Aspies are spiritual or atheist while NT are religious?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

Well, since Aspies are better than NTs :roll: , then of course their Aspie spirits are better too. :roll:

makegod2020
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 1:40 pm

1000Knives, interesting to read your personal experiences.
Maybe I should not say this but my prejudice is that Ayn Rand
type of people do come through to be to be a bit Aspie in that
they are very much into objectivity and individualism and
don't they share that with Transhumanism? But I am a bit
overly sensitive to those kind of purely logical personalities.

I agree about the emotionalism they play on. Almost a kind of
"getting high on God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit that reminds
me of being chemically dependent on drugs and so on.

God being the ultimate inner drug whatever. Maybe that is why
I feel so drawn to religion and find Spirituality to be very solitare
in comparison to emotional religion. Okay even Eremites can
be very emotional in their "bliss" sitting in the cave all day long.

makegod2020
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 2:54 pm

Here is an example maybe?

Quote:
Why Seculars Don’t Sing
Tom Flynn

From Free Inquiry Mag. latest issue.
Link to the text

Quote:
Norman is the latest in a long line of commentators—Greg Epstein, anyone?—to write regretfully of our disinclination toward touching, singing, chanting, swaying, and such. “Why do we cut ourselves off,” they ask, “from so much that is part of our human heritage—from practices whose psychological effectiveness is easily documented?”

In this op-ed, I’m going to do something staunch seculars seldom do when faced with this question. I’m going to try answering it. I think secular humanists are not only right but wise to banish (for lack of a better catchall term) collective ritual practice from our (pardon the expression) sectarian observances. Why?

I think there are two broad grounds on which secular humanists—and I emphasize that adjective—disdain such practice: because it is erosive of rationality and because it denigrates the autonomy of the individual. Let’s examine these accusations one by one.

Now I can not say anything about Tom Flynn being Aspie or sharing some of our criteria
but he loves to see himself as a structured person that is rational and logical.
He dislike group emotionalism and so on. "disdain" it even.

I have felt like that too since a small kid and many other Aspies are more like that too.

Tom Flynn is not only feeling disdain for religious group emotionalism
he is against words like Spiritual too. Too much of other worldy or woo for him.

As I get it reading him.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

makegod2020 wrote:
1000Knives, interesting to read your personal experiences.
Maybe I should not say this but my prejudice is that Ayn Rand
type of people do come through to be to be a bit Aspie in that
they are very much into objectivity and individualism and
don't they share that with Transhumanism? But I am a bit
overly sensitive to those kind of purely logical personalities.

I agree about the emotionalism they play on. Almost a kind of
"getting high on God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit that reminds
me of being chemically dependent on drugs and so on.

God being the ultimate inner drug whatever. Maybe that is why
I feel so drawn to religion and find Spirituality to be very solitare
in comparison to emotional religion. Okay even Eremites can
be very emotional in their "bliss" sitting in the cave all day long.

Well Orthodox Christianity has plenty of room for solitary spirituality, we got monasteries, hermits, all that stuff even in present day. Pope Shenhuda, Patriarch of Egypt who just died a month or so ago, he was actually a hermit for like 15 years and then was elected the Patriarch. That said, my priest recommends against hermitage to run away from the world, it's a touchy subject and all but some people are called to that. I guess in someone like Pope Shenhuda's case, you'd probably be a bit of an Aspie to be a hermit for 15 years, never marry in your whole life, etc. That said, you can't make absolute statements regarding someone's mental state, as you're not them, you're not trained to, etc. Who knows.

I believe the Orthodox Church is the true church of Christ. However, at the same time, I have to conclude that there's "grace" in some other churches, and God dispenses his grace according to his goodwill. Officially, the term used for non-Orthodox but Christian churches is "heterodox" or "other believing." Now with what I know of Aspergers and other mental differences in people, I guess things make sense. As much as sometimes I'd like to point out the error in a lot of Pentecostal/Charismatic churches, and go spend like 800 hours arguing with them, they are preaching the Gospel to the best of their ability, they do believe in Jesus Christ as Savior, they're just...different. So, I just pray God's will is done, and his Kingdom comes.

