Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 7:53 am

Anyone going to see this movie? I think its comes out April 13th. Ugh Friday the 13th!
It looks good and the voices are very much like the original! I love classic comedies like 3 Stooges and I Love Lucy. I don't know if anyone can play Lucille Ball's character. She always made my day happier.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 9:31 am

I thought this new movie was going to be a remake of the original bio pic of them. If so, it is not likely to be too funny, but rather sad, instead. The original bio pic told of how they were screwed by some very unscrupulous men in Hollywood. When the 3 Stooges started to hit the big time on stages, these crooks from Hollywood approached them to sign them up to do movies. Unfortunately, the Stooges were not biz savvy, couldn't understand the legalese of the contract, and didn't have a lawyer of their own helping them. They basically ended up signing away their souls for pennies in return. The crooks over worked them, and kept almost all of the money the Stooges earned, leaving the Stooges to struggle along in poverty, while earning so much for the crooks. Because of the terms of the contract, they were unable to quit and work for another movie outfit, or start their own. Their movies made these crooks rich, but the Stooges stayed poor. I think they did finally get into court over this, and were able to get out of the contract, but were not able to do movies again. They did go back onstage for a while, and make other public appearances, too, without a contractual obligation to those crooks, so they were able to make some money that way, but they were getting old and worn out by that time, and the public's humor tastes were changing, too.

I remember that the guy who played in the TV series The Commish, and later as a convict in another series, played the first bald stooge. He was incredibly well cast. He not only looked and acted the part, but he even managed to sound a whole lot like the guy. The other actors in that original bio pic were pretty good, too. I just wish they had never signed up with those crooks. It was heartbreaking what those thugs put those hard working Stooges through. :cry:

In case anyone doubts it was hard work, remember, some of those slap stick stunts could hurt someone if done wrong. They had to be choreographed, and rehearsed, over and over, along with other stuff involved in making the movies. It takes long days of work to get films made, as the support staff gets paid every day, so the fewer days it takes to film a movie or TV show, the less days the support staff have to be paid, and the more money left over for those who reap the profits. So this leads to people being worked very long hours per day, to shorten the number of days it takes to make the program.

Let what happened to the Stooges be a lesson to everyone. If you don't understand a contract don't sign it, unless you get a lawyer of your own to explain it to you. Do not accept "help" from the lawyers of the other parties to the contract, as they are representing the other parties, and not you. Get your OWN attorney!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 3:17 am

I like the original 3 Stooges, and I think the movie will stay true to the spirit of the originals, judging by the trailers. However, my dad and brother, who are much bigger Stooge fans than me, think it's impossible to do a good Stooge movie without the original actors, and my brother says the movie's going to suck because "the humor they'll use is too childish". Never mind the fact that the original 3 Stooges was rated G...

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

This film looks way too painful to watch, and this is just judging from the publicity stills. If nothing wants to make me even watch the trailer (which I hear is just as lame), that seeing the film itself is right out.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Judging from the trailer, the three actors have their parts down pat. They all look pretty close to the original actors too. I used to be a big stooge buff and I think this is going to be mostly good and faithful to the originals, though modernized.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

I will not be watching the 3 stoodges in theater I mean it will have nothing to do with the original three stooges and will have to much to do with pop culture and plus the Jersey Shore will appear in the movie :wall:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

I actually like the idea of a modern day, PG-rated Stooges film, but the Farrelly brothers weren't the right guys to do it. They've been batting zero for years; their last movie worth watching was Kingpin, which was 16 years ago. (Me, Myself & Irene has its moments, but overall it's another loser.) I like the cast and I'll admit to getting a mild chuckle here and there when watching the trailers, but it looks awful for the most part. I knew it was really doomed once I saw the Jersey Shore cameos; any comedy that resorts to cheap pop culture references probably doesn't have much to offer. I thought that movies lie Have Rocket, Will Travel and Snow White and the Three Stooges were pretty lame, but they're probably better than what the Farrellys have made.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

The original three stooges where the best :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

I once read a story in the old Twilight Zone Magazine years ago, in which a "black and white" Curly appears as if he had just stepped out of an old Three Stooges movie. Having been arrested for causing all sorts of mischief, the narrator - a secret Stooge fan - tells how the late Carl Sagan and other scientists believe Curly had been projected from some other planet after they had picked up a stooge broadcast out in space. The narrator suspects that the anonymous alien planet may have believed it was an attack, since humor has its cruel side, and so sent a counterattack. Carl Sagan and other scientists had dressed as the other stooges in order to try to get Curly to open up in front of a stadium audience. After the scientists put on a stooge act, Curly suddenly multiplied exponentially, and ran rampant all over New York city - then vanished with the dawn. In closing, the author spoke of his nightmares of being carried in hand by a gigantic Curly as he climbed the Empire State building.
Very memorable, funny story.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:45 pm

Joker wrote:
I will not be watching the 3 stoodges in theater I mean it will have nothing to do with the original three stooges and will have to much to do with pop culture and plus the Jersey Shore will appear in the movie :wall:

Yeah, but I like the way Moe sticks it to Snooki, much like most of the rest of the world would like to.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:47 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:

Yeah, but I like the way Moe sticks it to Snooki, much like most of the rest of the world would like to.

That is one reason to see it but WIll Sasso is playing Curly that is just yuck :x

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

Joker wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:

That is one reason to see it but WIll Sasso is playing Curly that is just yuck :x

I miss MadTV.

Also, it's weird that they are trying to save a Catholic orphanage in the movie, despite the real Stooges being Jewish (except for Joe DeRita).

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:

I miss MadTV.

Also, it's weird that they are trying to save a Catholic orphanage in the movie, despite the real Stooges being Jewish (except for Joe DeRita).

Yeah I know what is up with that Moe Curly and Howard where all Jewish not Catholic :lol:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:

I miss MadTV.

Tell me about it!! ! I miss Mad TV and especially "IN LIVING COLOR". I didn't find Joe DeRita funny at all. Shemp cracked me up! Especially, "Look Lady! I ain't your cousin Basil"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

Joker wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Joker wrote:

I miss MadTV.

Yeah I know what is up with that Moe Curly and Howard where all Jewish not Catholic :lol:

Moe, Curly, and Shemp were all brothers (Howard was their last name--actually it was Horwitz, but they changed it for the stage). It was Curly --> Shemp --> Joe Besser --> Joe DeRita.

Though not an official Stooge, Emil Sitka "succeeded" Larry Fine in 1970.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
It was Curly --> Shemp --> Joe Besser --> Joe DeRita.

Though not an official Stooge, Emil Sitka "succeeded" Larry Fine in 1970.

Technically, it was Shemp, Curly, Shemp, Joe, Curly Joe. Shemp replaced his replacement.

Shemp is my favorite Stooge, by the way. Surely I'm not alone on this?

I also think Joe and Curly Joe are unfairly overlooked, but they're certainly the "worst" two Stooges. It would have been interesting to see Emil Sitka's "Harry," but the act was dead at that point.