this moment, are just one of an infinite number of manifestations in the ocean of eternity.

I think the ego and much of our identities is just icing on the cake that can change and shed away. This is where I agree with atheists. However, I think there's something very primal, at the core of what we are, that will exist forever. If we are somehow imprisoned in our current condition, then we need to figure out a way to free ourselves, and I think the solution is love.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:44 am

Quote:
The entire issue is beyond empirical corroboration or refutation.

Well at least I agree with that. But then we could the same for many things which are readily accepted. Please don't ask me to list them all.

I gather the finest brains on earth are still trying to grasp what consciousness is. An argument is it will never be possible to know as we have to examine consciousnees with consciousness itself. We cannot step outside of it to look.

My own view is that life after death is pretty much out of my cognitive abilties to understand. I do accept it by faith and have personal assurance, but the most important thing to me happens to be is my faith working here and now.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:08 am

Hey CloudLayer, I'm still wondering your reasons for asking the question. I mean somebody might mean this life is just too painfull, what comes next. I can understand that point of view.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:32 am

It's called "death".
How people think consciousness extends after the death of the organ that provides it, that being the brain,
I haven't the faintest.

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
It's called "death".
How people think consciousness extends after the death of the organ that provides it, that being the brain,
I haven't the faintest.

It's mostly a belief, because people don't really know what does happen.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:10 am

I lost consciousness under general aneasthetic once. I experienced nothing for a short spell and do not recall a thing from the time I was out. However, when I came round I couldn't stop laughing. I was aware that time had passed, it was not like the blink of an eye and it was funny.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

Hey valentine, people and I mean scientists and mathmeticians, OK, OK Penrose (did I hear Wheeler again) is a bit suspicious, he's English anyway, are saying that consciousness may be something more. I'd like to read Whitehead about that but getting through one page is not easy.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
It's called "death".
I haven't the faintest.

It's mostly a belief, because people don't really know what does happen.

Yes they do.

You die and then decompose just like every other living thing does.

They just don't want to accept the truth.