Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:29 am

I've been contemplating about this a lot lately. I show a lot of traits for AS, but some of them are quite mild compared to a lot of people here on WP. I know that autism is a spectrum disorder, but I'm afraid of wasting hundreds of dollars just to be told, "Oh, turns out you don't have Aspergers."

A diagnosis might have been more helpful when I was a little kid, and the condition was more noticable back then. I constantly got into fights and arguments with my mother over the labels on my clothing. I had very exaggerated facial expressions. I would rarely talk; never during preschool and around strangers. The reason why I didn't talk wasn't because I was shy. I mean, it was part of the reason on several occasions, but I just didn't understand WHY I had to talk and socialize. I was (and mostly still am) content with my own thoughts and reverie. I spent a lot of my time reading non-fiction books on my special interests, yet I was completely clueless when it came to expressions (mostly slang) that people used and was sometimes shunned simply because I did not know. And apparently to my parents, I constantly twirled and chewed on my hair.

Now, I avoid wearing certain clothes because the texture or the labels bother me. I can't keep eye contact. I'm still hopelessly lost in my special interests. I find it hard to fake/exaggerate facial expressions like I once could. I have also been told that I should smile more often several times before, and people assume I'm upset when I'm just lost in my thoughts, perfectly content. I sometimes will take things literally and/or too seriously, and a lot of people ask me, "Jeez, why can't you take a joke?" I have certain routines I have to follow otherwise I will get upset. And when I interact and socialize with friends, I don't have I problem if we're just fooling around, debating something, or if they are actually interested in my ramblings, but when the conversation turns to other things, I find myself not knowing what to say. Instead I just sit in the background and pretend I'm having a great time.

For some reason, I doubt that I have AS, but when I list down all my symptoms, I can't help but think, "Can it be any more obvious?" The fear of being told that I do not have it by a professional keeps me from trying harder to seek a diagnosis.

Even if I do get a diagnosis, I don't really know how it would benefit me. What exactly comes with a diagnosis and in what ways would it help?

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 3:01 am

Have your mom or dad write a note to the principal with her signature and date.

All it needs to say is:

"I request psychological testing of my daughter for special education services."

At that point, the school must investigate the statement. Once they get the letter, they will not refuse for liability reasons. They may try to talk your parent out of doing testing. Yet, they will not refuse.

Should they fail to test you within 30 days, then have your parent call up the state department of education. The state will come down on your school district like a ton of bricks.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

I'm confused. So I get diagnosed through the school? And special education services? I don't think I need that. :huh:

New-Yorker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

Sempiternal wrote:
I know that autism is a spectrum disorder, but I'm afraid of wasting hundreds of dollars just to be told, "Oh, turns out you don't have Aspergers."

And if they tell you: "Congratulations! You're an Aspie!", would that make those hundreds of dollars any less wasted? It's all about perception. If, for some reason, you need to know for sure whether you have AS or not, then it might be worth it. But if you only want "explanation" to the problems you've been having with your personality, then I don't think it's worth it, because you're already aware of the existance of such a phenomenon (AS) and the possibility of you having it.

Sempiternal wrote:
Even if I do get a diagnosis, I don't really know how it would benefit me. What exactly comes with a diagnosis and in what ways would it help?

I have the same issue. Yes, at times I feel curious about knowing whether my problems are indeed due to AS. But the amount it costs to diagnose is just too big to be worth it. Also, some people report that the AS diagnosis prevets them from being accepted where they wanted. After all, you don't want to be counted as "disabled" if that would impede your career advancement. On the other hand, some people actually benefit from this diagnosis and receive Social Security benefits. But is that your goal?..

As far as I'm concerned, it's also a matter of self-esteem. Without being diagnosed, I'm giving myself the benefit of doubt. If someone asks me about my health, I'm not lying by saying that I don't have any medical issues. On a date with a girl I also manage to try my best to present myself as a regular guy with no mental issues, and I don't feel guilty about it. Remember: honesty is one of the most typical traits of people with ASD. And whether I really have AS or not, I do have this honesty issue, which makes me feel more comfortable not even seeking the diagnosis. Because otherwise I would feel I'm lying when claiming the lack of any medical or mental issues.

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Sempiternal wrote:
I'm confused. So I get diagnosed through the school? And special education services? I don't think I need that. :huh:

Most schools don't test for Asperger's. At least where I live, they are required to test for learning disabilities, but most wouldn't be able to test for Asperger's. They might refer you to a psychologist.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

The school psychologist has the ability to test for Asperger's. Schools in the United States are not legally required to test for Asperger's if your parent is suspicious. However, if you have it and the school fails to detect it, then the school opens itself up to the possibility of a lawsuit from your parents and/or sanctions from the state. Thus, the school will test you as a practical matter. Once you have the diagnosis, you will qualify for extra services. For example, if you have sound sensitivities, require counseling, have behavior issues, or have socialization problems then the school is required to help you with these issues.

The diagnosis of Asperger's could also help you with financial aid should you attend university.

The below two statements are not even remotely controversial in public education in the United States.

1. Self-diagnosis at the age of 14 is too risky.
2. Your parents and school needs to know about your concerns.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

TimpaniRol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2012, 8:44 am

many many people, especially women are misdiagnosed by professionals (with other things tike social anxiety disorder, depression, ocd, etc..) before they received the diagnosis that is accurate. it is possible they may diagnos you with something that doesn't "feel right" simply because they lack experience with aspergers cases.

I would strongly recommend the book "Aspergirls" by Rudy Simone. It's on amazon for $11. Lend it to your mom and councelor after you read it.

If you are in school, isn't this a free service??

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

New-Yorker wrote:
And if they tell you: "Congratulations! You're an Aspie!", would that make those hundreds of dollars any less wasted? It's all about perception. If, for some reason, you need to know for sure whether you have AS or not, then it might be worth it. But if you only want "explanation" to the problems you've been having with your personality, then I don't think it's worth it, because you're already aware of the existance of such a phenomenon (AS) and the possibility of you having it.

Hmm, you've got a good point. I should think about this a bit more then.

TimpaniRol wrote:
If you are in school, isn't this a free service??

It is? I have no idea. The only person I talk to about at school about this is my counselor, and she thought I was on my way to get a diagnosis through my psychiatrist, but my father wants to find a different psychiatrist.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Apr 2012, 11:34 pm

The service is free.

You really need an unbiased trained professional to diagnose you. You are far too young for self-diagnosis.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:46 pm

JonAZ wrote:

You really need an unbiased trained professional to diagnose you. You are far too young for self-diagnosis.

Yes, I am aware. I am only suspecting having the condition. I still have a lot of doubt, and that's why I'm unsure whether I should go see a professional about it or not.

How should I go with finding a professional then?