Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2012, 9:56 pm

my legs are getting extremely brusied... i hit my head to but not as much and mostly slapping it.

my mum has tried contacting pepole who are ment to be helping me, and they just are not listening...

is there anything to protect my legs ?

apparently i finaly found out, my autism diagnosis just says "has autism" apparently. the therpist type youth worker (worked at autistic school for a few year) says she thinks im moderate high functinign autism cos i dont have a "learning disabilty" aperntly, but aparently my autism is quite suvere she say.

i hit my legs when im outside... and pepole just stare and say things about me.. i have "autistic" and a discription of autism writen across my sachel type bag that i wear to help pepole understand it also has writen "please dont stare" on it, pepole dont bother me as much as when i didnt wear it. i shouldnt have to wear it, but its the only way i dont get "juged" as much when im out trying to be independent barley a mile from my house............ which i am unable to go that far on my own raley i am able to now... i keep self injuring when out... and at home to obiously..

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm

nintendofan wrote:
my legs are getting extremely brusied... i hit my head to but not as much and mostly slapping it.

my mum has tried contacting pepole who are ment to be helping me, and they just are not listening...

apparently i finaly found out, my autism diagnosis just says "has autism" apparently. the therpist type youth worker (worked at autistic school for a few year) says she thinks im moderate high functinign autism cos i dont have a "learning disabilty" aperntly, but aparently my autism is quite suvere she say.

i hit my legs when im outside... and pepole just stare and say things about me.. i have "autistic" and a discription of autism writen across my sachel type bag that i wear to help pepole understand it also has writen "please dont stare" on it, pepole dont bother me as much as when i didnt wear it. i shouldnt have to wear it, but its the only way i dont get "juged" as much when im out trying to be independent barley a mile from my house............ which i am unable to go that far on my own raley i am able to now... i keep self injuring when out... and at home to obiously..

I'm sorry, but please put this kind of thing through spell-check. :( You're rambling a little, and it's hard to understand what's going on. Explain what's going on with your legs that you feel you have to hit them.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

She hits her legs instead of her head, which is still hurting herself but better than hitting her head

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm

Alexender wrote:
She hits her legs instead of her head, which is still hurting herself but better than hitting her head

In that case, my advice is to the OP is for her to clench her hands as tight as she can when the urge strikes.

Try interlocking your fingers and just squeezing, or try something that occupies your hands, like drawing or handheld video games. Try stress balls or something, maybe. Or, since you have the backpack, hit that.

AbqAsP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2012, 10:39 pm

I wrap my head in a pillow before I hit it, so that it doesn't end up hurting as much, or so I don't actually hurt myself. I still hit myself while I'm that upset, but after hitting myself about 5 times through the pillow, my hand gives up because it won't do what it's supposed to - hurt. It wears me out very fast.

I can't think of anything for outside of the house, but maybe at home try hitting through a blanket or something?

If you can identify what thing is happening around you right before it happens, then it might be possible to either avoid or have people's help nearby when it happens. ('people's help', I mean: have someone around that will understand and protect you).

I don't think I am trying to just stop myself from doing it, just manage it as best as possible. Once I meet someone that I think can help me learn a different way of expressing emotions physically, then I can work on that. That's not the reason for everyone that does it, though.

I hope I made some sense.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2012, 11:06 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
nintendofan wrote:

I'm sorry, but please put this kind of thing through spell-check. :( You're rambling a little, and it's hard to understand what's going on. Explain what's going on with your legs that you feel you have to hit them.

thats ok i dont mind

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 1:46 am

I wonder if there is any type of sports protective padding type gear that you could wear under your pants to stop it from hurting so much. I'm sure there are lots of things that would work, it's just a matter of what wouldn't look funny under clothing. Maybe go look around in a sporting goods store?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:24 am

well you could also try not hitting you legs

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2012, 2:38 am

thedaywalker ignorance does not help here.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:46 am

Seriously. That's like telling a depressed person, "Well, have you tried just being happy?" :roll:

Have you looked into getting an assistance dog? They can be trained to lean up against you when you're overloaded and that can help. It depends on whether you can afford a dog and whether you like dogs, of course.

What is it about hitting your legs that makes you want to do it? Like--do you like the feeling of smacking something really hard? Would a punching bag help, for example? Do you do it when you get stressed out, or when you're feeling energetic, or when you just feel like moving in that particular way?

I know that soccer players wear shin guards to stop the other players' feet from bruising them when they're trying to get at the ball. Maybe something like that?

I like that you're learning how to get out on your own. A lot of people just kind of give up on it, just because it's hard to learn. But it's totally worth it. Not being stuck in your house adds a lot of possibilities to your life.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2012, 8:29 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I wonder if there is any type of sports protective padding type gear that you could wear under your pants to stop it from hurting so much. I'm sure there are lots of things that would work, it's just a matter of what wouldn't look funny under clothing. Maybe go look around in a sporting goods store?

there isnt a sporting goods shop where i live, i dont wear shorts outside very often cos alot of bruses are visible and pepole just stare :( it is very hot outside somtimes .

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2012, 8:33 am

Callista wrote:
Seriously. That's like telling a depressed person, "Well, have you tried just being happy?" :roll:

Have you looked into getting an assistance dog? They can be trained to lean up against you when you're overloaded and that can help. It depends on whether you can afford a dog and whether you like dogs, of course.

What is it about hitting your legs that makes you want to do it? Like--do you like the feeling of smacking something really hard? Would a punching bag help, for example? Do you do it when you get stressed out, or when you're feeling energetic, or when you just feel like moving in that particular way?

I know that soccer players wear shin guards to stop the other players' feet from bruising them when they're trying to get at the ball. Maybe something like that?

I like that you're learning how to get out on your own. A lot of people just kind of give up on it, just because it's hard to learn. But it's totally worth it. Not being stuck in your house adds a lot of possibilities to your life.

my mum dosnt want any pets in the house (i mean my sister can bring her dog etc, but not a pet owned in the house) so there is no way i could get a dog.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

nintendofan wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

there isnt a sporting goods shop where i live, i dont wear shorts outside very often cos alot of bruses are visible and pepole just stare :( it is very hot outside somtimes .

You could order sparring shin-guards like we use in my Taekwondo class. They fit under your clothes--in fact, they're made to fit underneath the uniforms. You can get the kind without padding on the foot for about twenty dollars online. Or, if there's a martial art's studio nearby, you can ask if they would sell you a pair.

You could also try taking a martial art or a sport to burn off energy and stress. It helped me a lot.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:59 am

When it is hot out you could wear long socks, knee high and shorts (such as soccer, well outside of the US, football socks). That way you could wear shorts and the bruises are not very visible

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Alexender wrote:
When it is hot out you could wear long socks, knee high and shorts (such as soccer, well outside of the US, football socks). That way you could wear shorts and the bruises are not very visible

hmm.. maybe... maybe they might br to hot...

i hit my legs so hard today they started to bleed and my fingers are bruised.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

Worth a try. If it doesn't work, then you can just try something else. It can be a bit intimidating to try something new. I find it's less intimidating if I have plans for both possibilities: A plan for what I'll do if I like it, and a plan for what I'll do if I don't like it.

This seems like the kind of problem you can't solve without experimenting at least a little. You'll probably find some things don't work before you can find some things that do.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com