Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
I was going to vote "atheist," but then saw the "agnostic" choice. I am both. Most atheists are both. Even Richard Dawkins says he is both. Atheism refers to what you believe. Agnosticism refers to what can be known. Many people are unaware of this difference.

Thanks for explaining it to me now it makes more since also if most of them are both then their is a slight 50% chance that they could one day become religious?

To answer your question, I would say that the only way that most Agnostic Atheists would become religious (or even just believers) would be compelling evidence, like an appearance in person visible to everyone of a god. If the god of the Bible exists, and is all powerful, he could do this. I know that religions say that there are reasons that he would not do this. This seems suspiciously convenient to me.

By doing that though it would contridict free will God to us doesn't force anyone to believe in him he lets you choose and yes it is a suspicious beleif but if you was God would you really want to show yourself even if he did people would stop choose not to worship him.

If the god of the Bible chose to make his existence known, people could still choose not to worship him. Based on some of the things (like mass murder) he was supposed to have done according to the Bible, many would choose not to. Some people would go through the motions hoping to avoid hell, but if this god is all knowing, he would see through that.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:37 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Bun wrote:
You seem like a big Dawkins fan, Rocky. :P

Just saying it because you're quoting him almost word-for-word.

I am a big Dawkins fan, but I wasn't aware that I was quoting him. I did read "The God Delusion." I was impressed by his knowledge, clarity, and logic. I mentioned him because he is one of the better known atheists.

To bad he never said anything bad about Stalin when he was asked what did they think about him being atheists and having so many people killed.

IDK, saying Stalin was bad is sort of an understatement.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

Bun wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Bun wrote:

I am a big Dawkins fan, but I wasn't aware that I was quoting him. I did read "The God Delusion." I was impressed by his knowledge, clarity, and logic. I mentioned him because he is one of the better known atheists.

To bad he never said anything bad about Stalin when he was asked what did they think about him being atheists and having so many people killed.

IDK, saying Stalin was bad is sort of an understatement.

I would say evil then but they asked hiim that and he gave a weird answer but im not saying stalin did it in the name of atheism im saying that Dawkins thinks atheists dont kill and that the religious do he is a bit of a fallacy at times.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

It's just that I think everyone knows it, maybe you wanted to be spoon-fed with the answer. Is there a link to the question/answer?

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Bun wrote:

Dawkins knows that anything he says publicly can be misused by Theists. He is therefore careful about what he says or does not say. Can you give us a link to the interview in question? Preferably a YouTube video.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Bun wrote:

Dawkins knows that anything he says publicly can be misused by Theists. He is therefore careful about what he says or does not say. Can you give us a link to the interview in question? Preferably a YouTube video.

Here is a quote I found on a website a agnostic friend sent me.

A major atheist (Richard Dawkins, I believe) was interviewed not long ago on a national station. During the interview, he was asked to justify the evils perpetrated on tens of millions by the atheist leader, Stalin. The atheist’s response was that the connection between Stalin’s atheism and his great crimes is unfounded. Stalin, he said, had mustaches; could you not use the same logic, he added, and conclude that he killed people because he had mustaches?

http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/atheist_crimes.htm

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:54 pm

Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Bun wrote:

Here is a quote I found on a website a agnostic friend sent me.

A major atheist (Richard Dawkins, I believe) was interviewed not long ago on a national station. During the interview, he was asked to justify the evils perpetrated on tens of millions by the atheist leader, Stalin. The atheist’s response was that the connection between Stalin’s atheism and his great crimes is unfounded. Stalin, he said, had mustaches; could you not use the same logic, he added, and conclude that he killed people because he had mustaches?

http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/atheist_crimes.htm

Any single interview might not include his statement that Stalin did terrible things, because Dawkins was focused on the point in question. My first search on YouTube of "Dawkins and Stalin" came up with this clip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_yfXurm_-w[/youtube]

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

I swear I just thought of the same argument, re: the moustache. :lol: 8O

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

Joker wrote:
Didn't you have this point demolished earlier on the other thread?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

It's just wierd to me how no one can believe in something that is bigger then themselfs weather God created the universe or so otehr divine being did I mean what kind of single cell organism could hape a whole planet and animals people ect and not only that but all the other planets to how did they form?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

I'm an ex-theist. So's Dawkins, actually. I think a lot of atheists do understand the compelling sides to religion, more than they're given credit for.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

Bun wrote:
I'm an ex-theist. So's Dawkins, actually. I think a lot of atheists do understand the compelling sides to religion, more than they're given credit for.

I truly agree with you on that I will give you a example on a atheist on wrong planet with great deal of knowledge on religion and that is Lecks never met some one who knew so much about religion and he isnt even religious but then again I know religious people who understand a thing or two about atheism

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

Bun wrote:

I agree that there are good things that result from many religions. Some people would not act morally without the fear of hell, for example. I hope those people stay religious. Ideally, they would acquire ethics when they left their religion.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:20 pm

I'm not religious because I fear hell I was raised religious and a lot of good has come out of my life because of my religion and I act morally good because it is the right thing to do having good morals is something I strive for.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

Joker wrote:
I'm not religious because I fear hell I was raised religious and a lot of good has come out of my life because of my religion and I act morally good because it is the right thing to do having good morals is something I strive for.

I know that many religious people are moral because it is the right thing to do.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by Rocky on 02 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.