Which experience was better, high school or college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Was College better than High School
College 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
High School 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
I didn't go to college. 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
They were about the same. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

SuperMario
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2012, 7:54 am

Right now, I am a senior in high school. I only have just over 2 months left of school. I am looking forward to college, but lately I have been wondering if I am going to miss the high school era of my life. Do Aspies generally have a better experience in high school or college? Thank you in advance.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:02 am

I loved high school- it was so wonderful, without a doubt, compared to college.

Predictable schedule, every single weekday.
I lived at home with my parents, who held me accountable for getting up and going to school.
I was in classes with the same small group of people for years and years and years, so I was at least comfortable around them.
I was a top-notch student, with straight A's
I joined some groups that were dedicated to my interests.
I had a boyfriend who basically lived at my house, who my parents adored.
Was wonderful.

In college, I fell apart.
Classes on alternating days,
struggling to live on my own- laundry, dishes, cooking, etc
learning to drive in a huge city
never having enough money to eat or for gas to get to school,
huge, 500+ class sizes where the teacher didn't know anyone's name
everyone already seemed to know each other, or made friends quickly
everyone seemed to talk to one another, except no one talked to me
I felt invisible
I didn't know how to truly study because high school had never required the slightest bit of effort
I ended up flunking out of my 4 year college because I couldn't stand going to class and being in huge crowds of people with no friends
my sleep "disorder" (I'm nocturnal) which my parents had never allowed to manifest caused me to be too exhausted in the mornings to make it to class

I'm back in school at a community college now, but still face the same issues- a lack of accountability that living with one's parents provides, and incredible social isolation. There are entire months where no one speaks to me, and I don't speak to anyone. My classes are boring as all get-out. I haven't learned anything I didn't already know in two years.

to his Interest."

Milon_Augustus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

High school was a much better experience for me. I was in the "lower level" classes and the teachers were very lenient and worked with you when you had trouble. The teachers I had were very friendly and great to get along with. My history, Geometry, and science teacher were the best! :) I miss them from time to time.

I had more friends in HS than I do in college right now. It was practically the same people in all of my classrooms for those four years, and I enjoyed all of their company. Most my friends in HS I knew since Elementary or Junior High. It was a great feeling being able to grow up and advance together, but in college, they're no where to be found. I haven't talked to most of them years because I would only see them in school.

Overall, I wish I could relive the high school years due to having a better time. Junior year was my favorite. Most of the friends I had, I don't even know where they are right now.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

College classes are totally different; not every professor expects you to go to class. This is nice if you don't learn as well listening to lectures. I loved teaching myself and reading the material given. I still passed with mostly A's despite not going to class all the time. In high school, it was by law mandatory to go to class and I didn't like that. It was sooooo incredibly boring, and all I wanted to do was daydream about other things. Not only that, I knew I could still pass with a B or C without studying. In college, this philosophy doesn't really work.

I put more pressue on my studies in college than I did in high school. There was way more pressure to fit in in high school, and not as much in college. It was nice to know a few people in each college class, since some professors like to do a few group activities throughout the semester. Even then, it was normal to not know or want to know the people you work with. I felt that college was way more individualistic, whereas learning and experiences in high school were based on the group of people one talked to.

Additionally, if you go to college, you'll see an array of ages. I will say this. I talked to introverts in college, and we decided people were nicer and more accepting of us in high school. My theory is that people made more of an effort to reach out to introverts in high school, since high school was smaller and whatnot. In college, some people are strictly there to learn and not necesssarily make friends. You might encounter not as many people trying to make small talk with you, but it doesn't mean that they'll ignore you if you make the effort to talk to them. Most will know nothing about you, and this can be good and bad. You can create the identity you want, and not the identity that was given to you by peers and teachers in high school.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

SuperMario wrote:
Right now, I am a senior in high school. I only have just over 2 months left of school. I am looking forward to college, but lately I have been wondering if I am going to miss the high school era of my life. Do Aspies generally have a better experience in high school or college? Thank you in advance.

Odd seeing the people who said high school is better.

I figured college would be a lot easier.

Anyways, I'm a high school sophomore and trying to figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong. Am I not giving people enough space? Am I missing out on some important social event?