Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

emilyrianna
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2012, 7:07 am

I'm a brand-newly-discovered Aspie, and it was the characteristic of an 'odd gait' or 'toewalking' that finally convinced my mother I very likely have AS. It's bugged my family my whole life, but of course, I didn't even realize I was doing it... Enough people teased me that I taught myself how to at least TRY and walk without putting my toe down first, so now, whenever one sees me out and about and walking "normally", in my head I'm saying, "Heel toe heel toe heel toe". I'm wondering, will NOT toe walking always have to be a conscious decision? Or will I have to repeat my litany of "heel toe, heel toe, heel toe" for forever?

dancingplatypus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2012, 7:48 am

Sketchers has a kind of shoe called Shape-up. I also own MBT's. I like color, and both of these are in black, but the curved sole makes it look like I'm walking correctly. It makes a normal gait easier to approximate. When I'm stressed I still get a little stiff, but it's harder to tell. Recently I found Sketchers Stride in bright red and bright blue. They aren't quite the same, but they seem like they are built for tip toeing. When I'm in weird mode, I look terrible walking in them, but otherwise its easy to appear normal when walk... wait... are these a women's shoe?

Now that I know of the Aspie connection, I love seeing people toe walk. I don't feel so alone.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 7:49 am

A user on here reported that those shoes with the rocker-shaped soles that are supposed to tone your butt actually had the side effect of curing her awkward gait. I think the brand she had were Skechers Shape-Ups, but the other major athletic shoe companies also make toning shoes.

MissMikkyy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

emilyrianna wrote:
I'm a brand-newly-discovered Aspie, and it was the characteristic of an 'odd gait' or 'toewalking' that finally convinced my mother I very likely have AS. It's bugged my family my whole life, but of course, I didn't even realize I was doing it... Enough people teased me that I taught myself how to at least TRY and walk without putting my toe down first, so now, whenever one sees me out and about and walking "normally", in my head I'm saying, "Heel toe heel toe heel toe". I'm wondering, will NOT toe walking always have to be a conscious decision? Or will I have to repeat my litany of "heel toe, heel toe, heel toe" for forever?

It all depends. I used to toewalk when I was younger, and it was so bad that my mom became concerned for my joints and had me fitted with special weights on my ankles. But now my brain has kind of rewired itself so that I'm about 99% NT I'd say and I no longer have that problem. My dad is aspergers and he used to have to do the "heel toe heel toe" thing but he no longer does. But others may always have the problem. So it depends on the person. Good luck! :)

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

if you start early enough and keep practicing, it can become semi-automatic.
i walk normal-ish usually, but if i'm stressed, i revert to tip-toes, unless i remind myself not to, but that's only at the start
once i take 2 steps in the 'normal' way, i then keep walking normally untill i stand still.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

As a kid, I toe walked so frequently that one of my achilles tendons is permanently too short. I had to teach myself "heel toe heel toe" but I still revert to toe walking if I'm overloaded/overwhelmed/stressed. But because of the short achilles tendon, I tend to walk funny anyway.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

I usually toe walk after I wake up from bed :lol: .

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

I tend to unconciously switch between toe and normal walking. Neither one is really more comfortable, but I do find I toe walk more when I'm in a good mood.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

It's not "toe walking". It's "ninja walking"...

I do it when I want to move quickly across my squeaky floor.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

Have you considered high heels? I don't know if it'd work ... Just a thought

emilyrianna
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2012, 7:42 pm

bnky wrote:
Have you considered high heels? I don't know if it'd work ... Just a thought

I looooove wearing heels; it's the only time I can walk to-and-fro stress free! The only problem with the heel solution is that I have relatively large, broad feet and the stylish brands that even MAKE women's size 11 shoes usually are too narrow for me :?