Why do the religious and non religious care what the other b

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

Why do the religious and non religious care what the other believes?

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:48 pm

Joker wrote:

People's beliefs affect their actions. In the US- voting affects policy. Currently a self proclaimed atheist could not get elected based on current public misperceptions. In the US atheists have faced discrimination of many kinds.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

People's beliefs affect their actions. In the US- voting affects policy. Currently a self proclaimed atheist could not get elected based on current public misperceptions. In the US atheists have faced discrimination of many kinds.

The religious face discrimination as well but not in a political since they do in a social since.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

The religious face discrimination as well but not in a political since they do in a social since.

It is hard to see how since the overwhelming majority is religious.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:14 am

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

Statistics say that the majority of thr planet doesn't believe in God.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

welcome to your new thread. it is kind of a different topic than was being discussed in Alexender's thread, so i welcome you to talk about it here (or not).

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:07 am

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

Statistics say that the majority of thr planet doesn't believe in God.

That might partially explain why atheists often seem to be in the majority on these web forums. Those atheists who live in the US can find some source of rationality in the web since daily life (everything other than the web) in this country is dominated by the majority who are theists.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

That's true but not all thesits believe in a after life all though I have a lot in common with atheists we both face oppression for what we believe in religion is a personal part of me just got to keep my passion under control instead of getting so offended easy I have a bit of a tempter.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

hyperlexian wrote:
welcome to your new thread. it is kind of a different topic than was being discussed in Alexender's thread, so i welcome you to talk about it here (or not).

Thank you for that I hope nothing get's to heated in this thread from either side.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:21 am

Joker wrote:
That's true but not all thesits believe in a after life all though I have a lot in common with atheists we both face oppression for what we believe in religion is a personal part of me just got to keep my passion under control instead of getting so offended easy I have a bit of a tempter.

I think I understand what you mean. There are so many differing religious beliefs, even among Protestant denominations here in the US. One thing I am sure we agree on is opposing religious bigotry against Gay people. Opposition to Gay marriage is (as far as I can tell) exclusively by certain religious organizations and their members.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:26 am

I am for gay marriage if you look at the history of how being gay was labeled a sin was by the pharisees a lot of methodists support the gay community plus Jesus never preached against them nor did he even bring homosexuality up in the first place and yes we can both agree on that.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:50 am

One thing atheists and Gay people have in common is that their own families are often a source of being ostracized.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:51 am

That is true really it's a issue with mine they don't understand that I didn't choose to be born bigender ignorance is bliss I guess :jester:

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:43 am

Joker wrote:
That is true really it's a issue with mine they don't understand that I didn't choose to be born bigender ignorance is bliss I guess :jester:

Give them time. Good luck to you. I haven't told anyone in my family about my realization that I am an atheist. I suppose it would be more feasible for me to never tell them than it would be for you.

By the way, I just realized something. In an earlier post, I said I was a "bigender." I was responding to your earlier post when you mentioned the word. I thought you were referring to Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" which had characters who fought a war over which end of the egg should be broken to eat a soft boiled egg. They were either big-enders or small-enders. I was joking about that. I would never joke about your sexual identity. My earlier post might have sounded pretty weird. I think I will edit that post so no one gets the wrong idea. I actually did not know the word bigender! I just looked it up on Urban Dictionary! Thanks for leading me to learn a new word.

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2012, 4:15 am

You know, I honestly didn't catch any flak from my semi-religious parents about being an atheist.

The daily beatings at school and on the bus, on the other hand, were an unrighteous b****.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 5:59 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:
You know, I honestly didn't catch any flak from my semi-religious parents about being an atheist.

The daily beatings at school and on the bus, on the other hand, were an unrighteous b****.

Let me guess. The ones who beat you were followers of the guy who said to turn the other cheek rather than hurt anyone.