However, the danger in not being Orthodox imo is that, you don't get the "filter" of what the church has always believed. Some of these groups have departed into the oldest of heresies just because they "moved with the Spirit" and whatnot, so there is a real danger from a Christian perspective in that regard, I think. Some groups that come to mind are Oneness Pentecostals (Arianism) and Mormons (Gnosticism.) Also, some of the "signs" like wriggling around on the floor and whatnot at revival meetings aren't necessarily good signs. Some of these signs, if you go back and read lives of the saints and stuff are associated with demon possession. http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/slain.htm This is a good page about that sort of thing (the guy writing is a Protestant, though.)

I can kinda ramble about this sorta thing forever. So I'm gonna kinda stop now. It's hard for me now, though, as many of my "friends" from my old church sorta think I went off the deep end with my Orthodox conversion. They're like "how can you be in that ritualistic and "dead" (I put this in quotes) church?" It's just such a conflict for them. I guess I appreciate this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3Ix_8g0no[/youtube]

over stuff like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DuXD6DSTms[/youtube]

Oh well, more rambling I can do, but I'll stop. God bless.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

Humans are primates descendants of the Bonobo and Chimpanzee in other words Apes. That is why we have poseable thumbs. It all happened throughout evolution. Some of the earliest life forms were of course microbes which were created from mixtures of certain chemicals creating DNA. The creation of DNA was due to a specific chemical reaction and overtime microbes changed and mutated and so forth. When something was created it was made by other matter nothing was made out of nothing out of thin air. If that was true we might as well believe in genies.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Humans are primates descendants of the Bonobo and Chimpanzee in other words Apes. That is why we have poseable thumbs. It all happened throughout evolution. Some of the earliest life forms were of course microbes which were created from mixtures of certain chemicals creating DNA. The creation of DNA was due to a specific chemical reaction and overtime microbes changed and mutated and so forth. When something was created it was made by other matter nothing was made out of nothing out of thin air. If that was true we might as well believe in genies.

The Aspies are Bonobos. The NTs are Chimpanzees.

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:14 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

We do not descend from chimpanzees. We share a common ancestor

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:28 pm

Vigilans wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

We do not descend from chimpanzees. We share a common ancestor

True. We inherited all the bad habits the chimps inherited plus we are smart enough to talk and bamboozle ourselves.

ruveyn

makegod2020
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2012, 1:10 am

Thanks 1000Knives, we have a few converts to Orthodoxy in Sweden too.
They interviews on on Svt.se

Swedes are very much Protestant and Lutheran.
So I am a Protestant atheist seen from that perspective.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 6:26 am

I can fully under stand your point of view 1000knives. It is ironic: aspies may find the noise and activity just too much, and the Fundamentals may find our independance too much. However, a lot of aspies have qualities which they very much need, and that is often not appreciated. I am thinking of Intense World Syndrome, if you believe it. That kind of sensitivity can make it possible to pick up on vibes. But I'd be interested to know what others experience as far as that is concerned. I may be wrong.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

Not all of us are atheist or have "odd" beliefs, but i can see why i a lot of us would.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2013, 3:16 am

I'm Aspie and I'm a christian. My religious views happen to be very important to me. Plz don't put me into a stereotypical box, that's very uncomfortable for me.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 10:21 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Not all of us are atheist or have "odd" beliefs, but i can see why i a lot of us would.

I was the latter and now I feel more like the former.

I was spiritual because I was too much of an imaginative magical thinker. I was capable of being rational but my irrational thoughts were so loud they pretty much dominated my personality.

My spirituality brought me nothing but disappointment. I despaired and the only way to feel better was to abandon it. That change of attitude happened over the course of the fall of 2012 so for pretty much my entire life I was spiritual in my own individual way. My attitude has just recently changed because my spirituality was actually damaging me emotionally.

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

Reindeer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Well If God was real I think he hates my guts and sends alot of bad fortune my way and sending the message to the rest of the world to hate judge and ridicule me because I am different. I know It sounds crazy but that is my take on it.

here is a piece of unsolicited advice from someone older than you. Try not to feel too sorry for yourself. Life is basically unfair, so accept that and Push On.

ruveyn

That wasn't nice said ;P you don't have to talk to people like that.

What are you talking about? That was good advice. It's natural to feel bad for yourself, but you have to rise above it or you are destined to live life as a loser. Life is a puzzle and a game. Solve it. Win it.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

I'm certainly religious. (I certainly have faults though.) I think life would be certainly pointless if not so.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

MadMonkey - this thread had been sleeping peacefully for almost a year before being raised from the dead a few posts back, and Reindeer last visited WP on Sep 17, 2012.
He's unlikely to answer. :wink: