Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

willzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... .html?_r=2

Editorial makes a good point: The DSM-IV and IV+ definition is like a needle in a haystack.

Anyone who is slightly nerdy can fit it...

But in reality I think there needs to be an assumption that those that truly fit the definition are those that have functioning() deficits that cause problems. I mean if you can socialize in your own "interests" then there is a broad array of people who fit that.

I think society is evolving as we speak...

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

I do think that Asperger's is blown way out of proportion, and like you said, just identifies kids that are "nerdy".

But I think this brings up another question. Should we shelter people that want to learn and be an outstanding member of society? Are there any stats that back up the notion that nerds are more valuable?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

This is pretty old, and the guy who wrote this doesn't seem to realize that some people are actually impaired more than just socially. IE, some people have seizures, migraines, sensory issues, OCD [not just minor irritations, but actual OCD], etc...

He assumes that because he was misdiagnosed, most people are misdiagnosed. Yeah, some people are misdiagnosed. Most people with an AS diagnosis have at least two seizures before they reach their twenties. :I

Honestly, I don't consider AS in and of itself to be a disorder...but the friggin' migraines and the seizures I used to get sucked.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

He also assumes he was misdiagnosed simply based on the fact that he improved.

Uh, isn't that a KNOWN possibility?

If you look at all the links on the page, the NYT seems to be on a mini crusade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... ef=opinion

Where's the balance? Nobody is balanced at all anymore.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 12:57 am

MrXxx wrote:
He also assumes he was misdiagnosed simply based on the fact that he improved.

Uh, isn't that a KNOWN possibility?

If you look at all the links on the page, the NYT seems to be on a mini crusade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/opini ... ef=opinion

Where's the balance? Nobody is balanced at all anymore.

There is actual evidence that PDD NOS, may have been overdiagnosed as a disorder from 1994 to 2000, because of an editorial mistake that allowed some individuals to get diagnosed, with only RRB's, but in the US, there aren't even any reliable statistics on how many people have Aspergers. The only common estimate I have been able to find is 1 in 250. The CDC doesn't even provide a breakdown, in their prevalence studies.

I don't give either article much credibility, because they both base their opinions on subjective information rather than real statistics. They are both from the Opinion page of the New York Times, so that is not too suprising except for the fact that the second opinion was provided by a psychiatrist, that one would think, would have done more homework before expressing an opinion.

One identified issue though with a current Aspergers diagnosis is that Hans Aspergers described the disorder of one where non-verbal communication was impaired; this is only a mandatory requirement for a diagnosis using the Gilberg diagnostic guidelines. Neither the DSMV or ICD10 make it a mandatory requirement. The DSMV makes that mandatory; that doesn't seem too unreasonable, considering the history of the disorder.

More worrisome in the DSMV is that a significant impairment in developing and maintaining peer appropriate friendships is a mandatory requirement for an ASD. Regardless of inherent communication difficulties, this is highly dependent on the demographic one is exposed to.

It definitely is a problem reported by some that come to this site, but it doesn't appear to be an actual impairment for some per self reports.

As far as balance goes, it appears that ASAN, the Autism Society of America, and Autism Speaks are all working to ensure that the DSMV is modified to ensure that the majority of individuals with Aspergers do not lose their diagnosis

Autism Speaks is the big gun of the three that can make this happen with research they are currently sponsoring to replicate the findings recently published in the controversial study by Volkmar that suggest that 75% of individuals with Aspergers will lose their diagnosis, with the current revision of the DSMV.

If Autism Speaks can replicate that study, it is likely that the DSMV will make some type of compromise; potentially 2 out 3 of the Social/communication criteria instead of 3 out 3. I have seen at least one small study that shows inclusion of a group of individuals moving from 50% to close to 100% with this one change.

If it stays as it is, an individual with 2 or 3 long term friendships might not be able meet criteria for a diagnosis upon the use of the strict definition of that criteria, however if they met the other two they could meet criteria for Social Communication disorder. Without impairments with non-verbal communication it's not clear what an individual could be diagnosed with.

As far as balance goes, there will likely be many articles in the opinion section of the New York times, in the next year in regard to diagnosis and the DSMV; interestingly enough Autism Speaks may provide some balance on the issue, considered the influence the organization has in New York City. Representatives from ASAN and the Autism Society of America will also likely provide opinions.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

Under DSMV a good portion of those with Asperger's will be left once again without a diagnosis. For those of us like myself who are able to form friendships, and communicate effectively will be left out. I have an extremely mild case to the point where my main issues are emotional more than anything else. I can maintain relationships with people, I have no sensory issues, I don't have a special interest that dominates my life or conversations, I don't stim or do any strange body motions. To the average person I appear quite normal, just eccentric that's all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:56 am

What's with the assumption that AS and nerdy are the same thing....I have AS but I think I've never really fit any sort of nerdy sterotype I've always fit the outcast that no one really likes sterotype......well growing up now its not quite to that extent anymore. But yeah it had nothing to do with seeming like a nerd it had to do with being weird.........hell even the 'nerdy' kids didn't like me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

That article was pretty inaccurate if you ask me as I have seen the DSM criteria and it does not look like something any nerdy kid would fit into...in fact most of them probably don't have enough symptoms. Sounds like the authors just bitter because he thought he had a disorder turned out not to and wants everyone else with AS to know they're just a nerd and don't really have any impairments which is a bit of an assumptoin.