Page 6 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 6:44 am

ruveyn wrote:
iceveela wrote:
I found an article that said that aspies are more likely to be agnostic and atheist than NT's.

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/ ... agnostics/

What do you think?

A hyperlogical Aspie could conceivably fall for the Argument by Design which is the only argument for the existence of a Creator that has the least resemblence to logic and reason. It is an invalid argument, but it is not utter nonsense. No logical person could really take any of the current major religions seriously. They are fairy tales, just-so stories and fiction. They may have a social or political use but they do not hold up logically.

ruveyn

There is also the prime mover god entity, that holds up semi well to logical scrutiny. Some random fringe concepts as well that are not widely believed. But most interesting to me is that the more logical and rational the god belief is, the less impact it has in the understanding of every day life, ie the world we live in. Or so it seems in my experience.

But you are quite right Ruv, there are a number of aspies who are hyperlogical, and that tends to steer them away from many of the mainline belief systems.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2012, 8:17 am

androbot2084 wrote:
According to most evangelical denominations a prosperity gospel is preached. That is that if you pay your tithes God will bless you with superabundance. However these churches have rejected the concept of wealth redistribution according to one's needs which is clearly taught in the Book of Acts. Instead the churches claim that one must depend on God to provide wealth and not depend on people. If that were the case why did the early Church hold all property in common with no one considering any property their own? They don't have an answer to my questions so they say that I have a Demon inside of me that must be cast out.

The demon they say you have inside of you is an allegory. What if the religious didn't believe in god as a deity either? What would all of that mean?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:26 pm

webcam wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
According to most evangelical denominations a prosperity gospel is preached. That is that if you pay your tithes God will bless you with superabundance. However these churches have rejected the concept of wealth redistribution according to one's needs which is clearly taught in the Book of Acts. Instead the churches claim that one must depend on God to provide wealth and not depend on people. If that were the case why did the early Church hold all property in common with no one considering any property their own? They don't have an answer to my questions so they say that I have a Demon inside of me that must be cast out.

The demon they say you have inside of you is an allegory. What if the religious didn't believe in god as a deity either? What would all of that mean?

Knowing evangelicals, they're probably quite literal in believing that androbot is possessed. They actually believe in such things.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

I definitely think we would be more prone to atheism. After all, there isn't really any way to prove any religion is true. I don't follow any religion, but I find taoism's philosophies very true. That does not make me religious, just able to accept another philosophical viewpoint...which raises the question why those with religion can't generally.

The symbolism would also likely be lost on us. I always liked the understandable poetics of Socrates and Plato over the messes that are religious texts...they seem to love using vague and spooky language to obscure reason.

We also think very critically. Most faiths depise that. Faith, by definition, is blind obediance, something we never (or almost never) do.

However, some psychological research has shown that those with faith live longer and are elss prone to mental health issues. I think we just don't diagnose some religious lunatics as "disabled" though, we just call them "gifted." :lol:

Overall I will always be an atheist. This is because I was forced into Christianity as a child, but later saw how hypocritical Christians are in politics. And since religion is the opiate of the masses, it dsturbed me greatly. I didn't want to be like that so I made my own philosophy. Religion is for those that aren't ready to do that.

I know I diverged from the original question, but I had some insights in writing this.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Knowing evangelicals, they're probably quite literal in believing that androbot is possessed. They actually believe in such things.

And they worship the same hypothetical deity as you. Does this ever give you pause?

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And they worship the same hypothetical deity as you. Does this ever give you pause?

ruveyn

Not really, because I'm doing it right. :lol:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 7:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

As am I

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

As am I

Hey, we've got a mutual admiration society going!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

As am I

Hey, we've got a mutual admiration society going!

Ja we really do it's kinda awesome 8)

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2012, 2:23 pm

I don't think that's true. I am a devout catholic and was very spiritual my whole life.
Aspie score 169 of 200 :D