Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

Just wondering.

ThatKidInTheCorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Cats are actually a sort of mascot animal for ASD, mainly because of their dislike for socializing and aloofness.

I'm not sure about dogs. But in a way, all cats have Autism/Asperger's Syndrome. XD

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

Mice can have behaviours that are atypical for their species and that are associated with autistic behaviours in humans (for scientific purposes).

Cats can have depression and anxiety disorders such as OCD to start with. Not sure on what official sources say about mental retardation/intellectual disability but given the fact that there are kitties that happened to be deprived of oxygen at birth and who end up acting weird and seemingly intellectually impaired for all their life, I guess they can have that too.

I think cats showing pronounced "autistic" behaviours (if those behaviours go way beyond the typical behaviours of cats) isn't that much of a stretch. The cause in a cats might be different from what causes such behaviours in people however.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

No, because I say so.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:07 am

Dont all cats have Aspergers? <meow> I tend to get along with cats very well and can relate furthermore like cats I like to run on all fours upstairs and am more active at night than in the day.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 7:28 am

I find that cats normally present some traits that in humans are considered autistic, so I guess it'd be hard to diagnose...

Eg.
Cats are more strongly dominated by their inner world than the desire to conform to a group.
Cats hate eye contact.
Cats form fluid hierarchies.
Cats are more dominated by logic than by the need to belong.

anomy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2012, 9:18 am

Cats can also easily win staring contests! This would be deemed inappropriate eye contact in the NT world.

Cats also seem to have similar sensory issues!

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2012, 9:27 am

One of our cats does indeed seem to have a feline version of AS. He's very smart, but completely lacks social skills. Young kittens like him at first, but by 18 months, get tired of him. He's 7 years old now, and has improved with age. It helps that he doesn't take rejection personally, and his humans love him.

He also has weird eating habits -- he seems to like anything but his kibbles.

I seriously doubt that AS or autism in general is specific to humans

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

If my cats could speak, they'd say "I don't see what it is with people rejecting you as weird, to me you seem perfectly normal!" Hehe.