For those who have/have had jobs in computer programming...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Indi26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

How did you obtain the necessary education? Right now I am a 22yo female aspie who has found she has some talent with computer programming, but isn't sure if a four year degree is in the cards. I'm in a four year university now with a non-computer major and not doing so awesome, so I wanted to explore my options hear from people with similar issues on how they managed. Did you have on the job training? Two year technical degree? Four year degree and then grad school? Some combination? Any and all replies are highly appreciated.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

Here in the UK its very possible to get jobs in software engineering without a degree in the subject. A lot of companies are just looking for people who have good problem solving skills, and are willing to train you on the job.

My advice is - if you want to work in programming then start teaching yourself and write code in your own free time. If you have examples of good programs you have written to show at interviews, it will impress potential employers a HUGE amount.

I don't think I can give any more specific advice than this, as it sounds from your post that you are not in the UK.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

I was in the computer software business since 1959 till I retired in 2001. When I started there were no computer science courses given in any American college or university. "Computer Science" in those days was considered a sub specialty of electrical engineering or applied mathematics. So all my education was OJT.

ruveyn

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

I was actually in Ophthalmology for 20 years first. During that time I read everything I could about computers and programming.
I bought my first computer and jumped right in to programming. I would teach my self how to do things in several languages.

I focused on graphics, database design, user interfaces and statistical analysis. I then decide to start my own consulting business and did a few odd jobs for some folks.

I then landed a job at a large health care facility in Ophthalmology and began to design applications to better manage the practice.

People in the IS department took notice of my work and when an opening came up I applied and got it. Now another 20 years later I'm a senior programmer and the only member in my group without a formal degree in computers but yet am a team leader.

Such is the power of being Aspie and finding one of those interests that become a compulsion that has never stopped.

NewlyHuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2012, 2:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I was in the computer software business since 1959 till I retired in 2001. When I started there were no computer science courses given in any American college or university. "Computer Science" in those days was considered a sub specialty of electrical engineering or applied mathematics. So all my education was OJT.

ruveyn

Indeed. My dad originally got into computer engineering with the original wave through having some experience with diesel engines in the merchant marines...

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

I'd stick with your non-computing degree, then do a masters computer science conversion course. You can then look for programming work in your undergrad field. That will be far more useful to an employer.

e.g. an accounting major with programming skills, is much more useful than a computer science graduate.

Jason