Page 5 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2012, 7:07 pm

Joker wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Joker wrote:

If a society is athiest based then of course they will be willing to get rid of the masses of faith following people that don't fit into the atheist society.

What does "atheist-based" mean to you,
given that atheism is a lack of belief in gods?

I guess in a way it means a lack of belief in god the supernatural and only believeing in things that have proof most of the time

I veiw athesits as arragant because they seem to think their better then people who are religious as a aspie and being a

christian I get mocked for my passion in my faith religion is a personal matter to me and only to me I just hate that fact that

both sides can't seem to find common ground on things like social issues I am a student of my faith their isn't anything that I

don't knwo about it nor am I blind to the evil it has caused but that can be said about anything you believe in I also strongly

dislike fundies because of them they give the religious a bad name by association that's why I can never openly talk about why

I am a christian that follows the gothic christianity which is a secular faith not like the hardline babtists that hate me cause I like

to have sex with men the only reason they say having sex with a man is a sin is because of the pharisees made it against Gods

laws if I have angered you then I am sorry for letting my passion get the better of me that's not who I am.

But Atheism is a mystery to me I would like to know more about it so I can at least be informed when talking about it instead of making judgements that are irrational.

Or you could just give up god and say you have a right to be who you are simply because you exist.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:12 pm

webcam wrote:
Or you could just give up god and say you have a right to be who you are simply because you exist.

Nein I will never forsake my faith or religion I would rather choose death then give up my faith.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

Although I'm an athiest, as long as your religion is leading you down the right path in life, then I'm happy for you that you have your faith. I see no reason to discourage positive and healthy religious beliefs.

Actually, sometimes I wish I were religious myself. It would be nice to believe that there was an afterlife. But I can't make myself believe in things if there is little or no proof.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:24 pm

UnLoser wrote:
Although I'm an athiest, as long as your religion is leading you down the right path in life, then I'm happy for you that you have your faith. I see no reason to discourage positive and healthy religious beliefs.

Actually, sometimes I wish I were religious myself. It would be nice to believe that there was an afterlife. But I can't make myself believe in things if there is little or no proof.

Thank you it does make me happy.

NewlyHuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2012, 2:18 am

Believing is not really a choice. You can decide what interests and information you pursue which will ultimately contribute to your experience and take on the matter, and in what order you absorb the information (what you believe first has the strongest hold), but you cannot control what you actually believe.

I badly wanted to believe in God when I was a child, as everyone seemed to and I thought I must be a very wicked person not to, but I couldn't get past that I found it too illogical.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

Just in case any of you guys skipped the article to resume the long-running debate, here's my favorite part of the author's methodology:

Quote:
We analyzed self-reports of religious beliefs that appeared in postings on the wrongplanet.net website.

Apparently the WP atheists and agnostics have fans. The world is watching! (sort of)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

NewlyHuman wrote:

I badly wanted to believe in God when I was a child, as everyone seemed to and I thought I must be a very wicked person not to, but I couldn't get past that I found it too illogical.

I can see the draw and comfort of organized religion, but I just can't buy into it personally. Some may look to religion for moral guidance, but Aesop's Fables can offer some of the same. I haven't looked into the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali yet, but it is on my to do list.
I did have a child-like faith in Christianity until I hit my teens. I started questioning why during a particularly rough time, and could not hold on to any logical reason to continue. I firmly believe in "question everything", but I do envy others that anchor of certainty-- misguided or not.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:

I can see the draw and comfort of organized religion, but I just can't buy into it personally. Some may look to religion for moral guidance, but Aesop's Fables can offer some of the same. I haven't looked into the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali yet, but it is on my to do list.
I did have a child-like faith in Christianity until I hit my teens. I started questioning why during a particularly rough time, and could not hold on to any logical reason to continue. I firmly believe in "question everything", but I do envy others that anchor of certainty-- misguided or not.

There's nothing that says Christians can't doubt. There have been plenty of times in my life when I've struggled with doubt. Sometimes faith requires to struggle in order to survive.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 5:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:

There's nothing that says Christians can't doubt. There have been plenty of times in my life when I've struggled with doubt. Sometimes faith requires to struggle in order to survive.

The difference is that some people don't "struggle" with their doubt- they embrace it fully, and delve into the reasons for feeling it, and often their beliefs change as a result.

to his Interest."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:23 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:

The difference is that some people don't "struggle" with their doubt- they embrace it fully, and delve into the reasons for feeling it, and often their beliefs change as a result.

Believe it or not, I actually have no problem with that.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

the problem with me being autistic is that Christians may be able to understand why I may be a liberal but most Christians can't in a million years understand why I am a communist. Christians say I have a demon inside of me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:55 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
the problem with me being autistic is that Christians may be able to understand why I may be a liberal but most Christians can't in a million years understand why I am a communist. Christians say I have a demon inside of me.

DEMON!
No, seriously, I'm not about to accuse you of being demonically possessed - as I don't believe in such a thing in the first place. In Latin America, communists can be - and are - devout Christians, as they see a definite parallel between Christ's teachings, and those of Marx.
If I may ask, what sort of denominations do these "Christians" belong to? I have never heard this sort of idiocy being spewed by mainline denominations.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:19 pm

According to most evangelical denominations a prosperity gospel is preached. That is that if you pay your tithes God will bless you with superabundance. However these churches have rejected the concept of wealth redistribution according to one's needs which is clearly taught in the Book of Acts. Instead the churches claim that one must depend on God to provide wealth and not depend on people. If that were the case why did the early Church hold all property in common with no one considering any property their own? They don't have an answer to my questions so they say that I have a Demon inside of me that must be cast out.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:42 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
According to most evangelical denominations a prosperity gospel is preached. That is that if you pay your tithes God will bless you with superabundance. However these churches have rejected the concept of wealth redistribution according to one's needs which is clearly taught in the Book of Acts. Instead the churches claim that one must depend on God to provide wealth and not depend on people. If that were the case why did the early Church hold all property in common with no one considering any property their own? They don't have an answer to my questions so they say that I have a Demon inside of me that must be cast out.

Errrrr! I suspected you had had experiences with evangelicals; particularly those preaching a prosperity gospel.
Trust me, I seriously doubt that you'd get much of that - if any - among mainline denominations.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 5:07 am

iceveela wrote:
I found an article that said that aspies are more likely to be agnostic and atheist than NT's.

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/ ... agnostics/

What do you think?

A hyperlogical Aspie could conceivably fall for the Argument by Design which is the only argument for the existence of a Creator that has the least resemblence to logic and reason. It is an invalid argument, but it is not utter nonsense. No logical person could really take any of the current major religions seriously. They are fairy tales, just-so stories and fiction. They may have a social or political use but they do not hold up logically.

ruveyn

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 6:44 am

ruveyn wrote:
iceveela wrote:
I found an article that said that aspies are more likely to be agnostic and atheist than NT's.

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/ ... agnostics/

What do you think?

A hyperlogical Aspie could conceivably fall for the Argument by Design which is the only argument for the existence of a Creator that has the least resemblence to logic and reason. It is an invalid argument, but it is not utter nonsense. No logical person could really take any of the current major religions seriously. They are fairy tales, just-so stories and fiction. They may have a social or political use but they do not hold up logically.

ruveyn

There is also the prime mover god entity, that holds up semi well to logical scrutiny. Some random fringe concepts as well that are not widely believed. But most interesting to me is that the more logical and rational the god belief is, the less impact it has in the understanding of every day life, ie the world we live in. Or so it seems in my experience.

But you are quite right Ruv, there are a number of aspies who are hyperlogical, and that tends to steer them away from many of the mainline belief systems.