Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 4:49 pm

TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
I like all those things aspie would make good leaders of a country.

I would like to be able to vote for a candidate who publicly announces that he favors reason instead of faith. In other words, an atheist. In the US, currently, such a candidate could not be elected president. Fundies (like GW Bush) already have been.

I think you'd be surprised. I think a person with the "right" qualities could be elected on the basis that there are a lot more atheists than you think and there are probably quite a few "Sunday-Catholics" and other lapsed people who'd vote policy over faith. I have to believe that, otherwise I might as well just walk around a dark street in Florida wearing a hoodie and carrying skittles.

I wouldn't be surprised if president Obama turned out to be a non-believer. I don't blame him for keeping that to himself.

I think it is only a matter of time before a presidential candidate will be elected as a public non-believer.

I'm fairly sure Al Gore was, but then he makes Mitt Romney look like James Dean.

That sounds right. I will have to research what someone earlier said about Lincoln being an atheist.

I am always nervous having someone in the White House (with the codes for nuclear weapons) who believes that Armageddon is a good thing, since it leads to the Rapture, etc.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

I would like to be able to vote for a candidate who publicly announces that he favors reason instead of faith. In other words, an atheist. In the US, currently, such a candidate could not be elected president. Fundies (like GW Bush) already have been.

I think you'd be surprised. I think a person with the "right" qualities could be elected on the basis that there are a lot more atheists than you think and there are probably quite a few "Sunday-Catholics" and other lapsed people who'd vote policy over faith. I have to believe that, otherwise I might as well just walk around a dark street in Florida wearing a hoodie and carrying skittles.

I wouldn't be surprised if president Obama turned out to be a non-believer. I don't blame him for keeping that to himself.

I think it is only a matter of time before a presidential candidate will be elected as a public non-believer.

I'm fairly sure Al Gore was, but then he makes Mitt Romney look like James Dean.

That sounds right. I will have to research what someone earlier said about Lincoln being an atheist.

I am always nervous having someone in the White House (with the codes for nuclear weapons) who believes that Armageddon is a good thing, since it leads to the Rapture, etc.

I did I was watching something on the history channel that was talking about him secrelty being a atheist in his personal life he never stated his religious views pubilcy like most us presidents

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

I did I was watching something on the history channel that was talking about him secrelty being a atheist in his personal life he never stated his religious views pubilcy like most us presidents

One thing is certain. Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. Many of the founding fathers of the US were Deists who believe that a god created the universe, but then allowed the rest to happen on its own. I think I read that Jefferson started as a Deist but later became an atheist, although not a public one. He did disclose the fact in his letters.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

One thing is certain. Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. Many of the founding fathers of the US were Deists who believe that a god created the universe, but then allowed the rest to happen on its own. I think I read that Jefferson started as a Deist but later became an atheist, although not a public one. He did disclose the fact in his letters.

Yes Thomas Jefferson was a atheist I also find it werid when the two switch places like when a religious person become a atheist and a atheist finds religion it's so confusing to me.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

Yes Thomas Jefferson was a atheist I also find it werid when the two switch places like when a religious person become a atheist and a atheist finds religion it's so confusing to me.

The whole question would baffle me if it weren't for "faith." Faith allows people to get around logic and evidence. It allows people to believe things that are more pleasant and convenient rather than going wherever the evidence leads.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

The whole question would baffle me if it weren't for "faith." Faith allows people to get around logic and evidence. It allows people to believe things that are more pleasant and convenient rather than going wherever the evidence leads.

Some people believe in God with out having faith it does happen.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

I just thought of another reason to address the thread topic question. Altruism. Both sides believe they might improve society and individual's lives if more people thought as they did.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:06 pm

Rocky wrote:
I just thought of another reason to address the thread topic question. Altruism. Both sides believe they might improve society and individual's lives if more people thought as they did.

True but dont you agree that it makes life fun having conflict of interests and having so many diffrent points of views on thing I no I do life would be boring if their was no conflict or diversity.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

I don't want to be insulting to anyone, but the only way I can imagine belief in the god of the Bible other than faith, would be a lack of knowledge, a lack of logic, or both. Indoctrination from an early age, and fear of hell also helps, but is probably not enough. Behaving as if you believe in this society has many benefits, but actually believing requires faith in most cases.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
TM wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:

I don't want to be insulting to anyone, but the only way I can imagine belief in the god of the Bible other than faith, would be a lack of knowledge, a lack of logic, or both. Indoctrination from an early age, and fear of hell also helps, but is probably not enough. Behaving as if you believe in this society has many benefits, but actually believing requires faith in most cases.

I don't find that insulting I have faith I believe in something bigger then myself I have been that way since I could talk but their are a small group of secualr christians in the world.