Tell Me Your Volunteer Work Experiences

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FlyingBalloons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2012, 5:32 pm

Has anyone got fired from a volunteer position for not being a chatty 400 pound cigarette smoking momma? :lol

Everytime I go to my placement at the Salvation Army food pantry the other people rip me to shreds. I complained to the person in charge about being called a "midwitch cuckoo girl". Her response is that i'm different from most people.She told me I need to conform to society or I won't be much use to people. The next week I showed up for work I was called a trouble maker for speaking out against the gossipy "queen bees". Now I think i'm going to get fired for not being a chatty 400 pound momma like the other people.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with their volunteer position ?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

FlyingBalloons wrote:
Has anyone got fired from a volunteer position for not being a chatty 400 pound cigarette smoking momma? :lol

Everytime I go to my placement at the Salvation Army food pantry the other people rip me to shreds. I complained to the person in charge about being called a "midwitch cuckoo girl". Her response is that i'm different from most people.She told me I need to conform to society or I won't be much use to people. The next week I showed up for work I was called a trouble maker for speaking out against the gossipy "queen bees". Now I think i'm going to get fired for not being a chatty 400 pound momma like the other people.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with their volunteer position ?

Don't bother yourself with such a person. She likely fills her place in society well, but on the subjects she spoke to you about, she knows not what she is speaking of.

Perhaps you should volunteer with an organization that attracts a different demographic of people. For example, Habitat for Humanity, or a coastal clean up crew.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

First of all - how can you be "fired"?! :? You're a volunteer! :D

Tell 'em to feck off and don't look back. Spend your time with people who actually value your help.

FlyingBalloons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2012, 6:18 pm

Thanks for your replies. I had a meltdown on Thursday that caused me to run out of the building in tears. I 'm not going back there.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

This place was not a match for you. Definitely look for a different place to volunteer.

I do appreciate what the Salvation Army does with their stores, aid, and shelters, but sometimes people are just not compatible.

modern_nomad
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2012, 7:13 am

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience volunteering. I'm sure there are other organizations that need the skills you can offer. Any organization I've ever volunteered for has been appreciative of its volunteers. You should try to find another organization.