Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

JeichanHaka wrote:
You could also borrow cds from a friend and copy the music onto your computer, though this, I believe, is still technically illegal, but is less likely to be investigated compared to illegal downloading.

Yes, it is illegal. The only reason it is not investigated or prosecuted is because it is nigh to impossible to do so, unless it is a bulk pirating operation (if you are old enough to remember the days of pirated tapes and CD's sold in convenience stores all over the country ~ it's probably still happening with CD's, but I haven't paid much attention since the early Nineties). Private copying between friends and acquaintances is hard and too expensive to prosecute. Nailing illegal downloaders is much easier if the record companies can manage to get court orders to force file hosting companies to turn over their user lists and downloading databases.

As of sometime last year though, the biggest "hawks" after private illegal downloaders announced they would cease going after the downloaders (presumably to seek alternate ways of dealing with the problem) presumably because of the vast amounts of bad press implying they were going after the very fans of their music.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 5:37 pm

Just use Pandora. It's free, it's legal, and the RIAA can't sue you for it.