Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JHKyle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2012, 8:57 am

i really want to do this. i have both a BA and M.Ed, and yet i am extremely nervous about mentioning that I have it. i only learned about my AS three years ago, and I've only now started to come to accept it in myself. so i don't know how I should talk about it. or if i should talk about it.

any AS folk out there work in the field of education with AS kids?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

My personal feeling is that personal medical and financial info should be dispensed to others on a need to know basis. If they don't need to know, don't tell.

enso
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

I do not consider AS as a job impacting issue. At least no more then personality in the job place might be. Your recent diagnosis does not change anything about you. You knew you had trouble with social interaction before you started your degree in education and nothing has changed since then, or if it has it is likely for the better. I would leave AS off the table when looking for work. Just go on and put your best side forward and work on overcoming any weaknesses you may have like you did before you were diagnosed. Bringing AS to the employer is only going to create undue prejudices with those who do not understand it. You are who you are and employers will decide to hire you on your skills and how you interview.

One a personal note I found over the years that I always had a far easier time working with kids (especially under 14) then I do working with adults. I have no idea why but its made me wonder recently if I should go into some sort of work teaching. I never had a bunch of kids create anxiety like only 1 adult can do to me in any formal situation. I think its the informal-ness of kids that is what I like. What bothers me is constantly being judged by anyone I need. Maybe I would have had an easier time teaching 5th grade science then working in project management for the communication industry.