Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2012, 9:20 am

My brother is badly allergic to dogs he comes in a terrible rash and welts all over. It takes a long time to recover. Do Hypoallergenic dogs make any difference or should I think of getting another animal or is he going to be allergic to all animals.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

I've never heard of a hypoallerginic dog. I was allergic to animal fur when I was a kid. I would have respiratory problems, no rash. We had a chihuahuah that didn't cause problems for me like the poodle did that we had to get rid of. I grew out of it in my teens.

Does he break out from contact with the dog or just from being near one? Also, how does he do with touching something with the fur on it? Maybe you should ask his doctor about this. Also, does he see an allergist? They could tell you better.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:17 pm

Non shedding dogs and hybrid Labradoodles are said to be easier on allergy sufferers. A dog rolling around in the weeds or grass may trigger allergies, as our dogs were dusty and rolled around in alfalfa which would trigger my allergies though i had no allergy to any animal dander.

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

Quote:
I've never heard of a hypoallerginic dog. I was allergic to animal fur when I was a kid. I would have respiratory problems, no rash. We had a chihuahuah that didn't cause problems for me like the poodle did that we had to get rid of. I grew out of it in my teens.

Does he break out from contact with the dog or just from being near one? Also, how does he do with touching something with the fur on it? Maybe you should ask his doctor about this. Also, does he see an allergist? They could tell you better.

We had a Golden Retriver puppy and had to send him back 4 hours later as Brother had a terrible reaction. He has been to the doctor but not to a allergist. There are certain breeds that are low shedding like Labradoodle which were bred to be used as guide dogs for the blind.

Should I get a different pet instead of a dog.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Sam2001 wrote:
Quote:

We had a Golden Retriver puppy and had to send him back 4 hours later as Brother had a terrible reaction. He has been to the doctor but not to a allergist. There are certain breeds that are low shedding like Labradoodle which were bred to be used as guide dogs for the blind.

Should I get a different pet instead of a dog.

We have two wolf hybrids
One outside cat
A python
A Giant Flemish Rabbit

The python is the easiest of the pets and nobody is allergic to those I don't think. You feed them once a week, a white mouse from the pet store that's about 95 cents. Ours eats two a week now. They need a large aquarium, some pine bark in the bottom of it, a heating pad for the side, a light, stuff to crawl on and in, a water dish, a feeding cage to put them in while you feed them so the don't bite you when you put your hand inside, a small cage to bring the mice home from the pet store in because they chew through cardboard, and thats all.

If it's something furry that you want, you can also get something to keep in a cage, away from him. A ferret, guinea pig, hamster, etc. would be good.

My oldest son has one of those small pigs. They also have lots of other pets though.

The thing about a snake is, they are very portable and you can take them almost anywhere.

How old is your brother and how old are you? I'm assuming that you live together with your parents. What do your parents say about a pet?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

myth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

As someone who is alergic to dogs and yet loves them very much here are my observations:

Shorthaired dogs are the worst for me. They, more than others, will give me hives like crazy. Fluffy softhaired types are probably better but would probably still make me sneeze and choke up. I'm sure a dog known to be hypoalergenic may be even better.

However, the interesting thing is that I get adjusted to a dog that is living in my own house pretty quickly. I've had 5 dogs over the course of my life including the two that I own right now. Right now I have one shorthair and one fluffy-haired and I don't get any kind of reaction from my own dogs but I will still break out in hives when I'm touching someone else's dog. Slightly weird but I have heard that having dogs helps people with allergies to get over them and it really has been true in my case. I was allergic to many things before I had dogs, now I barely ever have an allergic reaction.

I don't think this is ALWAYS the case but I think it is often. It might be worth a try but it isn't going to work if your brother hates the dog anyway and doesn't want ti give it a chance to see if it will help him. I love them so I'm totally willing to go through the initial adjustment and take a bunch of benadryl if needed.

Nothing is absolute.